What's new

Newbie And First Post!

Been lurking here awhile and decided to take the plunge.
I found an old Gillette Superspeed with a red tipped handle literally in the back of my barn. I picked up some blades from the local grocer and had my first DE shave this morning.
I'm a little raw, but the shave was just as close as I get with my Mach3.:biggrin: Today I picked up some Proraso soap in a green can and a Proraso brush at the local Target.
I'm guessing things will go even better tomorrow.

A quick question:
Is the Target brush any good for a beginner?

Thanks!

The proraso brush is fine for now, but the Red tipped SS is one of the most aggressive razors Gillette ever made.

Take it very slow, be patient, and read up on proper blade angle.

Dave

Another young padawan falls to the dark side that is DE shaving and all that goes with it! :a45:

Seriously man, get ready to start spending some moolah as the obsession deepens............................:crazy:

letterk said:
Why does this disease progress so quickly?

SCAD actually follows an exponential curve, directly related to the amount of cream (or razors for RAD, brushes for SBAD, etc) you already own.

It's an insidious disease. It seems the more you own, the more you want. That is what makes it such a deadly and debilitating disease. You start slow with a tube of Proraso from Target, dick around with that for a while, then you score a no-kidding tub of some Truefitt and Hill or other English brand at a hi-end local store. After you have lived off that high for a while, you start to feel that gentlemanly itch known as SCAD. You whip out the credit card and hit the information superhighway, at 3000 RPM in the far left lane, scanning sites from Hungerford to Osaka. Then you're history, and you'll take any one down the road to ruin with you if they even think of questioning why you want yet another and more varied scent of cream.

By the time you start edging SWMBO out of the master bedroom bath to make room for your collection, you realize that the only hope you have to keep your sanity is to spend ever increasing amounts of time looking for confirmation from the guys on this board so you can tell her, "It's OK, everybody does it. Just look at these guys"

Thanks for the warm reception guys!
I have a long history of compulsive behavior. This could be my next obsession. It was my knife obsession that brought me here. Same story. You start off with a few quality production knives and the next thing you know you're collecting customs.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
dino said:
Thanks for the warm reception guys!
I have a long history of compulsive behavior. This could be my next obsession. It was my knife obsession that brought me here. Same story. You start off with a few quality production knives and the next thing you know you're collecting customs.

Knife obsession? What's a knife obsession?

Who said knife obsession?????

full

dino, welcome! It's good to have another "Southern Oklahoman"

Last edited by a moderator:
DoubleE said:
Who said knife obsession?????

full

dino, welcome! It's good to have another "Southern Oklahoman"

Jerry,
Is that a Greg Lightfoot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to be in good company. Good to see others with a steel obsession.
Funny how some things seem to go hand-in-hand. I'm suprised it took me this long to get here.
I'll be keeping my eye out for straight razor next!:wink:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I agree, dino. I wandered into this hobby via knives. I guess I just like anything that's sharp.
At least I had a huge collection of water stones all ready for my first str8.

ouch said:
I agree, dino. I wandered into this hobby via knives. I guess I just like anything that's sharp.
At least I had a huge collection of water stones all ready for my first str8.
Like anything that sharp or livin' on the edge. That blade is exquistite. The pattern looks almost damascene, only better.

Top Bottom