What's new

Newbie: Are these edges questionable?

Been interested in trying straight razors as DE shaves have become "too easy."

Anyway, I've done a good amount of research for beginners and I'm mostly interested in a shave-ready vintage. Many people have said, "pick something no less than 5/8 from someone known to provide true "shave ready" edges-- go for looks if you want."

So, I don't mind paying a little more for something "pretty."

Here are 2 that I'm gravitating toward and would appreciate extra eyes on the edges regarding hone wear, thanks!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Either would probably do right by you... first set looks like abetter edge to me. Just buy something and have them send it straight to Doc for honing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

Either would be good. No. 2 might be better as a first SR as it has a Dutch (round) point that some say is a little more forgiving. It also appears to be about a 5/8 while No. 1 appears to be about a 6/8.

Better yet, get both. Send No. 2 away for professional honing and keep No. 1 to learn stropping and honing on.

Do not try SR shaving until the blade has been professionally honed.

I dont know about these, but I have found the two Dubl Ducks I have had to be very forgiving and easy to shave with. Very much recommended for a newbie. I still keep one, actually.

But agreed that these two look fine, edge wise. I would lean toward the Goldedge for the reasons why our Aussie enabler has already mentioned. :)

I agree with L. A. Jones. #2 appears to have some edge deformations that would need to be honed out to make it shave ready. #1 looks better.

I also agree with rbscebu in that two razors are always better than one.

No1 has less hone wear whereas No2 it is starting to ride up into the stabilizer, and you can see towards the toe the amount of hone wear. So if I was you I would buy both if the funds are ok and at a price your willing to pay for them,
then send No1 to have it honed and use No2 to practice on. Or send both out for honing that way you would have 2 straights shave ready, but a word of advice whoever hones them ask to have the toe muted on No1.

And Welcome into the straight side of shaving.

Thanks to all who responded. Your descriptions of the edges (hopefully) gave insights on what I should look for.

And, in typical newbie fashion, I didn't end up with either. I found a better condition Dubl Duck Goldedge on Etsy. Then, I won an auction for a great condition Friodur 72 1/2 from Romania, which is on the way, though I doubt it will be truly shave-ready.

Pics:

Dubl Duck Goldedge

dubl duck goldedge.jpeg

Friodur

proxy.php

Had my first shave with the Dubl Duck this morning. Took me 45 mins... like it was my first DE shave.

Result: Close shave on cheeks. Patchy everywhere else. No blood. Face feels very raw compared to DE.

Excited for the next shave. I fear a near rabbit hole has been discovered. Thanks gents.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks to all who responded. Your descriptions of the edges (hopefully) gave insights on what I should look for.

And, in typical newbie fashion, I didn't end up with either. I found a better condition Dubl Duck Goldedge on Etsy. Then, I won an auction for a great condition Friodur 72 1/2 from Romania, which is on the way, though I doubt it will be truly shave-ready.

Pics:

Dubl Duck Goldedge

View attachment 1110051

Friodur

proxy.php

Had my first shave with the Dubl Duck this morning. Took me 45 mins... like it was my first DE shave.

Result: Close shave on cheeks. Patchy everywhere else. No blood. Face feels very raw compared to DE.

Excited for the next shave. I fear a near rabbit hole has been discovered. Thanks gents.
You were quick. My first SR shave took over an hour. If your face feels "raw", that generally means that your blade angle is too steep, your edge is not yet sharp enough and/or you are using too much pressure.

For a start, reduce your blade angle such that the air gap between the blade's spine and your skin is about a half to one spine thickness. For pressure, forget about trying the cut/remove whiskers, just shave to remove the lather. If your edge is sharp enough, the whiskers will come away with the lather.

Don't try for results similar to your DE shaves. That and better will automatically come as your technique (prep, shaving and blade maintenance) improve with each shave.

