What's new

Newbie Check-In, eh? Well, that's me.

Greetings!
I've started this journey with DE shaving about three weeks ago and glad I did not quit. Rough at first.
Now, thanks to the plethora of great information here, I've definitely made progress.
I want to thank all the folks here for spending their time helping others, and providing great reviews and photos.
I've made many mistakes.
A. Rushing
B. Not prepping well
C. Not lathering well after each pass. (Duh)
D-Z. Will take too long. :eek2:

My main issue now is beard mapping. My entire neck has hairs growing every which way, its truly crazy.
I can do BBS on my cheeks now without major effort. Don't think under my nose will ever happen. Oh well.

Currently using a 1930s Gillette SC which I purchased off da bay for 15 quatloos. I have a few others too, but I made the huge mistake
of buying several razors and several types of blades. Got overwhelmed to say the least. Trying to use a wee bit of self control now.
Thanks for reading. Many excellent shaves to all. 👍

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B, have some great shaves!
Beard mapping is a good way to improve your outcome of your shave, you will not get every angle perfect and under the jaw line you can get swirls and you just have to figure over time the best approach for those tough areas. 2-3 days growth will visually show you the way the grain direction is on your neck(most accurate method IMO) area where your indicating different directions. I have a few spots and usually come in at 3 angles on the touch up seems to get the little rascals. When your skill level increases I will J hook them also and that works well if I remember to use it, very aggressive razors may not J hook well and are not needed usually anyways.
I have this template that might help you also.(print one off) or take pictures of your face with your cell phone will help also.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Greetings!
I've started this journey with DE shaving about three weeks ago and glad I did not quit. Rough at first.
Now, thanks to the plethora of great information here, I've definitely made progress.
I want to thank all the folks here for spending their time helping others, and providing great reviews and photos.
I've made many mistakes.
A. Rushing
B. Not prepping well
C. Not lathering well after each pass. (Duh)
D-Z. Will take too long. :eek2:

My main issue now is beard mapping. My entire neck has hairs growing every which way, its truly crazy.
I can do BBS on my cheeks now without major effort. Don't think under my nose will ever happen. Oh well.

Currently using a 1930s Gillette SC which I purchased off da bay for 15 quatloos. I have a few others too, but I made the huge mistake
of buying several razors and several types of blades. Got overwhelmed to say the least. Trying to use a wee bit of self control now.
Thanks for reading. Many excellent shaves to all. 👍
Hi there and welcome to B&B! As all have mentioned this is a great place and a wonderful resource of shaving (and life) knowledge and wisdom!

The New SC is a great razor, some may disagree if the LC or short is 'better' but it seems to be mostly personal preference. I use both, and I get the impression the SC is a hint more efficient, then other days I get different results. So yeah..

What other razors did you pick up? If you got a Tech and Super Speed to play with, these may be more preferable training razors. Just a thought and others may disagree, but that's the currency on B&B, in a good way of course!

A solid bar razor may be better to figure out across - and the most tricky and most effective of all - against the grain. Don't be afraid of trying ATG on the moustache area, it's perfectly doable, just a very light touch and dropping the razor angle from steepish to shallow. For me it's still a work in progress.

See you around

Nice to have you here! There's a lot of collective wisdom here and a lot of experience (not from me ... I'm a relative n00b myself).
It's kind of fun and perhaps unavoidable that many of us probably buy too many razors and blades starting out. But, hey, it's part of the journey and it's been fun. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom