What's new

Newbie checking in with a vintage Gillette Slim.

Greetings,

I've searched this board for information in the past, and figured it would be time to introduce myself, and show you my one and only (so far) DE. It's an interesting one!

I found this Gillette Slim in a drawer decades ago. Obviously, I believe it was my father's. I have never seen him use it. I only recall him seeing him use cartridge razors. Now, if I trust all the date charts, this was made in the second quarter of '67. At this point, my father would have been 28 years old. Unfortunately, he passed in '87, and I found it after that, so I never could ask him about it. Being North African, I actually *was* shaving a bit by then (12 years old!), but used some of his cartridge razors.

I have a full, coarse beard, but still have been using it for decades. At first, I had a goatee, so used it for that. Now, I use it for my cheeks, neck, and, thanks to the cruel joke that is nature, my entire head!

Does anyone else use a DE for their head? It certainly will make sure you take your time and focus properly. I am considering making the move to a straight razor. Anyone use one of those for their head? Already looking into those, I can see I have a lot more reading to do.

1624312559508.png

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

(is there supposed to be a cap over the bottom of the handle here? I can always make one if need be.)

Right now, I am using Astra Superior Platinum blades with it (dirt cheap for a box of 100, so why not?). I have a few silver haired badger brushes (first one from Art of Shaving years ago, latest one from Fendrihan, so I can use the other one in the shower if I'm just doing a touch up with a cartridge razor. Finally threw out the cheap Wilkinson synthetic one I bought decades ago, since they are, quite frankly...not good in comparison.)

Cheers to all, and thanks for all the advice you don't know you've given me, and all forthcoming one.

The slim is a great razor. The fact that it was your father's makes it an incredible razor. I don't have a slim anymore, as I passed it along to one of my sons, but I don't recall a cap on the end.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B. That razor is a beauty. My Slim has no cap on the end and I don't recall seeing any with a cap.

Dang,that's a really nice looking slim in great condition..yea mate,i head shave with my slim😎..works awesome!!fwiw i use feather blades with it.its a mint combo for me

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
The slim is a great razor. The fact that it was your father's makes it an incredible razor. I don't have a slim anymore, as I passed it along to one of my sons, but I don't recall a cap on the end.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Like @Lightcs1776, I too passed dad’s Slim to my son. It is arguably Gillette’s greatest razor, and yours appears to be I. Great shape. While you may not have seen your dad use it, the black paint missing from the numbers indicates he did.

Enjoy your priceless heirloom for decades, then pass it along to the next generation!

Welcome. I hope we hear more from you!

My son has used a three piece DE slant, the iKon X3, for his head shaves for several years. It is a milder slant. He strictly uses Astra SP blades.

The adjustable Slim seems like a great option if you want to use one razor on both face and scalp.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia Phil. Thanks for checking in with us and sharing your experience with us.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
......(is there supposed to be a cap over the bottom of the handle here? I can always make one if need be.)......

Welcome to B&B! :D

You got a very beautiful slim.
Regarding the bottom of the slim handle, please rest assured that this is its original appearance and no additional cover is needed.

Top Bottom