What's new

NEWBIE BLADE PIF!!!!

I've been wet shaving a few weeks and just upgraded from a VDH razor to a merkur 34c, I've been able to try the VDH SS and ice tempered and merkur stainless, I have a few other varieties and 100 pack of astra ss and sp that I just got for my birthday with the merkur, but I've been wanting to try the persona, derby, permasharp, treet and lord and probably a few more on the list because of reviews I've seen to see how they are. The only soaps I've tried is VDH and arko and I have a puck of Williams waiting to try out.

I just wanted to say I think its amazing that there are people like you that are willing to help people out, it gives me hope for our society and humanity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've been wet shaving a few weeks and just upgraded from a VDH razor to a merkur 34c, I've been able to try the VDH SS and ice tempered and merkur stainless, I have a few other varieties and 100 pack of astra ss and sp that I just got for my birthday with the merkur, but I've been wanting to try the persona, derby, permasharp, treet and lord and probably a few more on the list because of reviews I've seen to see how they are. The only soaps I've tried is VDH and arko and I have a puck of Williams waiting to try out.

I just wanted to say I think its amazing that there are people like you that are willing to help people out, it gives me hope for our society and humanity.

I feel the same about your last statement too dude

Stefan, can I restock some blades for you? I know you have probably 10,000 blades, but I’d like to help if you have a need. I think it’s great what you are doing.
I don't really have a need for it right now. I've only had 4-5 people enter and 2 more yesterday so I haven't really lost many blades out of what I have.
Unless you have blades that I don't have listed in initial post. But for the shipping cost of full tucks, I'd lean to not wanting that much spent for a few blades.

Ok you're in!!!
Just send me a private massage with your address and your list of blades you'd like to try from most to least with the title "newbie blade PIF" or something like that

I don't really have a need for it right now. I've only had 4-5 people enter and 2 more yesterday so I haven't really lost many blades out of what I have.
Unless you have blades that I don't have listed in initial post. But for the shipping cost of full tucks, I'd lean to not wanting that much spent for a few blades.

I think it’s only a matter of time before you get many more responses.

I know you had talked about adding BIC blades to your stash. Did you ever do that?

I haven't forgotten about you. Hopefully can get it together this weekend for you. Works gotten busy with 12 hour days.:)

No problem at all. I have plenty of blades to shave with. Happy to hear your staying busy in times like these. Thanks again for your generosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill be doing my own little pif somtime within the next month or so ..got a shipment of stuff and i think its going to be to much so ill probably spread it around due to not wanting it to be wasted..what it is i cant tell butttt i can say i think ppl will be pleased

Posting a new update, having tried the Crystal (Israeli Blue) and the Voskhod blades.

The Israeli Blue shave was very, very good. I got a very smooth shave that was almost completely irritation-free. What I did feel I hesitate to even call "irritation", actually, because it was more like a warmness on my face that persisted for a while after the shave. This warmness wasn't uncomfortable, per se, it was just... Noticeable. It was the Maiden Voyage for this blade so I'm thinking future shaves could prove to be even better. If that does turn out to be the case the Israeli Blue will be in close competition with the Nacet. I'll be going back to the Israeli Blue later this week for further comparison.

The Voskhod, on the other made for some rough shaving, and left me with some minor irritation after. It was very minor, but I was definitely back in the true "irritation zone" with this blade, as opposed to the slight warmness left behind by the Israeli Blue or the absolutely irritation-free shave of the Nacet. To its credit the Voskhod left my face really, really smooth. This blade has simply been out classed by some others so I don't see it making my short-list.

One other blade I've been meaning to revisit is the Ladas Super Stainless, a tuck of which I got for free with my previous razor. I've been getting curious to see how they'll perform in my Merkur.

Shave #2 on the Israeli Blue was pure, unadulterated, Awesome Sauce. Yes I nicked myself once but I was going for Bonus Points in a patently impossible-to-shave area of my oh so supremely chiseled chin and lost focus in the heat of the moment. Critical Failure!!

Clearly it's come down to this: the Israeli Blue vs. the Gillette Nacet; mano a mano. There can be but one blade to Rule Them All.

The anticipation is positively palpable!

