What's new

Newbie check-in - is the hype real?

It feels weird to say I'm a newbie to shaving in my 50s, but for the last 30+ years, I've had a full beard. All this time I used an electric razor to shave my neck, upper cheeks and lower lip, and I was pretty lazy about shaving my neck a lot of the time. So the pandemic comes along, and I hated wearing a mask over the beard, so I thought maybe I'd try a circle beard... I was surprised to find I like it more than the full beard. But my face! It hadn't seen the light of day for most of my adult life and I found that shaving with an electric felt like I was scrubbing off stubble with a pumice stone. My cutters were old and I bought new, which brings weeks of it grabbing and pulling whiskers if I have more than a day's growth. (And I often did, since shaving was an uncomfortable chore.) On top of that, I'm half bald and have kept my hair at 1/8th of an inch when I get around to cutting it, and I decided the pandemic was a good time to try just shaving it. The electric works, but it feels like work, that pumice stone scrubbing.

So I looked into cartridge razors... OMG, I might as well stick a funnel in Gillette's bank account and pour my wallet in. I'm half Syrian and I have that middle-eastern thick black beard and curly hair. (Well, it used to be black... now my beard is mostly white, but it's still coarse.) One of those cheap disposable Bic razors lasts me a single, horrible, uncomfortable shave, so I know I'm cartridges aren't going to last me long.

Could I shave with a safety razor, like my dad used? Back when I was a kid, I touched the blade of his razor... I didn't feel a thing, but it drew blood. Old shows tell me safety razors are the road to nicks, cuts and bits of TP on my face. I don't remember my dad cutting himself (and he's not around to ask for advice anymore; cancer got him at 83 a couple years ago), but I was sure I'd be in for a long practice road. I literally have looked at doing this three separate times and backed off the first two.

But what the heck... those blades are practically free compared to cartridge razors. And everything I'm reading says "more comfortable, closer shave". Yeah, lotta hype, right? But what's there to lose... so I gave it a try. Two weeks in and I haven't cut myself yet. Still early in the technique learning curve... I thought I knew the grain on my head, but I had no idea parts of the back go nearly sideways. But my shaves are getting closer, and I'm getting faster at it.

A youtuber called this "a hobby" and I was like, "This isn't a hobb... never mind, it's a hobby." I find myself looking forward to tomorrow so I can shave again. I don't even know how long it takes me to shave... I just get lost in the process. I have a spreadsheet to track my blade reviews. I'm reading soap and after-shave reviews looking for what to try next. And the funny part is that they weren't lying... my shave is more comfortable, closer, and enjoyable than with an electric razor. And if it's a hobby, who cares if I spend a little on soaps or even a new razor now and then?

So I had to come here... my family is getting tired of listening to me talk about the wonders of DE shaving, and I need some like-minded folks to chat with.

It feels weird to say I'm a newbie to shaving in my 50s, but for the last 30+ years, I've had a full beard. All this time I used an electric razor to shave my neck, upper cheeks and lower lip, and I was pretty lazy about shaving my neck a lot of the time. So the pandemic comes along, and I hated wearing a mask over the beard, so I thought maybe I'd try a circle beard... I was surprised to find I like it more than the full beard. But my face! It hadn't seen the light of day for most of my adult life and I found that shaving with an electric felt like I was scrubbing off stubble with a pumice stone. My cutters were old and I bought new, which brings weeks of it grabbing and pulling whiskers if I have more than a day's growth. (And I often did, since shaving was an uncomfortable chore.) On top of that, I'm half bald and have kept my hair at 1/8th of an inch when I get around to cutting it, and I decided the pandemic was a good time to try just shaving it. The electric works, but it feels like work, that pumice stone scrubbing.

So I looked into cartridge razors... OMG, I might as well stick a funnel in Gillette's bank account and pour my wallet in. I'm half Syrian and I have that middle-eastern thick black beard and curly hair. (Well, it used to be black... now my beard is mostly white, but it's still coarse.) One of those cheap disposable Bic razors lasts me a single, horrible, uncomfortable shave, so I know I'm cartridges aren't going to last me long.

Could I shave with a safety razor, like my dad used? Back when I was a kid, I touched the blade of his razor... I didn't feel a thing, but it drew blood. Old shows tell me safety razors are the road to nicks, cuts and bits of TP on my face. I don't remember my dad cutting himself (and he's not around to ask for advice anymore; cancer got him at 83 a couple years ago), but I was sure I'd be in for a long practice road. I literally have looked at doing this three separate times and backed off the first two.

But what the heck... those blades are practically free compared to cartridge razors. And everything I'm reading says "more comfortable, closer shave". Yeah, lotta hype, right? But what's there to lose... so I gave it a try. Two weeks in and I haven't cut myself yet. Still early in the technique learning curve... I thought I knew the grain on my head, but I had no idea parts of the back go nearly sideways. But my shaves are getting closer, and I'm getting faster at it.

