What's new

NEWBIE BLADE PIF!!!!

Fourth and Fifth shave with the 7 O'clock Super Platinum report

Fourth shave was with the Slim Adjustable set at 7 for the first pass WTG and dialed back to 5 for the second pass ATG/XTG and third pass for touch ups. As stated in my last report on this blade, I changed up the soap and went with Stirling Scots Pine Sheep. I had a very enjoyable DFS with no nicks, weepers, or irritation. I have one area on my neck that I almost always seem to have a little tugging regardless of the blade and it was minimal on this shave. I would give this one a 9/10

Fifth shave was with the same razor again only this time I dialed it in to 7 and left it there for the whole shave. Same soap this time as well. The shave was very comparable to the last only maybe jus ta tiny bit smoother. another 9 or maybe even a 9.5/10. I might note that I had no chattering with either of these shaves so I am thinking that I may have been in error when lathering the CBL soap or that it just isn't as slick as the Scots Pine Sheep.

I think for the next shave or two I am going to load the blade in a new to me pre-war fat handled Tech.

Pic from this morning.
View attachment 1210588
Glad to hear!!
By all means everyone has their own way.
But I'll share what I used to do with blades in rotation.
I would start them mild razors, then as I used them for more shaves I would move them to more aggressive razors as they started to feel a bit dull. Not that you have to try this, just some food for thought.
I'd start in a tech or superspeed or 34c or DE89 type, then move to slants, then move it to the aggressive OC I have.
Just another idea to try.
Some blades only work well for me in some razors.
Glad to see you trying different razors with them too. In the end, some blades just don't work with some people/faces.

If there are still blades left I'm willing to try whatever is left. No preference. I'm new to de shaving, less then 1 week. I'm using a dollar store assured brand razor until I can get somethi g better with Astra superior platinum blades.

If there are still blades left I'm willing to try whatever is left. No preference. I'm new to de shaving, less then 1 week. I'm using a dollar store assured brand razor until I can get somethi g better with Astra superior platinum blades.
Lol if you read the beginning of the thread where I post pictures (I think I did at least lol)
There's plenty of blades left
Please answer anything from the first post you haven't then pm me with your list from most to least you are interested in and your address. :)
Please read through as the first posts show most, but not all, blades I have. This will help you choose what you'd like to try.
Also reading through the thread will give you some ideas if you aren't sure. But blades are YMMV. But it'll give you updates of blades I've added and ideas of what people would like.
Please lost all asked in first post and then follow rest of directions :)

I saw the 11 pages and worried that there would be none left without reading through all of the pages. I have taken up DE shaving for just about 1 week. My goal is to fix the irritation from my previous disposable cartridge and cut down on waste. I currently have Astra superior platinum and I have been using an Assured (dollar store) de razor. I would like to try the Gillette line in order you had them listed. PM sent with the address info.
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Gillette 7oclock super platinum (black)
Gillette 7oclock super stainless (green)
Gillette 7oclock sharpedge (yellow)

I saw the 11 pages and worried that there would be none left without reading through all of the pages. I have taken up DE shaving for just about 1 week. My goal is to fix the irritation from my previous disposable cartridge and cut down on waste. I currently have Astra superior platinum and I have been using an Assured (dollar store) de razor. I would like to try the Gillette line in order you had them listed. PM sent with the address info.
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Gillette 7oclock super platinum (black)
Gillette 7oclock super stainless (green)
Gillette 7oclock sharpedge (yellow)
Have not received the PM yet
Also lost any blades, including ones you listed above, in order you'd prefer and I'll put as many as I can fit down your list and stop when incant fit more. There's a full list as well as additions down a couple posts.
Edit:
Just got . Sens a reply on that PM with new list.
Thanks

Hello, I've been wet-shaving for about 2 months now, and I got into it because my skin got irritated and the cartridges costed a lot when I used my fusion proglide shield. I've used a Parker 98R with the premium platinum blades as well as a Gillette Tech.
I want to try out:
-Feather,
-Astra SP,
-Gillette 7'oclock Sharpedge,
-Personna Medprep
-Voskhod

Hello, I've been wet-shaving for about 2 months now, and I got into it because my skin got irritated and the cartridges costed a lot when I used my fusion proglide shield. I've used a Parker 98R with the premium platinum blades as well as a Gillette Tech.
I want to try out:
-Feather,
-Astra SP,
-Gillette 7'oclock Sharpedge,
-Personna Medprep
-Voskhod
You have been added to the list!!!
Running behind on sending out. My apologies to berwick also. Long work days.
Will try and get both these set up and out in order received

Hello, just joined the forum and this is my first post! Started wet-shaving about three weeks ago because my neck would always get irritated using the Mach3 cartridges. I bought a Merkur 34c per a few articles and the forum here. I also purchased a sample blade pack off of Amazon and am slowly working through them (Wilkinson Sword, Astra Platinum, Dorco St301, Feather - New Hi Stainless, Shark Super Stainless, Supermax - Super Stainless, Derby Extra) I really have no idea what I even want to try at this point but trust that you would send me something worth trying! Thank you for your generosity.

