What's new

Newbie... been lurking for awhile now

Hello. This is my first post but I’ve been reading many posts here in B&B and taking in all kinds of information over the last few months. A little about me and my shaving habits up until now:

I’ve always been primarily a wet shaver over the years except for using a Norelco electric razor that was given to me by my wife as a gift when I was in a pinch for time. I can remember receiving a Mach 3 razor in the mail for free courteous of Gillette on my 18[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday (half a lifetime ago). It was obviously a ploy the marketing geniuses at Gillette dreamt up to lure in unsuspecting young men and trap them into buying the expensive replacement cartridges for the rest of their lives (or at least that’s how it worked out for me). Up until a couple months ago I’d been using the Fusion with the matching cheap shaving gel in a can.

Last year I got into being something of a “cologne nut” (love the Creed’s) and that sort of lead me into the world of traditional wet shaving. I started finding information about the aftershaves and colognes offered by the 3T’s…. the next thing I knew I was buying sampler sets of colognes from GFT, T&H, Floris, Penhaligon’s and shaving cream samples from TOBS. After doing some research on equipment, I decided to get an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor. I got that particular razor partly because of the reviews on B&B and partly because number 89 was my football jersey number in high school and college. I also have a friend at work who is from England so as a tribute to her I went with the English over the Germans. In a similar way I wanted so much to love Floris No. 89…. but to no avail… the only Floris fragrance I find “bottle-worthy” is Santal.

I’m one of those newbies who has already dove into this hobby head first. I received a Georgetown G20 scuttle yesterday in the mail and used it for the first time today. Probably the best shave of my life. I had a nice four day old beard I was sporting because I was trying to heal up from consecutive days of shaving with a DE razor while working on my shaving technique. Also, don’t ask me why, but I didn’t want to be clean shaven for the Springsteen concert I attended last night in Cleveland. Anyway, I used a sample of GFT Rose cream, my Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL Super Badger Brush, my Edwin Jagger DE89 with a brand new Wilkinson Sword razor blade and had a great three pass shave (I’m not brave enough to go XTG on that fourth pass yet) other than the one small nick on my chin. No razor burn whatsoever. Followed it up with a cold water rinse, alum block, stypic for my nick, Thayer’s lavender witch hazel toner and some Acqua Di Gio aftershave lotion and EDT.

I’ve got a lot of equipment, creams, soaps, balms and splashes already for a newbie. SSAD hit me early. I’m excited to learn more and get my DE shaving technique down so I can better appreciate the acquisitions. The reality is your whiskers can only grow so fast and you only have so many layers of skin on your face, so you can only use the products and equipment so fast as well. My goal more than anything is to find as much fun and happiness in a simple daily task…. and to pass down the knowledge and tradition to my boys when they are old enough to shave. I look forward to interacting with the fine gentlemen on B&B.

Ben

Welcome to B&B and to the art of wet shaving! Wow you have good taste. I especially enfoy the EJ89 and Acqua Di Gio.

Top Bottom