What's new

Newbie and loving it but need help

There's a brilliant visual guide to blade angle in the shave wiki but unfortunately it appears to be unavailable right now. Typical huh?

Basically, you have 3 possibilities:

1. Riding the cap, resulting in a shallow blade angle,
2. Riding the guard, resulting in a steep blade angle, and
3. Neutral mid way between the two extremes.

A more shallow angle reduces the risk of burn caused by the blade scrapping the skin.

So interesting development. I shaved yeserday and went ok but i used a cartridge above my lip and seemed to go ok. But i again got the tightness / scratchy / burning around my mouth

So this morning i lathered up and just left the lather on my face and washed up after 15 mins and i have the tightness again so it looks like the cream or the brush is not suiting me, i actually have it all over my face but just really noticed it worse around the mouth

I am using taylors of bond street sandalwood and a Semogue 2020 Badger Brush which uses a mix of pure and super badger

Does anyone have any idea whats more likely to be causing my issue ? I think its more likely the brush as i actualy feel like my face has brush marks after using it

Can i try the cream without the brush ?

Last edited:
So interesting development. I shaved yeserday and went ok but i used a cartridge above my lip and seemed to go ok. But i again got the tightness / scratchy / burning around my mouth

So this morning i lathered up and just left the lather on my face and washed up after 15 mins and i have the tightness again so it looks like the cream or the brush is not suiting me, i actually have it all over my face but just really noticed it worse around the mouth

I am using taylors of bond street sandalwood and a Semogue 2020 Badger Brush

Does anyone have any idea whats more likely to be causing my issue ? I think its more likely the brush as i actualy feel like my face has brush marks after using it

Can i try the cream without hte brush ?

Ah I see, the plot thickens.....

It could be a reaction to the cream, it's certainly not unheard of, but my first line of inquiry would be brush:

a) is it new?
b) how are you using it?

Ah I see, the plot thickens.....

It could be a reaction to the cream, it's certainly not unheard of, but my first line of inquiry would be brush:

a) is it new?
b) how are you using it?

brush is brand new. I am just applying the lather in a painting fashion and maybe circular in places

skin feels so right now , it’s like it was scratched or something

Well, while the general opinion is that badger brushes don't require break in periods my experience has said otherwise, certainly with pure badger hair. My first badger was a pure and it is noticeably softer now after extended use than to begin with.

The pure hair in your brush is always going to have a little what is called scritchiness to it though.

Couple of thoughts:

1. are you properly hydrating the brush before use?
2. how hard are you pressing it to your face when lathering?

If scrubbing too hard then you may also get a touch of brush burn

Well, while the general opinion is that badger brushes don't require break in periods my experience has said otherwise, certainly with pure badger hair. My first badger was a pure and it is noticeably softer now after extended use than to begin with.

The pure hair in your brush is always going to have a little what is called scritchiness to it though.

Couple of thoughts:

1. are you properly hydrating the brush before use?
2. how hard are you pressing it to your face when lathering?

If scrubbing too hard then you may also get a touch of brush burn

yeah i soak the brush for a few mins before use and brush on but dont force it on. Im going to try hand application just to make sure its not the cream even though im 99% sure its hte brush

Could be the soap, but some people are allergic to natural hair brushes or, if not allergic, their skin just does not agree with natural hair. Personally, I can't use boar (and never bothered giving badger a fair shake). You might benefit from trying out a synthetic brush.

Are you using alum in that area? If so, how many passes? Alum is an astringent and can leave the skin feeling dry and tight, as it shrinks the pores. My skin is on the dry & sensitive side. With alum I do one pass and rinse with cold water right away. Multiple passes will leave my skin tight for hours.

@mickman1234 I would advise against using a new blade every shave. Most people (YMMV, of course) seem to feel the second pass with a blade is smoother than the first.
What blade are you using? If a Feather, consider stepping down the aggression level and see if that helps.

I am using astra blades so today i tested creating the later with the TOBS sandalwood and put it on my face using my hand - didnt use the brush and low and behold my face is tingling and burning away now again so its the cream or else the brush AND the cream

So i have a synthetic brush and some Geo F Trumper GFT cream to see how i get on....

Top Bottom