Pilot g2 is one of the best and my favorite non fountain pens the uniball rollerball are pretty good too. I just wish I could find the g2 in .05 instead of .07, I like fine nibs better for my writing size. But the g2 is the pens o always have in my pocket

Thanks
mreeveshp
Sorry if this is old, but I'm playing catch-up with this thread. Pilot does in fact have .05 G2's. I always have a black/red/blue in my backpack for backup to my Parker Sonnet. The .07's seem like a paintbrush to me and the .05 makes my scratching semi-legible.

I'll be going through the blade list tonight to check off what I have in my samplers and write up a post to see if I qualify. Thanks!

Both of mine refuse to shave because they are trying to grow full beards (they are only 19 and 20, both with very fine hair). It will take YEARS before they have anything resembling a beard.
Back when I was a freshman in college in '83, I tried to grow a beard. I was going to go to a frat party one weekend and one of the frat guys suggested I get some mascara to use on the scraggly beard I was sporting. Never again did I actively try to grow a beard. Now I try to shave more frequently because when it does grow out, it's gray...

Hi, I would like to throw my hat officially into the ring if you would be so kind as to have me! I'm fairly new to wet shaving. I officially have three DE shaves under my chin with my Timeless Ti .68 SB/SC. Maybe one day I'll get the Rockwell 6S that I ordered a couple weeks ago... I've been shaving roughly 40 years with electrics and a few years ago tried the cartridge game off and on, mostly off. Then a couple years ago tried a straight edge but soon found it wasn't for me and it's been on the shelf ever since and I was back to electrics. Last December double-edged shaving piqued my interest because I was looking to try to get a closer shave without being tethered to an AC outlet or the $70 replacement blades every year. Along with the Timeless, I've picked up a couple different sampler packs with the following:
  • Astra Platinum Green
  • Feather Platinum Stainless
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Kai Stainless
  • Personna Platinum (red)
  • Wilkinson Sword
  • Clifton Durablade
  • Derby Extra
  • Lord Asco
  • Lord Big Ben
  • Lord Cool
  • Lord Platinum
  • Rapira Ladas
  • Rapira Platinum Lux
  • Rapira Swedish Supersteel
  • Shark Platinum
  • Shark Super Chrome
  • Shark Super Stainless
  • Sotraco Silver Star
  • Treet Dura Sharp
  • Treet New Steel
  • Vidyut Super-Max Platinum
  • Voskhod
  • Dorco Prime Platinum
  • Feather Hi Stainless
  • Gillette Perma-Sharp
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Voskhod Teflon
I've only used the Dorco so far.

I'd love to try your:
Personna blue Israeli Crystal;​
Gillette nacet stainless;​
any of the Gillette 7 o'clocks;​
and the Astra SS (blue).​

I know I already have quite a few to go through and if you would rather not add to what will already be a long trial run, I perfectly understand.

Thank you for your generosity!
-Scott

Hello, just joined the forum and this is my first post! Started wet-shaving about three weeks ago because my neck would always get irritated using the Mach3 cartridges. I bought a Merkur 34c per a few articles and the forum here. I also purchased a sample blade pack off of Amazon and am slowly working through them (Wilkinson Sword, Astra Platinum, Dorco St301, Feather - New Hi Stainless, Shark Super Stainless, Supermax - Super Stainless, Derby Extra) I really have no idea what I even want to try at this point but trust that you would send me something worth trying! Thank you for your generosity.
Please send address as per instructions in PM along with a list of blades you'd prefer in order of most wanted to less wanted and I'll fit what I can.

