What's new

Newbie. Checking in from Memphis.

When I got married. Wife bought me a Merkur Futor Polished Kit & Bowl. Great investment and used regularly in the military. Post military carried a beard for the first 2 years. Now I am back to the safety razor. Exploring the products, and was recommended this forum.

Setup:
Merkur Futor Polished 4-Piece Shaving Kit.

Blades:
Merkur Platinum

Soap:
have been using the 3 inch pucks from classic shaving, but have begun to branch out.

This week bought

Bannister & Mann Bay Rum Soap/Afteshave
Bannister & Mann 41 Soap/Aftershave

Used the Bay Rum today and built a great lather, and the aftershave soothed and carried a bold scent that my wife seemed to enjoy quite a bit.

Looking forward to learning more and trying new recommendation.

Welcome @2ltdjorn, glad you've joined us. This is a wonderful pastime, you've got a nice set-up, enjoy! If you would like to try some other blades that are considered by some to be nice blades, PM me your address & I'll send you some of the following:
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Nacet
Personna Red
I'm sure there will be a few others I'll put it for good measure.

Finding the right blade that sings in your razor is one of the pleasurable parts of this pastime. No worries whether you take me up on my offer, or not.

When I got married. Wife bought me a Merkur Futor Polished Kit & Bowl. Great investment and used regularly in the military. Post military carried a beard for the first 2 years. Now I am back to the safety razor. Exploring the products, and was recommended this forum.

Setup:

Blades:
Merkur Platinum

Soap:
have been using the 3 inch pucks from classic shaving, but have begun to branch out.

This week bought

Used the Bay Rum today and built a great lather, and the aftershave soothed and carried a bold scent that my wife seemed to enjoy quite a bit.

Welcome and the guys here are awesome.

If you can get decent shaves from a Merkur Platinum blade which is one of the less sharp blades out there I'm sure you'll throughly enjoy the better blades like gsb, BICs, Nacets etc.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Appreciate the cordial replies. I am really enjoying the information and knowledge shared amongst the forum.

There are countless DE razors to try, but I mostly use the old Gillettes. The single edge razors are also amazing, especially for heavy beards. Straight razors are mostly for the more obsessive or who are retired. I have well over a hundred different blades in my collection. You can source a very wide range on www.tryablade.com. I found the vendor to be excellent and he will surely have many other fans here.

My go to razor system is now the Feather Artist Club which has a rather steep learning curve, but also many advantages.

Setup:

Blades:
Merkur Platinum

Soap:

This week bought

So happy to welcome a former soldier to the forum :)!

I still have and love my Futur but I've a slightly larger razor collection now lol.

Vintage razors like the slims, fatboys, NSC, NLC, Rockets and especially English razors are fun to collect however, my daily driver is the razorock game changer 0.84.

Depending upon how aggressive or mild you prefer, a GC68 or GC84 is a good razor, so are karves. For blades I'll never recommend a Merkur.

I've relied upon this site's info as the author's preferences matches my own.
Razor Blade Sharpness Summary with Comparison Chart » refined shave

Perhaps a sample pack of decent blades is worth a shot. Stuff like GSBs, Nacets, 7 o'clock yellows n greens, Feathers, and BICs.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom