What's new

NEWBIE BLADE PIF!!!!

Hello newbies!!!
Have you been interested in trying some different blades?
I have returned to Badger and Blade after 5 years away and I would like to help out some newbies try some blades!!!
I've never done this before and hope I'm not breaking any rules here.
Here's how this works. It's totally free to you if you live in the ConUS. Apologies to others but the way I'm sending them it's the most fiscally responsible way.

I will be taping blades to paper/card stock and sending through the mail.
I don't know how many I can fit. In one.
I'd like to give at least 2 blades of each chosen I'm case one is a dud.

I don't know how many I can do this for so we will see.

All you need to do is post how new you are to DE wetshaving (and I'll check join date), what your reasons/goals were for starting in the hobby, listing what blades you've tried and also what razor(s) you're using. Also which blades you'd like to try out of the ones listed (again I don't know how many will fit) so pick your wishlist and I'll see how many we can do. :)

Here is the list of blades I have:

Personna Lab blue USA
Personna Med prep USA
Personna blue Israeli Crystal
Personna red Israeili
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Gillette 7oclock super platinum (black)
Gillette 7oclock super stainless (green)
Gillette 7oclock sharpedge (yellow)
Derby Extra pre-2016
Derby extra post-2016
Derby premium
Derby USTA (master)
Supermax platinum
Supermax super platinum
Supermax titanium
Shark super chrome
Shark super stainless
Shark platinum
Lord platinum class
Treet platinum
Treet black beauty (carbon steel)
Perma sharp super (gold pack)
Voskhod
Polsilver super iridium
Feather
Astra SP (green)
Astra SS (blue)

And I think that's it for bulk blades.
Look forward to hearing responses!!!

Hello! I've been wetshaving about three and a half weeks, now. Maybe a month. I originally just wanted to save money on blades and had run out of my dorco pace 7 cartridges, so I picked up a "Shaving Revolution" butterfly DE razor. I believe this is Amazon's in house brand or they have some kind of promotional deal with them. Then I ended up shaving with it and going down the rabbit hole here and on Reddit and I've been shaving daily for the first time in my life. I love getting a BBS shave and catch myself stroking my face when I'm watching television with my wife after the kids have gone to bed. So far, the only blades I have tried are the Shaving Revolution blades that came with the razor.
I'd really love to try the Shark Platinums, the Feathers, and whatever your favorite blade is. Thank you for offering such a generous PIF!

Hello! I've been wetshaving about three and a half weeks, now. Maybe a month. I originally just wanted to save money on blades and had run out of my dorco pace 7 cartridges, so I picked up a "Shaving Revolution" butterfly DE razor. I believe this is Amazon's in house brand or they have some kind of promotional deal with them. Then I ended up shaving with it and going down the rabbit hole here and on Reddit and I've been shaving daily for the first time in my life. I love getting a BBS shave and catch myself stroking my face when I'm watching television with my wife after the kids have gone to bed. So far, the only blades I have tried are the Shaving Revolution blades that came with the razor.
I'd really love to try the Shark Platinums, the Feathers, and whatever your favorite blade is. Thank you for offering such a generous PIF!
Yay you're the first to respond!!!
Ok cool the shark platinums are en route to me now. I'm not familiar with your razor, so I don't know the aggressiveness of it.
Please pm me with your ConUS address.
Definitely will send more blades than what you chose. Again, probably at least 2 of each blade type in case one is a dud. And let me know if you have any other choices from the list!!
My favorite blades are different for each razor, but all around good in any razor, for me, are Gillette silver blue. But everyone is different

Last edited:
For those who do better seeing the blades these are what I have plus all the Derby's, gillette yellow and green and shark platinum which I have more en route to me now.
IMG_20200920_070426.jpg
IMG_20200920_070435.jpg

I
Nice. I'm not in CONUS so I'm out. Good for you though. :D:D
I Apologize. Whole idea is it only costs me a stamp and cost of blades to send them out. Outside the country would defeat the purpose of sending asome blades :-(
But thanks for the comment and well wishes :)

I got my first DE 2 months ago (I just checked the package tracking, it arrived on July 13th, 2020). I've already tried a bunch of blades and it's been a lot of fun!

I'm definitely interested in trying even more blades. I already have 4 different razors (how the heck did that happen?), so over time I'd like to find a blade for each razor.

I was interested in learning how to wet shave for well over a year, and finally had a lot of time at home to pursue it. Originally I wanted to save money (my supply of Fusion carts was getting low and I didn't want to buy them again), but as you know.... that's not how it always works out!

I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable, Parker 22R (too aggressive for every day shaving, saving it for when I have a few days of growth), a Muhle R89, and a Timeless .68.

So far I've tried:
Astra SP
Astra SS
Bolzano (my favorite so far)
Feather
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Lab Blue
Rapira Platinum Lux
Shark Super Stainless
Treet Carbon Steel
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword Classic

So, I've been hitting it pretty hard as you can see. Most of those blades I've only tried once, and have to loop around and try again now that my technique and razor have changed.

I feel like I've already tried a lot of blades for a relative Noob, but I'm always game to try more!

That being said, I understand if maybe I don't make the cutoff for your PIF.

