What's new

Newbie checking in

Good morning,

I'm new to the whole wetshaving world, been lurking on here and a couple other places without registering for a couple months, and made the jump to a DE razor (Van Der Hagen) 3 weeks ago. Tried the vdh blades (blech) and Kroger brand (which I understand are personna barbers), having much better luck with the later. vdh badger brush and probably too inconsistant with prep still (been experimenting with vdh Luxury soap, ToBS Mr. Taylor, and Cremo so far).

I was always one who put off shaving as long as possible, usually looking pretty bad because of it, and of course hating the shave more than anything because, if you go 3-5 weeks between shaves, anything is torture.
My boss never really cared about how I looked, and neither did their bosses. However, I realized that I am getting to the point where I'm dealing with higher level execs from other parts of my company, and I'd eventually like to move up. Also, our divsion head retired, and I decided to clean myself up for whoever took his place.

I set up a dollar shave club membership, 4 blade, and bought the shave butter. I had never seen anything like the shave butter before. That lead me to doing web searches on it, which led to searches on other shaving cream, which led to wet shaving info and me cancelling the DSC membership after 2 months and buying a vdh DE razor.

A strange tale, and a brave new world out there...

Welcome to the Forum; enjoy your time here. Enter your data in the Hall of Fame Section if so inclined and check out the Shave Wiki Section for tips on getting started, gear, etc. Many of us have gone from dreading the morning shave to actually enjoying it; with a little luck and persistence you may get to that point as well!

Actually I'm already enjoying it most of the time (still a little apprehensive about nicks). I just let it go an extra day or 2 if I've had too many nicks the last time. Found REALLY quickly that those nicks tend to reopen if you don't give them a good 36-48 hrs to heal up ;)

Of course, I'm also probably rushing things (in terms of trying too much, too soon) and already trying some ATG if I'm not bleeding after 2 WTG passes.

Another newbie to DE shaving here as well. Lot's of great info here for taking the plunge. I have found that taking your time and getting the technique down has helped. Practice does make things much easier.

I recently started out with the VDH stuff too, because it was readily available. I like their soap, but I have recently purchased a new Edwin Jagger DE89L Razor. A completely different shaving experience, let me tell you. As far as the little nicks and so on, get yourself a stiptik pencil. Also at walmart. Just remember, don't put any pressure on the razor head as you are shaving. The razor was on sale at Amazon for less that $30.00. I hope my own newbie experience helps you.

Kevin

Hello and welcome to B&B, DBMonk. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Yeah, when I got the Mr Taylor cream, I also grabbed a 2 pack of osma alum blocks, in addition to a styptic pencil I already had. Alum/styptic is my friend :)

Top Bottom