What's new

NEWBIE BLADE PIF!!!!

Participation Report

The day I got my envelope of goodies I had just started a new Personna Lab Blue. That blade lasted almost a full week, so I didn't get to try anything new until 4 days ago.

Current status: The first Personna Platinum (red) lasted 4 shaves, but I should have stopped at 3. They feel dull, and provide ZERO irritation. Believe it or not, I sometimes prefer blades like that, Bolzano being another example for me (although they feel slightly sharper). Now I'm on the second blade of the same type. The first blade I used in a Muhle R89, and this time I'm using a Timeless .68. The timeless feels so much nicer, but the end result is similar.

Unfortunately, they simply don't cut very close for me, so their score takes a hit! I do value comfort over closeness, but knowing I have at least 2 other blades that provide both for me, now I know I can safely pass on these! Good to know!

After this blade is toast, next in line is probably Treet Platinum. I've used Treet Classic (carbon steel) with some success in the past, so I'm looking forward to trying more Treets! Especially ones that don't rust!
This is definitely a case of YMMV. To me reds are more rough than most (read sharp). Dull to me is tuggy but the red IPs don't last as long as others but when they do they cut closer in the same or less passes. But again, it's all YMMV. I also enjoy hearing what others think to have another point of view next time I try a blade. Part of this PIF is for me to hear opinions too.
Feel free to keep the updates coming!!
It also helps me with others to help decide what to send them when they like XXX blade or YYY.

Yes. They're what I used the last 5 years or whatever away from the forum.
Tried using a GSB this morning and am really happy with the result. While I don't time my shaves it seems like got through a three-pass shave faster and easier (with the GSB) than I did with the Nacet, with equally good results.

The GSB just might be the new blade to beat.

Tried using a GSB this morning and am really happy with the result. While I don't time my shaves it seems like got through a three-pass shave faster and easier (with the GSB) than I did with the Nacet, with equally good results.

The GSB just might be the new blade to beat.
It's all about your face and the razor.
Like I said they are great all around for my face in pretty much every razor I've tried.
But some blades do and can pair better with certain razors.
It's all about the fun of the hunt!!! Lol.
But I'm glad you're finding some you like :)

Participation Report

The day I got my envelope of goodies I had just started a new Personna Lab Blue. That blade lasted almost a full week, so I didn't get to try anything new until 4 days ago.

Current status: The first Personna Platinum (red) lasted 4 shaves, but I should have stopped at 3. They feel dull, and provide ZERO irritation. Believe it or not, I sometimes prefer blades like that, Bolzano being another example for me (although they feel slightly sharper). Now I'm on the second blade of the same type. The first blade I used in a Muhle R89, and this time I'm using a Timeless .68. The timeless feels so much nicer, but the end result is similar.

Unfortunately, they simply don't cut very close for me, so their score takes a hit! I do value comfort over closeness, but knowing I have at least 2 other blades that provide both for me, now I know I can safely pass on these! Good to know!

After this blade is toast, next in line is probably Treet Platinum. I've used Treet Classic (carbon steel) with some success in the past, so I'm looking forward to trying more Treets! Especially ones that don't rust!

I like treet platinum, astra sp and dorco prime. That’s a good zone for my mild beard and sensitive neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excited that this is still open! Been DE shaving since august of this year. Join date was august or September. I have always been fascinated by blades, knives, axes...anything sharp really. Shaving with a blade feels more personal than electric ever did. My dad was electric so back in the early 90's I got a Braun for my 1st razor. I learned how to use it very well and can get a close shave. Always had problems with blades on my neck. Not much internet to help for me back then. Wanted to try something new during covid. I have had a beard for the last 4 years and decided to shave it off and learn how to shave again with help from you guys. I bought a merkur 34 and a sample pack from amazon. I also just bought a Gillette slim from ebay but haven't used it yet. So far I like Voskhod, Dorco prime, ST301, Derby premium(a little tuggy on my stash but good neck blade), astra sp, treet platinum. Having issues with the sharper (and duller) stuff on my neck. Blades I didn't like: Merkur, shark, derby extra. I will try them again later.