If I do make the cut, I haven't tried the following:
Personna Blue Israeli Crystal
Personna Red Israeli
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Nacet
Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black and Yellow)
Derby Extra (pre and post, that sounds fun)
Supermax (all)
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Platinum
Lord Platinum
Perma Sharp Super
Polsilver SI

Thanks!

I got my first DE 2 months ago (I just checked the package tracking, it arrived on July 13th, 2020). I've already tried a bunch of blades and it's been a lot of fun!

I'm definitely interested in trying even more blades. I already have 4 different razors (how the heck did that happen?), so over time I'd like to find a blade for each razor.

I was interested in learning how to wet shave for well over a year, and finally had a lot of time at home to pursue it. Originally I wanted to save money (my supply of Fusion carts was getting low and I didn't want to buy them again), but as you know.... that's not how it always works out!

I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable, Parker 22R (too aggressive for every day shaving, saving it for when I have a few days of growth), a Muhle R89, and a Timeless .68.

So far I've tried:
Astra SP
Astra SS
Bolzano (my favorite so far)
Feather
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Lab Blue
Rapira Platinum Lux
Shark Super Stainless
Treet Carbon Steel
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword Classic

So, I've been hitting it pretty hard as you can see. Most of those blades I've only tried once, and have to loop around and try again now that my technique and razor have changed.

I feel like I've already tried a lot of blades for a relative Noob, but I'm always game to try more!

That being said, I understand if maybe I don't make the cutoff for your PIF.

If I do make the cut, I haven't tried the following:
Personna Blue Israeli Crystal
Personna Red Israeli
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Nacet
Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black and Yellow)
Derby Extra (pre and post, that sounds fun)
Supermax (all)
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Platinum
Lord Platinum
Perma Sharp Super
Polsilver SI

Thanks!
Ok cool!!!
I'm setting up tomorrow morning to see what I can fit into each envelope.
Yes you're still new enough
But you hit the ground running like I did haha.
If you haven't already PM me your address and I'll get it set up hopefully tomorrow morning on what I can fit. Maybe add the derby premium too since you're wanting the pre and post extras. We will see.
Put "newbie blade PIF" as the subject in the message.
Thanks for entering!!!

Ok send me a message with "newbie blade PIF" or something like that as the subject with your address and the list again of what you'd like if I can fit them all.
Maybe list them as most to least wanted and Incan go from there :)

Eben Stone

Staff member
This is a novel idea. I've been DE shaving for approx 2-3 weeks.

My initial goal was to see if I could get a closer and more comfortable shave than a Mach3. I think I've accomplished that in the first week. So now my goal is to improve my technique to achieve a BBS.

I've tried the following blades:

Wilkinson
Derby extra
Vidyut supermax
Shark

I use these razors:

Boker butterfly DE
Muhle R41

The blades I'm most interested in are:

Polsilver Super Iridium
Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette 7 o'clock black
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Gillette Nacet
Persona Med Prep
Persona Lab Blue
Perma Sharp Super
Gillette Silver Blue
Derby Premium

This is a novel idea. I've been DE shaving for approx 2-3 weeks.

My initial goal was to see if I could get a closer and more comfortable shave than a Mach3. I think I've accomplished that in the first week. So now my goal is to improve my technique to achieve a BBS.

I've tried the following blades:

Wilkinson
Derby extra
Vidyut supermax
Shark

I use these razors:

Boker butterfly DE
Muhle R41

The blades I'm most interested in are:

Polsilver Super Iridium
Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette 7 o'clock black
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Gillette Nacet
Persona Med Prep
Persona Lab Blue
Perma Sharp Super
Gillette Silver Blue
Derby Premium

Ok. Send me a message with your address. Also list the blades you'd like in most wanted down in case I can't fit them all.
Plan is 2 of each in case one is a dud.
I'll try and have them in the mail ASAP!!

...I will be taping blades to paper/card stock and sending through the mail.
I don't know how many I can fit. In one.
I'd like to give at least 2 blades of each chosen I'm case one is a dud...

Good idea for a PIF (not in). You can send at least 20 blades in their paper wrappers in a first class envelope with one stamp. You cannot send the original cardboard boxes, the post office will reject it.Your idea about taping the blades to a note card will work, but bear in mind the envelope must not exceed a thickness threshold of 0.25 inches so it will go through the post office machinery.

What I've done is split a note card in half, and made a holder by folding and taping the edges of the card half. Each holder can contain 10 blades. Tape both blade holders to another note card.

Good idea for a PIF (not in). You can send at least 20 blades in their paper wrappers in a first class envelope with one stamp. You cannot send the original cardboard boxes, the post office will reject it.Your idea about taping the blades to a note card will work, but bear in mind the envelope must not exceed a thickness threshold of 0.25 inches so it will go through the post office machinery.

What I've done is split a note card in half, and made a holder by folding and taping the edges of the card half. Each holder can contain 10 blades. Tape both blade holders to another note card.
Ok I think I understand. I'll fiddle with it today.
I was just going to tape pairs of blades with room to write names (old v new derby) and stuff maybe even do 2 sheets if it can fit. Do a trip fold first to know where the fold lines are.
Again never done this but seems like a great way to send them :)
Thanks for the tip. I'll see about trying that :)

All envelopes went into the mail this evening for the three gents so far.
Hope they all make is safe and sound!!

Top Bottom