A youtuber called this "a hobby" and I was like, "This isn't a hobb... never mind, it's a hobby." I find myself looking forward to tomorrow so I can shave again. I don't even know how long it takes me to shave... I just get lost in the process. I have a spreadsheet to track my blade reviews. I'm reading soap and after-shave reviews looking for what to try next. And the funny part is that they weren't lying... my shave is more comfortable, closer, and enjoyable than with an electric razor. And if it's a hobby, who cares if I spend a little on soaps or even a new razor now and then?

So I had to come here... my family is getting tired of listening to me talk about the wonders of DE shaving, and I need some like-minded folks to chat with.
Well welcome to B&B. It’s not hype. As you’ve discovered for yourself it really does work. Razor blades are practically gratis compared to cartridges.
I warn you it sounds to me like you’ve already become afflicted with the acquisition disorder of acquiring and testing out different shave gear.
Mind you it’s a very deep rabbit hole you’re about to plunge into and the bottom hasn’t been discovered yet.
Good luck on your journey.

Welcome, you have come to the right place. We will chat for as long or as much as you like.

We have all been where you are, but it sounds like your learning curve was a lot shorter than mine. It took me 8 months before I had that aha moment and shaving got both more comfortable and closer.

One word of advice, if you don’t mind. During your experimenting phase be sure you are only changing one thing at a time. That is, change brands of blades while keeping everything else the same, and then shave with that setup for a week before you decide if it’s better or worse. If you change more than one thing, you are never really sure which item is responsible for the difference.

In addition to shaving, B&B offers a lot of forums for the gentlemanly arts. Clothing styles, photography, liquor, tobacco among other things. Look around in the various forums, you might find something else that interest you.

Again, welcome and good luck on your shaving quest.

7777672F-9F82-4D9B-B183-1A7386583EFD.jpeg

I know exactly where you are coming from, I am 65 and started wet shaving about 10 months ago. I shave in the evening when I get home and look forward to it everyday.

I have gone thru 5 razors to get to the one I have now this was the progression:

Edwin Jagger DE 89
EJ 3one6
Timeless Stainless Steel .68 gap
Timeless Ti Sb .95 gap
Timeless Ti OC .95 gap

Wolfman WR2 SB 1.35 gap

The EJ 3one6 is the razor that really made me work on my technique, the progression after that was fine tuning.

I have narrowed my soaps down to 7

Brushes is where I have a little bit of a problem I currently have 9 brushes with 3 on the way I am going to try and hold at 14, that will put me on a 2 week rotation with my brushes.

My Den is small compared to many on this site, but I am not a collector just user.

If you have questions about anything feel perfectly free to ask, if I don’t know someone on this site will.

Glad to have you on B&B

Happy Shaves

Doug

P.S. This is my current den
925557D0-9BFE-4E37-9D48-BCC42107BF40.jpeg
D6978055-9931-44A1-B598-F6F8D4C080D7.jpeg
BEE45ABD-77F5-4D24-B796-362AC33E6D3E.jpeg

Welcome aboard my friend.
Let me just tell you that you have come to the right place.
The folks in this community are knowledgeable, funny, and patient when asked countless questions.
I look forward to hearing about your shaving progress and experiences.
Take your time it’s a journey not a sprint, but most of all have fun.

I used to think DE razors were the old-fashioned way to shave that had been superseded by newer, better equipment. When I actually tried one... wow!

With thick hair you'll probably get on better with sharper blades like Feather, Nacet, Bic.

Welcome to B&B! I rediscovered shaving with safety razors 11 months ago at age 58. I never got a decent shave with a disposable razor but used cartridges for years with success and happiness. Back then it was just a daily chore to be done and over with as quickly as possible. Now I enjoy taking my time and using various shave gear and it really has become a hobby. In the beginning I thought that I would save money, and it can be done, but the search for better razors, brushes, blades etc has made saving money seem not as important. On a personal level, taking the time out of the day just for me, to groom myself and make myself feel better is a luxury that I indulge in daily and I think it is healthy thing. Enjoy your journey and feel free to come here and chat with like minded men doing manly things in a manly manner.

I used to think DE razors were the old-fashioned way to shave that had been superseded by newer, better equipment. When I actually tried one... wow!

With thick hair you'll probably get on better with sharper blades like Feather, Nacet, Bic.
I was very much the same way... new must be better, right? Especially because my dad switched from a DE to a cartridge razor and introduced me to shaving that way. In some ways they are "better" (they're generally faster and consistent, at least). But they come at the expense of cost or comfort. But I've hit a point in my life where I appreciate little things like the ritual of shaving in the morning, and speed isn't generally an issue for me. I regret not having discovered DE shaving sooner.

I have some sharper blades on my list... my first sample pack was 18 blades, and I've supplemented that with 9 more from Try a Blade. So far I actually like the Astra best, but I'm only on #9 in my list.

Top Bottom