Here are some blades I would like to try:

* read a lot about these and am very interested

Personna lab blue, red Israeli*
polsilver super iridium*
any 7 o'clocks
gillette nancet
derby usta
any supermax
lord plat
perma sharp super
astra ss

Thanks a lot! so much fun trying new stuff

Excited that this is still open! Been DE shaving since august of this year. Join date was august or September. I have always been fascinated by blades, knives, axes...anything sharp really. Shaving with a blade feels more personal than electric ever did. My dad was electric so back in the early 90's I got a Braun for my 1st razor. I learned how to use it very well and can get a close shave. Always had problems with blades on my neck. Not much internet to help for me back then. Wanted to try something new during covid. I have had a beard for the last 4 years and decided to shave it off and learn how to shave again with help from you guys. I bought a merkur 34 and a sample pack from amazon. I also just bought a Gillette slim from ebay but haven't used it yet. So far I like Voskhod, Dorco prime, ST301, Derby premium(a little tuggy on my stash but good neck blade), astra sp, treet platinum. Having issues with the sharper (and duller) stuff on my neck. Blades I didn't like: Merkur, shark, derby extra. I will try them again later.

polsilver super iridium*
any 7 o'clocks
gillette nancet
derby usta
any supermax
lord plat
perma sharp super
astra ss

Ok I'll try and get this together as soon as I have enough time and send it out.
Please message me your conUS address

Participation Report #2

I finished up the Treet Platinum and I like them a lot! They are on my good list, but they only lasted 3 shaves before they started to give me irritation. For the price, they still score high despite offering few shaves per blade.

Currently I'm on my second
Shark Super Chrome. This one is interesting! The first blade I used in my Timeless .68. It was tuggy, did not shave close, and left me with irritation. I threw it out after the second shave. Just now, I put the second Super Chrome blade into my Muhle R89 and shaved. Low and behold, it was much sharper, shaved me close, and left no irritation!

This is my first time to experiment back to back with different razors and find this big of a difference. There's a chance that the first blade was a dud, so maybe I'll try the current blade in the Timeless tomorrow. We'll see.

One other thing to note, after sitting in my razor for 3ish days, the Shark rusted. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the stains out of the Timeless, but this will be another blade that I'll have to throw away after 2 shaves, because I don't like dealing with rust.

To be continued....

Quick question for @stoof2010 ...

Are the blades linked below:

Personna DE Double Edge Razor Blades . (Link goes to Amazon)

The same as what you sent in my PIF labeled, "Personna Lab Blues"? I'm unsure which Personna blade is the "Lab Blue" and the ones in my PIF are currently on my Short List. Should I decide to buy some in bulk I want to be sure I'm getting the same blade as what you sent.

Also, I'll be trying the Personna Crystal/Israeli Blue for the first time tomorrow but as of right now the Gillette Nacet and the Personna Lab Blues are the blades to beat.

Thanks again!!

Not sure if I qualify for your PIF but I'll give it a shot. I got into DE shaving about five years ago and have been off an on since. I got my first and only DE on a trade when I cast some custom handle blanks for a guy in exchange for a finished DE razor. The head is a Chinese knock off of something more modern I think but don't know what. I have since made a few of the razors myself. you can kind of see the the razor head in my profile pic.

I joined here a couple of weeks ago looking for answers and guidance to a better shave and from the reading I have done so far I am positive I have come to the right place.

When I first got the razor, there was more of a nostalgic draw to it than anything. I bought a assorted pack of five blades and gave them a go. After experiencing some irritation from the first two I went back to my Mach 3 for awhile to give my skin a rest. After trying the other three blades I settled on the Asco Super Stainless. I get minimal irritation as long as I don't try to get more than 3 or 4 shaves out of a blade but the shave isn't quite as smooth as I would like so I have just started looking into different blades again.

If I remember correctly the blades in that assortment I bought so long ago were...

Gillette 7oclock (don't remember which one for sure)
Shark Super Stainless
Derby (don't remember which one for sure)
Lord (don't remember which one for sure)
Asco Super Stainless

The blades I think I would like to try of I qualify would be...

Personna Lab blue USA
Personna blue Israeli Crystal
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette nacet stainless
Treet platinum
Treet black beauty (carbon steel)
Voskhod
Astra SP (green)

If I do not qualify I fully understand and commend you for putting this out there for new people to try something new.

polsilver super iridium*
any 7 o'clocks
gillette nancet
derby usta
any supermax
lord plat
perma sharp super
astra ss

I haven't forgotten about you. Hopefully can get it together this weekend for you. Works gotten busy with 12 hour days.:)

Not sure if I qualify for your PIF but I'll give it a shot. I got into DE shaving about five years ago and have been off an on since. I got my first and only DE on a trade when I cast some custom handle blanks for a guy in exchange for a finished DE razor. The head is a Chinese knock off of something more modern I think but don't know what. I have since made a few of the razors myself. you can kind of see the the razor head in my profile pic.