Trying a new blade and a new (unscented) soap tomorrow?
AH HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! I'm outta control! Control... I'm all out of it!
Stirling Sheep.jpg

Derby.jpg

.....(Images Not to Scale)

Participation Report #3

I finished up the pre-2016 Derby Extras. The first shave with them was pretty good. I tried it in both of my favorite razors (Timeless .68 and R89), and both gave me good shaves. The second shave of each blade, though... I wasn't able to get a close shave out of them. They were tuggy and I simply didn't enjoy the second shave.

So, the fact that they only last for one shave, combined with the fact that they are no longer manufactured (in that form), leaves me with only one option! I won't be using those again!

Right now I'm taking a short sabbatical from the blade rotation and using something that I love, in order to reset my expectations. Next up will be modern Derby Extra.

Update on the Stirling Sheep and the Derby Premium blade today. Please fasten your seat-belts and place your tray-tables in the fully upright and locked position.

The Good: Sheep shave soap; like it a lot. I'm moving away from scented shaving products, with the exception of my aftershave, in general, so Sheep fit the bill for me. Based on this first use it appears Sheep likes more water than what I'm used to so it took a little longer working time in the bowl but... The resulting lather was exceptional. I don't know if it's the mutton tallow, or what, but wow the lather I got was seriously thick and cush'. Like velvet it was!

The Bad: Derby Premium. On the upside, I did get a very close, clean shave out of this blade but it must have taken six passes to do areas that are usually done in two. I may be exaggerating when I say "six passes", but if I am it's not by a lot. This blade just seemed to take foreeeeever to get the job done. I didn't really feel like the shave was as good as it could be but I finally stopped anyway, fearing the worst. The alum block sting, while not brutal, was a tad strong after this shave and I'm NOT taking any blame for bad technique on this shave. No, not this time. I usually reserve using witch hazel for my evening face washing but not this morning. Thayer's took out some of the post-shave heat, but Proraso (white) brought the irritation right back and that's NEVER happened before. Maybe this blade would smooth out with further use but I'll never know; I'm binning these bad boys with Extreme Prejudice.

The Ugly: My blotchy, red, generally irritated pretty-boy face. What a world, what a world! Who would have thought some little blade like this could destroy my beautiful wickedness? Thanks a lot, DERBY... Now I'm in a less-than-good mood!. *shakes fist*

Interesting that you had such a horrible experience with the Derby Premiums, Wogus. They're my favorite that I have tried so far. When people in this hobby say YMMV, they really aren't kidding!

On to my own update:
I had three very nice shaves with a new Lab Blue in my Fatboy, confirming my suspicion that the change in razors and subsequent learning curve on blade angle was the source of my previus disappointment with the blade. They were smooth and efficient, and worked very well for me. On the third shave, I tried something I had read about in a reddit thread. Rather than take three passes with my Fatboy set to 9, I did 9WTG, 7XTG, and 5ATG. This resulted in a much more comfortable shave, with no noticeable loss of closeness. Even throughout the day, if my stubble came back any sooner, it couldn't possibly have been more than an hour difference.
Today was my first shave with an Astra SP. I can see why they're so well regarded. Incredibly smooth and close shave. Minimal touchups to get me BBS. Looking forward to the next two shaves with it.
Once I've used every blade in the sampler once, I think I'm going to make a bracket and do a tournament to see which blade I will buy in bulk. At this point, it's looking like Astras will be a 1 seed, along with the bane of Wogus' existence, the Derby Premiums. However, it's a long season and there are a lot of blades left, so the final standings are anyone's guess.

Interesting that you had such a horrible experience with the Derby Premiums, Wogus. They're my favorite that I have tried so far. When people in this hobby say YMMV, they really aren't kidding!
The Derby Premiums get raaave reviews on Amazon as well, so I was pretty surprised my experience with them was as bad as it was. Giving credit where credit is due, the shave was quite good with the Derby, it just took way too long to get there and left my face feeling raw. Very smooth, but also very raw. It really is surprising just how much of difference the blade can make.

This morning I went back to a Lab Blue and daaaaaaaaamn! DATS what I'm TALKIN' about!

The Derby Premiums get raaave reviews on Amazon as well, so I was pretty surprised my experience with them was as bad as it was. Giving credit where credit is due, the shave was quite good with the Derby, it just took way too long to get there and left my face feeling raw. Very smooth, but also very raw. It really is surprising just how much of difference the blade can make.

This morning I went back to a Lab Blue and daaaaaaaaamn! DATS what I'm TALKIN' about!
My experience with Derby blades was not good. I had one shave and then binned the blade. There are still four left in the tuck. That should tell you how I feel about them.

Top Bottom