Hi, I would like to throw my hat officially into the ring if you would be so kind as to have me! I'm fairly new to wet shaving. I officially have three DE shaves under my chin with my Timeless Ti .68 SB/SC. Maybe one day I'll get the Rockwell 6S that I ordered a couple weeks ago... I've been shaving roughly 40 years with electrics and a few years ago tried the cartridge game off and on, mostly off. Then a couple years ago tried a straight edge but soon found it wasn't for me and it's been on the shelf ever since and I was back to electrics. Last December double-edged shaving piqued my interest because I was looking to try to get a closer shave without being tethered to an AC outlet or the $70 replacement blades every year. Along with the Timeless, I've picked up a couple different sampler packs with the following:
  • Astra Platinum Green
  • Feather Platinum Stainless
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Kai Stainless
  • Personna Platinum (red)
  • Wilkinson Sword
  • Clifton Durablade
  • Derby Extra
  • Lord Asco
  • Lord Big Ben
  • Lord Cool
  • Lord Platinum
  • Rapira Ladas
  • Rapira Platinum Lux
  • Rapira Swedish Supersteel
  • Shark Platinum
  • Shark Super Chrome
  • Shark Super Stainless
  • Sotraco Silver Star
  • Treet Dura Sharp
  • Treet New Steel
  • Vidyut Super-Max Platinum
  • Voskhod
  • Dorco Prime Platinum
  • Feather Hi Stainless
  • Gillette Perma-Sharp
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Voskhod Teflon
I've only used the Dorco so far.

I'd love to try your:
Personna blue Israeli Crystal;​
Gillette nacet stainless;​
any of the Gillette 7 o'clocks;​
and the Astra SS (blue).​

I know I already have quite a few to go through and if you would rather not add to what will already be a long trial run, I perfectly understand.

Thank you for your generosity!
-Scott
Please send address as per instructions in PM along with a list of blades you'd prefer in order of most wanted to less wanted and I'll fit what I can.

So I started wet shaving this year, not a new year resolution but I wanted to change a thing or two, I have used the King C Gillette razor as well as the Merkur 34 C today for the first time. Looking at what I have on hand and what I could use with the 34 C sounds like sharper blade could be a good idea.

I have not tried much blade, The one that came with the razor, astra green and Treet platinum.

I believe from your list and with what I have already on hand I could some of the below to try and find what would work for me with the 34 C :

Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Voskhod
Polsilver super iridium
Treet black beauty (carbon steel)

or maybe a persona or 7 O’Clock

I understand you wanted a list of preference and would send whatever you could , so no worry and I am fine with nothing as well.

So I started wet shaving this year, not a new year resolution but I wanted to change a thing or two, I have used the King C Gillette razor as well as the Merkur 34 C today for the first time. Looking at what I have on hand and what I could use with the 34 C sounds like sharper blade could be a good idea.

I have not tried much blade, The one that came with the razor, astra green and Treet platinum.

I believe from your list and with what I have already on hand I could some of the below to try and find what would work for me with the 34 C :

Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Voskhod
Polsilver super iridium
Treet black beauty (carbon steel)

or maybe a persona or 7 O’Clock

I understand you wanted a list of preference and would send whatever you could , so no worry and I am fine with nothing as well.
Ok please pm me with your CONUS address.

Ok gents, after la malice I'm going to put a pause on new entrants until I can catch up on the ones I already have backed up.

Update # (I lost track)

I knocked out both Gillette Platinums. I used them in two different razors, a Fatip OC and a Timeless .68 SB. In both razors the blades gave me "ok" shaves. No irritation which is of course always welcome, but no matter how hard I focused on technique I could never get a very close shave with this blade.

For that reason, it's not at the top of my list. If I was stuck with 100 of them I would definitely use them, as any blade that doesn't give me irritation on my neck is good blade.

Remaining to try:
7'Oclock Sharpedge
Perma-sharp
Polsilver
Derby Premium
Lord Platinum
Super-Max Titanium

Polsilver

I was trying to figure out why I waited so long to try these, and I think it's just because they are so expensive/hard to find. I was afraid I'd love them and not be able to get my hands on any for a reasonable price.

After using it, I do like them a lot, but will be okay without them. They are a very smooth blade, and worked well in my Timeless .68 and also a Fatip Piccolo. I got reasonably close shaves and little irritation. The blade lasted 6 shaves, at which point it started to give me enough neck irritation to warrant throwing it in the bank.

I've been scoring blades based on closeness and irritation, and although the scores don't match perfectly, Polsilver and Wizamet wound up next to each other on my list of 40 blades. Take that as you will, but I'm still going with "they're different blades". Wizamet did score slightly higher in both closeness and comfort, but my scoring system is highly variable.

Top Bottom