I joined here a couple of weeks ago looking for answers and guidance to a better shave and from the reading I have done so far I am positive I have come to the right place.

When I first got the razor, there was more of a nostalgic draw to it than anything. I bought a assorted pack of five blades and gave them a go. After experiencing some irritation from the first two I went back to my Mach 3 for awhile to give my skin a rest. After trying the other three blades I settled on the Asco Super Stainless. I get minimal irritation as long as I don't try to get more than 3 or 4 shaves out of a blade but the shave isn't quite as smooth as I would like so I have just started looking into different blades again.

If I remember correctly the blades in that assortment I bought so long ago were...

Gillette 7oclock (don't remember which one for sure)
Shark Super Stainless
Derby (don't remember which one for sure)
Lord (don't remember which one for sure)
Asco Super Stainless

The blades I think I would like to try of I qualify would be...

Personna Lab blue USA
Personna blue Israeli Crystal
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette nacet stainless
Treet platinum
Treet black beauty (carbon steel)
Voskhod
Astra SP (green)

If I do not qualify I fully understand and commend you for putting this out there for new people to try something new.
Sure you qualify. The 5 years wasn't really spent learning since on and off and you just joined the "hobby" by joining here and looking for help.

Send me a message with your ConUS address and the list of blades on order of most to least interested in trying.

Hopefully I can get to yours this weekend with beardly's

Quick question for @stoof2010 ...

Are the blades linked below:

Personna DE Double Edge Razor Blades . (Link goes to Amazon)

The same as what you sent in my PIF labeled, "Personna Lab Blues"? I'm unsure which Personna blade is the "Lab Blue" and the ones in my PIF are currently on my Short List. Should I decide to buy some in bulk I want to be sure I'm getting the same blade as what you sent.

Also, I'll be trying the Personna Crystal/Israeli Blue for the first time tomorrow but as of right now the Gillette Nacet and the Personna Lab Blues are the blades to beat.
Thanks again!!
No those are not.
Those are the new german version of the "red IP (israeli)" that are supposed to be the same as the red IPs but I haven't checked that yet.
These are the personna lab blues in new packaging:
The seller I used was "eprimetime" and I got 120 pack (20 free). But the box you receive should look like the one in this listing.

I tried to link that seller but you'll have to go down to offers and pick eprimetime as seller. They're a little cheaper than the default seller but may take a little longer to get there. But you may get the same 120 pack I did for price of 100 from that seller
16028100987057137208606308109087.jpg

Last edited:
Participation Report #2

I finished up the Treet Platinum and I like them a lot! They are on my good list, but they only lasted 3 shaves before they started to give me irritation. For the price, they still score high despite offering few shaves per blade.

Currently I'm on my second
Shark Super Chrome. This one is interesting! The first blade I used in my Timeless .68. It was tuggy, did not shave close, and left me with irritation. I threw it out after the second shave. Just now, I put the second Super Chrome blade into my Muhle R89 and shaved. Low and behold, it was much sharper, shaved me close, and left no irritation!

This is my first time to experiment back to back with different razors and find this big of a difference. There's a chance that the first blade was a dud, so maybe I'll try the current blade in the Timeless tomorrow. We'll see.

One other thing to note, after sitting in my razor for 3ish days, the Shark rusted. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the stains out of the Timeless, but this will be another blade that I'll have to throw away after 2 shaves, because I don't like dealing with rust.

To be continued....
The blades will definitely be different with different razors. Each razors hold the blade at different angles.
To stop the rust issue, try dipping the head in alcohol after you shaving. But yes some blades do that. With my rex ambassador I do the alcohol dip and remove the blade just in case. It's happened with a few blades already.

No those are not.
Those are the new german version of the "red IP (israeli)" that are supposed to be the same as the red IPs but I haven't checked that yet.
These are the personna lab blues in new packaging:
The seller I used was "eprimetime" and I got 120 pack (20 free). But the box you receive should look like the one in this listing.

I tried to link that seller but you'll have to go down to offers and pick eprimetime as seller. They're a little cheaper than the default seller but may take a little longer to get there. But you may get the same 120 pack I did for price of 100 from that seller.
Thank you for the information. Trying to decipher the particulars of Personna blades is just about irritating. I'm about to go with a bulk purchase of Gillette Nacets simply because they come with ZCF (Zero Confusion Factor).

