What's new

Newbie checking in!

Usually go to forums for most things so here I am trying something new. Just bought a 1975 Gillette Super Adjust for a decent price and bought a Van Der Hagen shave set and a set of Derby blades to get myself started. Probably later on I'll buy a better set but I'm gonna start off with this and see how it goes. Any Tips or things to remember or try? I'll be around the forums lingering. Thanks guys! :lol:

Welcome aboard!!! I would say you have a decent start up set. I would suggest getting a couple more brands of blades to compare with. But don't switch allot. I would stick with one brand for a month or so, then switch to a different brand. If you switch too often, you will give a bad rep to the blade. Your first couple of months, give or take, are basically relearning how to shave. Technique and time will be your friend!!!:thumbup1:

Shave tips
Welcome to the club! You've gotten lots of good advice. For me, it boils down to striving for a pinkless, irritation free shave. As your technique improves the amount of hair left on your face will lessen.

Here are the tips that chased the pink away for me...

Keep your face slippery, don't skimp on the soap..., it's cheaper than band-aids
Choose a blade that doesn't hesitate/stutter when it gets to the heavier parts of your beard
Change that blade when it starts to hesitate/stutter. Even if it is in the middle of a shave. - Don't be cheap!
No pressure, no pressure, no pressure
Aggressiveness is not always best - In my case, going super mild and making multiple strokes gave me better results than using fewer, more aggressive strokes.
Watch the blade's angle as it goes across your face, adjust the angle to keep it consistent
Don't let the razor slip sideways - I learned, as you did, this is not good...I scared my wife half-to-death and me along with her...
Don't go ATG until your WTG and XTG passes are irritation-free and pinkless.
Parts of your face will be cooperative - easy to get these smooth
Parts of your face might be uncooperative - take your time getting these smooth enough to get you through the day
Your daily goal should be as fine a shave as you can get without irritation, pink foam, blood spots, gushers, etc... The end point quality of your shave will improve as your technique improves.

I aim for an all around DFS. Some parts of my face, my cheeks and sideburns, are BBS. My Adam's Apple is going to be SAS. My neck, circular overlapping patterns uber allis, is now close to DFS across the board. That took well over a month to achieve. I am still working on my upper lip technique. (I'm a trumpet/trombone player. Lots of unusual muscles have built up under the skin over the last 50 years. The skin likes to ride up over the muscle strands when I go ATG.)

Hi m3tr1c, welcome to B&B!

When you get a chance, please head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us all a bit more about yourself. There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to beginning shavers--perhaps you might like to have a look at them. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

Keep your face slippery, don't skimp on the soap..., it's cheaper than band-aids
Choose a blade that doesn't hesitate/stutter when it gets to the heavier parts of your beard
Change that blade when it starts to hesitate/stutter. Even if it is in the middle of a shave. - Don't be cheap!
No pressure, no pressure, no pressure
Aggressiveness is not always best - In my case, going super mild and making multiple strokes gave me better results than using fewer, more aggressive strokes.
Watch the blade's angle as it goes across your face, adjust the angle to keep it consistent
Don't let the razor slip sideways - I learned, as you did, this is not good...I scared my wife half-to-death and me along with her...
Don't go ATG until your WTG and XTG passes are irritation-free and pinkless.
Parts of your face will be cooperative - easy to get these smooth
Parts of your face might be uncooperative - take your time getting these smooth enough to get you through the day
Your daily goal should be as fine a shave as you can get without irritation, pink foam, blood spots, gushers, etc... The end point quality of your shave will improve as your technique improves.

Beerhunter, very nice.

Last edited:
Heh yes I should check my updates more often. Just waiting for my blade to come in. I just found out my bowl and cream were sold out so need a new kit. Apparently a local walgreens has a van der hagen set for around 10 bucks. I'll probably buy a better kit a bit later but gonna use that for now.

So got the razor. I'll send some pics a little later. Problems i had were I couldn't get the soap to really lather correctly. got a few pulls and just can't seem to get the right angle when holding the razor. Doesn't feel like its shaving correctly.

Welcome to B&B. Follow the links in Wingnut's post. All the info you need is contained there. Keep us posted on your experiences! One thing I will suggest: NO PRESSURE on the razor. None.

Top Bottom