What's new

Newbie Check in

Howdy. I'm about 41 (July 7th) and just this past week I took up a DE safety razor for the first time.

Previously I was a sometimes on again/off again electric razor user and mostly a foam in a can with a cartridge razor user. When I was younger (16-18) the electric was fine and got a smooth shave but then those light hairs turned dark and tough and I resorted to disposable cartridges. First the cheap BIC throwaways and it progressed from there. When I was 19 and in the Navy I was frequently told by my CC's (boot camp) to go shave again. All this extra practice helped so that I wasn't bothered on the ship but I never got a BBS from that point on. The burn on my neck would get worse every year so that I would skip a day or two between shaves (after military of course). I lost my job a couple of years ago and have become a stay at home dad to my son who is 3-3/4 years old (and whose butt is about to get spanked if he doesn't go take his nap!). Being unemployed without the extra income I started to look at things differently. I had started to shave my head to stay cooler (I overheat easily due to my disability) and draw attention away from this ridiculous balding pattern I was experiencing. Shaving my head meant going through razors more often. I was down to one razor cartridge on my Mach 3(head) and one on my Hydro(face) [I was using Mach3 for both but found the Hydro caused less neck irritation and lasted longer on my face]. I made a trip to Wal-Mart and damn if the price hadn't gone up a few pennies more from when I last bought refills (the previous year I had some good coupons and scored good deals and had stocked up). I got tired of the irritation and high prices and went online to find a better way. I came across the Mantic59 and Geofatboy videos on Youtube and got inspired. I told my wife and for an early father's Day/Birthday gift she got me a Merkur 180 and a Parker Best badger shaving brush (this means that for my actual birthday I am getting nothing. Oh well). I picked up a German made travel razor from a antique store down the street the other day (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...hat-sells-junk-and-stuff-More-info?highlight=)
and have used that twice with a different lather prep. So far I am liking what I see and since using the travel razor I have noticed a lot less bumps on my neck. :biggrin1:

One more thing... After about 23 years I finally got a BBS shave this past week without all the pain and irritation that I normally get and I'm hooked.

Welcome and congrats on the BBS shave. The Mantic59 and Geofatboy videos are treasures that a many of have learned how to shave to proper way by watching. Me being one. Also, the guys on this site are very smart and know what they are talking about. I have just learned so much by reading through these forums everyday the past year and a half. Wetshaving is a pleasure worth the travel and money IMO. I used to hate shaving, now I love it and I'm sure many on this site will say the same.

I learned to use a safety razor by reading these forums and watching mantic. Such a huge wealth of information. Grats on irritation free bbs and welcome!

Thank you for the kind hello's. It's been one week now and I just took my Merkur 180 to my head and got as close a shave as my Mach3 but absolutely no irritation, bumps or anything. I just got done putting my Mach3, Hydro, foam in a can stuff in my travel bag for travel use only. Strictly DE shaving at home from here out.

Again, thank you for the nice welcomes.

Edit: I think it is funny that I put my Mach3 in a travel bag the same day I get the "In M3 Remission" title.

Last edited:
Top Bottom