What's new

Newbie checking in!

I have been smoking cigars on and off for the last 10 years or so but I never really found a sweet spot or a cigar I really liked, so when a friend said "would you like to try smoking a pipe?" I said "sure!" and I was off. This week we went to a nice tobacco store in Munich and I got myself a starter kit. I just had my first smoke but I think I did not pack it tight enough because the pipe seemed to run a little hot. Nonetheless, I found the experience very fulfilling and I am already looking forward to my next trial. The big question is, how do I explain to SWMBO that I need a Meerschaum on top of the further straight razors I want to buy?

The big question is, how do I explain to SWMBO that I need a Meerschaum on top of the further straight razors I want to buy?

Haha. I wish I knew the answer to that one. Pretty sure you got to wait till the perfect moment though.

This thread should help you learn to pack it just right, still will be some trial and error.

Welcome to the Brown Leaf Gustav!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Welcome, Gustav. I like cigars, but there is no way I could afford them every day. The pipe is the way to go.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Welcome Gustav. I'm glad you found something you enjoy. As far as the meerschaum issue, isn't meerschaum a German word? I think it's your national duty buy one and smoke from it.

Oh good, I'm not the newest guy for pipes anymore :)

Welcome, there's plenty to learn and to enjoy. Cheers!

Welcome to the community; glad to have you!

As for SWMBO since you already have other ADs then you know it's key to pick your battles. My wife is very money minded because she's an accountant (or maybe the egg came first?). It's not that she's a tight-wad or anything; she just assigns value to some things differently than I do. So the key to winning her over is usually finding good deals on stuff the stuff I want. This of course is mutually beneficial since she doesn't nag me about the spending, & I get more for my money.

It's also always good to mention how cathartic & relaxing pipe smoking is for you. If stress can really kill you then logic says that relaxing with a pipe on a semi-regular basis could save your life!

Thanks for all the good advice and for the joyful camaraderie. I will have a look at some videos and do a follow-up experiment this evening.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hi Gustav! I too started a little over a month ago, and only just recently has everything started to come together. Lots of great info in the sticky, but I think, just like everything else, it just takes practice. Pipe tobacco is truly delicious!

Hi Gustav! I too started a little over a month ago, and only just recently has everything started to come together. Lots of great info in the sticky, but I think, just like everything else, it just takes practice. Pipe tobacco is truly delicious!

Nice of you to chime in, dear old straight razor mentor (that is you, Luc and Sanfranciscan).

Today's pipe is more tightly packed, draw is still very good and it does not seem to overheat but I am having to relight quite often. Tabacco seems more aromatic today. I am using a cheap Italian briar and coarsely cut vendors brand tobacco which the vendor recommended to avoid overpacking. I am enjoying the trial and error. For me this is so much more than smoking cigarillos.

I seem to be struggling when it comes to lighting evenly although I am using a pipe lighter!

Whilst tampering, do you draw at the same time?

I am halfway now and after some relights, I am getting plenty of aromatic smoke by drawing feebly as if I was trying to suck a loose rice crispy through a straw. The bowl is a touch hot but I can still clasp it tight in my hand without it being uncomfortable. The taste in my mouth is mellower than with cigars and much more rich.

On the whole, despit a few hitches this was a vast improvement.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
How the honing going?

I still relight a bunch of times, but some bowls less than others. I did notice a gentle sucking action on the relight allows you to move the flame around the whole bowl to get a good light. Hard sucking seems to just pull the flame straight down and only the small center portion lights...then gets hot...then goes out. YMMV as always :smile:.

I have not honed anything for a couple of months. With two young kids to take care of, I just cannot seem to find the time. During the summer I will lay my hands on a huge chunk of a coticule so then I will have to make time somehow.

Yesterday, I got third time lucky! Throughout, I have been using Frank's method a.k.a. German packing and yesterday I got it just right. The first time packing was too lose resulting in overheating of the bowl, the second time I got it too tight, which was better but resulted in my having to relight all the time and yesterday it was just right. I was also helped a lot by Kent's tip not to puff like a maniac whilst lighting. Once lit and tampered down the tobacco burned slowly and evenly discharging delectable whisps of smoke into my mouth just by sucking ever so lightly on it. Today I am wearing the same jumper as I had on when I was smoking. At least with the tobacco I am using, my clothes do not stink.

I think I am hooked!

Top Bottom