What's new

Newbie Checking in, $400 spent, no shave yet

I have been lurking in the forum for about two weeks now. I started with one shaving cream gift from a friend but I don't even shave with DE or SR. However, I'm a knife user with enough whetstones (1K/6K combo, and 3K/8K combo). I'm always practicing to get better. After 2 years, I finally want to start shaving with SR. First, I'm a person who likes to be practical and use everything I have without being wasteful, so I try to get the best of things within a reasonable budget. I got my Filarmonica 13 for first razor, then I figured I need gold dollar 66 to practice before I ruin my fili. After that, I need a strop. Researching in the forum, I got TM No.2 Strop. Then 0.5 micron films and Dan's ultra fine Black Arkansas, just to be safe. Stirling Soap Co full badger brush. I'm ready to go to the flea market this weekend to check if I can find some stones. Am I one of you now, what else am I missing?

The one thing I will say is resist the advice you will get to use an electric to hack down long growth before using a razor. With a straight razor, this is completely unnecessary and may do more harm than good. You just use shorter strokes and work your way through. A well know poster here has a video where he shaves off a full beard in one pass with one of his well known "method edge" razors. I am sure he will be happy to post it along with his usual sound advice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You might want to think long and hard before you wanna become one of those guy, just sayin'.....

No, seriously, welcome to Badger and Blade! These here feller's will set you on the right path. @rbscebu especially will save you some time and money.

You might want to think long and hard before you wanna become one of those guy, just sayin'.....

No, seriously, welcome to Badger and Blade! These here feller's will set you on the right path. @rbscebu especially will save you some time and money.
I followed his posts and even read the beginner pdf he posted. Great information

Welcome to B & B where the people are amazing and the information abounds by all of us occasionally exploring rabbit holes along with bouts of RAD, SAD, BAD.... and several other related acquisition disorders 😆

But seriously you did your homework and it sounds like you are starting on a firm foundation.

Welcome WenC! You’re off to a much better than average start. But…but…what’s missing is I don’t see any mention of Arko in your intro 😂….

Welcome WenC! You’re off to a much better than average start. But…but…what’s missing is I don’t see any mention of Arko in your intro 😂….
I looked into it! I asked my wife for her thoughts first if she might be okay with the smell. I think I will be fine. She told me to actually shave with SR and/or finish my proraso first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom