What's new

Newbie: been lurking; question on Baili BR171 and Karve

I got into DE safety razors within the last 6 months and have discovered Badger and Blade. My short journey:

-got a TTO Viking Blade The Chieftain and some off-brand blades (Saving Revolution? I now have better blades, a variety!); I was determined to shed the plastic of most razors. It's a good thing I was determined, because that razor is far too harsh for my face: too much blade exposure I reckon, or guard gap, or whatever. It is a wonder I stuck with it.

-slightly more educated after reading here a bit, I got a Merkur 34c - it was much better for me

-I wanted to try a 'less aggressive' razor so I got a Baili BR171 for 6 bucks, plus 4 shipping; it is currently my favorite

-I also got a King C. Gillette DE Razor at Walgreens (because, why not?); I find it okay: a bit more of a blade feel than the 34c, but similar for me

So now I am ready to get a 'better quality' DE razor that is similar to my Bailey BR 171. My assumption is that the blade exposure on the 171 must be either neutral or even negative: I mean, the sold bar is WAY FAR from the blade, giving it an enormous 'blade gap.' The blade angle appears quite steep to me. So I assume that the blade must be almost recessed in relation to the shaving plain. I get a DFS without much blade feel at all.

What modern, long-lasting (probably stainless steel) razor would be similar? I've been thinking about the Karve on plate B or plate C.

Suggestions or comments?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Welcome Gamagrass, the Merkur 34c is a good, popular razor, as is the Edwin Jagger DE89, there will be much advice on what is a good quality razor but in the end the best razor is the one that fits you best. A good Stainless to look into with multiple choices and combinations of heads and handles is Above The Tie, give them a call for advice. for vintage, I started out with a Gillette Slim Adjustable that has given me great shaves for nearly 60 years and still looks and works great. Razor Emporium (call or E-Mail for advice) has many quality rebuilt and re-plated Vintage razors and also new like the Rex in 3 piece or adjustable stainless. If buying a vintage razor on line, I would choose Very carefully. What I just suggested just scratches the surface. In the end it's what fits you best.

Some of the more mild Razorock stainless steel razors, like the BBS or Game Changer .68, might be good for you.
Thanks, yes, I have looked, but so far, none of their stuff is available right now. At least, last time I looked

Some of the more mild Razorock stainless steel razors, like the BBS or Game Changer .68, might be good for you.
Thanks, yes, I have looked, but so far, none of their stuff is available right now. At least, last time I looked
Welcome Gamagrass, the Merkur 34c is a good, popular razor, as is the Edwin Jagger DE89, there will be much advice on what is a good quality razor but in the end the best razor is the one that fits you best. A good Stainless to look into with multiple choices and combinations of heads and handles is Above The Tie, give them a call for advice. for vintage, I started out with a Gillette Slim Adjustable that has given me great shaves for nearly 60 years and still looks and works great. Razor Emporium (call or E-Mail for advice) has many quality rebuilt and re-plated Vintage razors and also new like the Rex in 3 piece or adjustable stainless. If buying a vintage razor on line, I would choose Very carefully. What I just suggested just scratches the surface. In the end it's what fits you best.
thanks I have not looked that carefully at ATT - will do it

thanks I have not looked that carefully at ATT - will do it
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
We've visited Australia and NZ a couple of times. I'd emigrate if it were practical. Alas: I would have to take the extended family, and am not rich enough to do it! Thanks for your response

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I got into DE safety razors within the last 6 months and have discovered Badger and Blade. My short journey:

-got a TTO Viking Blade The Chieftain and some off-brand blades (Saving Revolution? I now have better blades, a variety!); I was determined to shed the plastic of most razors. It's a good thing I was determined, because that razor is far too harsh for my face: too much blade exposure I reckon, or guard gap, or whatever. It is a wonder I stuck with it.

-slightly more educated after reading here a bit, I got a Merkur 34c - it was much better for me

-I wanted to try a 'less aggressive' razor so I got a Baili BR171 for 6 bucks, plus 4 shipping; it is currently my favorite

-I also got a King C. Gillette DE Razor at Walgreens (because, why not?); I find it okay: a bit more of a blade feel than the 34c, but similar for me

So now I am ready to get a 'better quality' DE razor that is similar to my Bailey BR 171. My assumption is that the blade exposure on the 171 must be either neutral or even negative: I mean, the sold bar is WAY FAR from the blade, giving it an enormous 'blade gap.' The blade angle appears quite steep to me. So I assume that the blade must be almost recessed in relation to the shaving plain. I get a DFS without much blade feel at all.

What modern, long-lasting (probably stainless steel) razor would be similar? I've been thinking about the Karve on plate B or plate C.

Suggestions or comments?
Here are my impressions on a number of mid-priced razors:

The Karve Brass is quite good. :)

Welcome to B&B.
My assumption is that the blade exposure on the 171 must be either neutral or even negative: I mean, the sold bar is WAY FAR from the blade, giving it an enormous 'blade gap.' The blade angle appears quite steep to me. So I assume that the blade must be almost recessed in relation to the shaving plain. I get a DFS without much blade feel at all.
Your description of blade gap sounds a bit confusing so this may help; Safety Razor Parameters: Illustrated and Defined | Badger & Blade
You are correct about the BR 171, it is based on the Gillette Tech which has a small blade gap and neutral or negative blade exposure hence a mild razor. However with good technique it does deliver good shaves.
Perhaps a good second hand Gillette Tech may suit you, it is lauded by many as a great razor.
The Gamechanger .68 is also very popular and also has slightly negative blade exposure; a popular stainless steel razor. The blade gap is similar to the Merkur 34C and EJ DE89 (similar to KCG).
The Merkur 34C is an excellent razor and I would suggest you persevere with that paired with a GSB blade. It is not made from stainless steel though but I don't see that as a problem.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Welcome to B&B @Gamagrass! The Bali 171 is indeed a mild and capable razor, if you check out the
you will find several members using the Bali 171 or similar razors such as the Razorock DE1.

The Karve with a B plate will be very close to what you are using in the way of closeness and blade feel, but it will be much smoother. Have you considered an open comb?

First off, welcome! Great suggestions for razors - Karve & Rockwell, as well as vintage Gillette Tech. Whatever you get, stick with that setup for at least a month. Each razor shaves differently, so you are delaying learning proper technique the more you change gear. This is a wonderful pastime, enjoy your journey!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Welcome, I agree with the previous poster about sticking with your setup. Good technique will help with other razors down the line.

Happy shaves.

Top Bottom