Been a busy few weeks so I haven't had a chance to update. After three great shaves each in my Shaving Revolution with the Shark Platinums and Derby Premiums, I acquired a F1 Gilette Fatboy and threw another variable into the mix. Well, more like nine more variables, I guess. Started my new journey off with a Personna Lab Blue. Didn't really care for it. Was pretty smooth, but seemed very inefficient. The first shave I started with the Fatboy at 5, then moved it up to 7, and eventually 9 by the end of it. Still had a hard time getting the closeness I got with the Derbys and Sharks in the Shaving Revolution. The second time I used it on 9 right out of the gate and the results were about the same. I used it twice in the Fatboy and then threw it in the Shaving Revolution and switched to a Treet Platinum in the Fatboy. I still wanted to use my new toy, but the Lab Blues have a pretty good reputation around here so I wanted to see how it handled in another razor.

The first shave with the Treet was about the same as the Lab Blue. I wasn't impressed. Smooth, but inefficient. The second shave with the Treet was much better. BBS in three passes with very little touch up. At this point, I'm using the Fatboy on 9 full time. I think it may have just taken me three shaves to adjust my angle to the Fatboy.

For my next shave, I used the Lab Blue in the Shaving Revolution. it was only a 24 hour stubble, but got me BBS with little touch up. I would still say I favor the Shark and the Derby, but as this was the third shave on this blade, it deserves another shot. I was planning on running through every brand in the PIF sampler before using one twice, but I think I'll try a new Lab Blue in the Fatboy again next.

This morning was my third shave with the Treet Platinum in the Fatboy. It was the best of the three shaves, as well. I know people say certain blades work better for them after a shave or two, so maybe that's part of it. Thinking about pushing it farther than my standard "three shaves then toss" approach.

Thanks again, Stefan. Trying these different blades has been a really great experience.

Been a busy few weeks so I haven't had a chance to update. After three great shaves each in my Shaving Revolution with the Shark Platinums and Derby Premiums, I acquired a F1 Gilette Fatboy and threw another variable into the mix. Well, more like nine more variables, I guess. Started my new journey off with a Personna Lab Blue. Didn't really care for it. Was pretty smooth, but seemed very inefficient. The first shave I started with the Fatboy at 5, then moved it up to 7, and eventually 9 by the end of it. Still had a hard time getting the closeness I got with the Derbys and Sharks in the Shaving Revolution. The second time I used it on 9 right out of the gate and the results were about the same. I used it twice in the Fatboy and then threw it in the Shaving Revolution and switched to a Treet Platinum in the Fatboy. I still wanted to use my new toy, but the Lab Blues have a pretty good reputation around here so I wanted to see how it handled in another razor.

The first shave with the Treet was about the same as the Lab Blue. I wasn't impressed. Smooth, but inefficient. The second shave with the Treet was much better. BBS in three passes with very little touch up. At this point, I'm using the Fatboy on 9 full time. I think it may have just taken me three shaves to adjust my angle to the Fatboy.

For my next shave, I used the Lab Blue in the Shaving Revolution. it was only a 24 hour stubble, but got me BBS with little touch up. I would still say I favor the Shark and the Derby, but as this was the third shave on this blade, it deserves another shot. I was planning on running through every brand in the PIF sampler before using one twice, but I think I'll try a new Lab Blue in the Fatboy again next.

This morning was my third shave with the Treet Platinum in the Fatboy. It was the best of the three shaves, as well. I know people say certain blades work better for them after a shave or two, so maybe that's part of it. Thinking about pushing it farther than my standard "three shaves then toss" approach.

Thanks again, Stefan. Trying these different blades has been a really great experience.
I'm glad you're enjoying the trial!!!
You can overclock your fatboy if you need it more aggressive. The fatboy is the most mild out of all the gillette adjustables.
I have good results with labs in my slim, so I don't know. Definitely YMMV.
Try the personna red IP in the fatboy if you have them. Can never remember what was sent to who.
Or GSB and see if it helps.
Funny you're getting such close shaves from blades more on the mild side.

Funny you're getting such close shaves from blades more on the mild side.
Perhaps it's just the improvement in my technique. I'm saving the Nacets and the Feathers for last due to their reputations. If they're really as sharp as everyone says, I can't imagine I'll need to do my full WTG/XTG/ATG + touch up to get as close as I am now. Any other suggestions on really sharp blades I should hold off on? I don't have the list of what you sent me in front of me right now, so I can't tell you what I have.

Top Bottom