Report back here on your 100th SR shave 😁.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Don't neglect smaller blades. My favorites are 4/8 and 9/16 and I get my best shaves for them.
Disclaimer: IMHO

Pics:

Dubl Duck Goldedge

View attachment 1110051

Friodur

proxy.php

I’ve bought a razor from that seller in Romania, it came shave ready, good luck and never hesitate with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't neglect smaller blades. My favorites are 4/8 and 9/16 and I get my best shaves for them.
Disclaimer: IMHO

Absolutely. Given the valleys on my neck, I would consider smaller blades/shorter edges for maneuverability. But, I'm going to get a feel for what to look for by using these two, for now.

I’ve bought a razor from that seller in Romania, it came shave ready, good luck and never hesitate with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's reassuring. Thanks! Guess I got decent shave-ready razors on both purchases.

I recorded the first shave if anyone is interested in critiquing the terrible technique (warning: long vid).

And, my first stropping session (50 laps on leather):

nice job simon! i skimmed over both vids and you had some nice technique for a newbie. figuring out the holds, angles, stretching is half the battle. it was clear you had some of it down well enough, maybe next time you'll get a closer shave. how did it feel?

i think you find that you don't need such a light light touch on the strop and the raised parts will more or less go away when you hang the strop and use it with a bit of tension. nice turns, you'll find a hold with the wrist action that is comfortable to go up and back.

nice job, once again.

I've completed 3 shaves now it that raw feeling from the first shave is gone. Biggest problem areas remain the areas closest to the lips -- I'll keep working on it.

@global_dev thanks for taking a peek at the vids and advice on stropping.

Looking forward to the day I can finish a straight razor shave in under 20 mins...

Good razor hold in the stropping video, and sensible speed. Great that you are using it flat.

Let's programme the muscle memory a bit more.

As you are making the stroke imagine you are spreading very very very soft butter. You want to think about spreading it evenly along the length of the strop.

Or: imagine the edge reforming, burnishing, and picking up grease from the leather.

Before the end of the stroke rotate the edge up from the strop 20 degrees, slow and stop.
With the razor stationery rotate the edge round and over to about 30 degrees from the strop.
Now start moving the blade back and slowly lower the edge to the strop.
You can imagine there is a piece of fluff that you are trying to lightly catch and pull back along. There should be no impact when the edge makes contact, just a brushing.

When your speed increases this will become a fluid motion but right now it's good to programme the brain with each of the transitory steps.

Remember it takes 2 weeks for the neural pathways to reorganize to fire the muscles in synchronisation and can take 8 weeks for true muscle development so take your time.

Regarding the shaving video. Very hard to advise another gent on how to shave their face, given the different contours and growth patterns. You seem to have a good understanding of the razor to face angle even on your chin. I must admit I didn't watch the whole thing but skipped through. You aren't yet using the whole length of the blade efficiently but I think that will just come with time. It looks like you have the fundamentals which just leaves shaving on a regular basis to build confidence and fluidity. Great job.

Well done on your first shave! You did the whole thing without resorting to a DE. When I started I had to use my regular razor to do the chin and touch up. I also felt raw because my angle was too steep.

I noticed that you make many small strokes and use a small part of the blade. You are most likely to cut yourself when placing the blade on your face. By making many short jerky strokes you are increasing the chance of cutting yourself significantly. Place the blade on the face, use as much of the blade as possible and move in one smooth stroke. You'll hear the hairs pinging and popping on the blade. Let the blade do the work.

Your DE experience is very helpful as you know about your hair growth & lathering, although your lather for pass 2 and 3 was thin and maybe that's why you felt 'raw'. Taking your time means the lather will probably thin out so reapply as you go.

I loved your big nervous breaths, I remember thinking this was the sharpest thing I have ever put on my face. Many successful shaves will teach you not to worry or fear the blade BUT always respect it.

As for your difficult areas under your jaw near the ears, you can stretch the skin up and over the jaw line to make the hairs stand. It is now pulled up onto a flat surface you can see. Use the bone to your advantage. Shave it then release, you will now have a soap free area below the bone and now you just need to do the neck area. (link below at 4:25)

When you stretch use your index and middle fingers and keep them a few inches from the blade. Its the key to a BBS shave. You can see a good example with this 75 year old Japanese barber giving as shave

Top Bottom