What's new

Newbie checking in from Ohio

I have been reading lots of comments from the forums and decided I need to join so I can learn more about DE shaving and maybe pass on my experiences.

I started Wet Shaving back in March this year. My adventure proves you can teach an old dog new tricks. I am 67 years young and started off shaving with an electric razor. Progressed to cartridges and did the run of all available from 2 to 6 blades and never was happy with my shave.

So after watching a few YouTube videos I took the plunge and bought EJ 89 KN14bl, a Perfecto boar brush, razor & brush holder and Perfecto SS lather bowl. I first tried Cremo and that just didn’t satisfy, so I ordered some Proraso blue cream. First couple shaves weren’t bad, but plenty of nicks. So got septic pencil. Then RAD hit with a vengeance! Bought an EJ 89 black Handle with the laser cut. Now have a ‘49 SS, ‘52 SS, ‘56 flair tip, ‘58 Fatboy, ‘63 Slim, a Muhle R89 with Rose Gold handle and my newest find was a ‘69 Super 109 with original case and blades in almost new condition.

I have pretty much gotten to a BBS shave most everyday it has taken some patience and practice but attainable. Purchased Proraso Sensitive preshave and shave cream plus a tub of TOOBS Sandlewood cream and three Maggard stainless steel handles for the EJ’s and Muhle and a Fendrihan synthetic brush too. I like all my razors, but keep going back to the EJ’s or the slim.

My best advice is buy sample packs of blades as you need to find what suits you. I am liking Feathers and Gillette Platinums so far, but going back to try others again.

I still am learning and appreciate all the advice given in these forums!

I have been reading lots of comments from the forums and decided I need to join so I can learn more about DE shaving and maybe pass on my experiences.

I started Wet Shaving back in March this year. My adventure proves you can teach an old dog new tricks. I am 67 years young and started off shaving with an electric razor. Progressed to cartridges and did the run of all available from 2 to 6 blades and never was happy with my shave.

So after watching a few YouTube videos I took the plunge and bought EJ 89 KN14bl, a Perfecto boar brush, razor & brush holder and Perfecto SS lather bowl. I first tried Cremo and that just didn’t satisfy, so I ordered some Proraso blue cream. First couple shaves weren’t bad, but plenty of nicks. So got septic pencil. Then RAD hit with a vengeance! Bought an EJ 89 black Handle with the laser cut. Now have a ‘49 SS, ‘52 SS, ‘56 flair tip, ‘58 Fatboy, ‘63 Slim, a Muhle R89 with Rose Gold handle and my newest find was a ‘69 Super 109 with original case and blades in almost new condition.

I have pretty much gotten to a BBS shave most everyday it has taken some patience and practice but attainable. Purchased Proraso Sensitive preshave and shave cream plus a tub of TOOBS Sandlewood cream and three Maggard stainless steel handles for the EJ’s and Muhle and a Fendrihan synthetic brush too. I like all my razors, but keep going back to the EJ’s or the slim.

My best advice is buy sample packs of blades as you need to find what suits you. I am liking Feathers and Gillette Platinums so far, but going back to try others again.

I still am learning and appreciate all the advice given in these forums!

Awesome sharing and welcome!

Thank you all for your responses. It takes forums like this one for us newbies to learn the right techniques. Then of course those of us who get RAD to desire additional tools and products we learn about. While it is cheaper and better to shave with a DE razor because of the price of blades it can get expensive purchasing additional supplies. However, I now consider shaving an enjoyable hobby and the cost just flows with what you can afford. Keep up the great questions and comments so we all can learn from each other.

Welcome fellow Ohioan! There is so much knowledge here that you don't have to look elsewhere. The members are very helpful and oh yea, enabling!

Top Bottom