What's new

Newbie and considering if i should continue with DE Shaving

Hi
I have been a cartridge blade user for over 30years and always got a smooth good shave with an occasional ingrown hair. I really like the idea of using a safety razor and all the cool soap and creams so I picked up a Muhle r89, a synthetic brush, trumpers lime face food, TOBS grapefruit shave cream and a blade sampler pack.
I started the with personna lab blue blades. My beard grows quickly so I need to shave every day. The shaves were good, not as smooth as the 5 blade cartridges but acceptable. I shaved WTG and XTG No nicks or cuts but I got some ingrown hairs/bumps. Only thing I noticed was a slight irritation/tingling sensation on my face throughout the day. I changed blades every 3-4 shaves.
I thought the ingrown hairs could be due to my technique, new shave cream or the trumpers. My routine with cartridges was wet face, use can gel, shave just WTG and ATG on neck, wash off face, rub Witch hazel on face with cotton pad then apply my usual face moisturizer
So I decided to stop using the trumpers face food and bought some Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbieri shave cream and started rye Astra SP blades
My first shave with the Astra’s felt much better that the personna blades. Smoother, less irritation but man did I break out in razor bumps/ ingrown hairs. First shave I got 3-4 on both sides of my jaw line. I took a couple of days break to let them heal a bit but after the next shave I got 4-5 on my right cheek 2-3 on my left cheek and 3 on my neck.
They look horrible so now I bought a pack of Gillette sensitive cartridges and been shaving with them until these bumps heal. But I am hesitant to go back to the safety razor. Is it my technique? I go slow, face lather until I get a slick lather, try not to go to fast or apply any pressure and took two passes just WTG. The shaves were not smooth but thought it was best to go just WTG .
I need some advice to get me to try again

Howdy,

Change just one thing at a time. For example, use your canned goo and the safety razor. Or, use shaving soap and a cart. Then you can determine what is causing irritation.

Don't expect to master a DE in a week.

Suspect a big part of the problem is you are pressing too hard, using the DE like a cart.

Mac

First, welcome to B&B.

Preparation, lather, no pressure and blade angle are vital to a good, irritation free shave. DE shaving is different from cartridge shaving in that you must be sure you are not putting any pressure on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. This post may help you. For a good post on blade angle, look here.

Although your initial attempts were not 100% successful, you did not get any nicks and cuts, so you technique is pretty good for a start. Keep it up!

You indicated that you had some irritation after your shave with TOBS Grapefruit and GFT Lime. Those are two scents that I have to avoid as those citrus scents cause severe irritation of my face. Perhaps, you are experiencing something similar.

One rule in wet shaving is not to change too many things at one time. If you change too many things at once, if you have an problem, you do not know what caused it. Thus, I suggest you try one of the following:

1. Try shaving with the DE razor using your canned shave gel. Although most forum members recommend against using canned products, at least you know that it works with the cartridge razor, so you know your face is not sensitive to the product. If you get a better shave, try to find another shave soap.

2. Try shaving with your cartridge razor using your new shave soaps. If you get irritation, you know the issue is with that shave soap and not with the razor.

When you shave with a multi-blade cartridge razor with a pivoting head, the pressure gets spread over the head of the razor and the head pivots to keep the blades at the correct shave angle. When using a DE razor, you have to adjust the pressure and shave angle manually as you go around the curves of your face. Always use the minimal amount of pressure to keep the razor in contact with your face. Since you are getting in-grown hairs, I suspect you are applying too much pressure. I have heard it said that you should never try to shave your beard, only shave the lather off your face. That allows the razor to do the job it was designed to do.

Also, with most razors, you want to keep the angle of the handle relative to your face at about 40-45 degrees. Some folks try to drop the angle to 30-35 degrees which will scrape off skin cells along with your beard. Since you have some skin sensitivity, try to avoid doing that.

Over-shaving (over-exfoliating with a blade) results in razor burns and ingrown hairs. You can get it with cartridges, DE, SE, SR... anything with an edge.

I'd recommend you use cold water to shave, it can help immensely.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply’s.
It has been about 8 weeks I am into it. Seems like I got many more bumps with the Astra blades. So I’m thinking it could be the blades even though the astra blades felt better.
Right now I am using my Acqua di Parma shaving cream and the Gillette sensitive cartridges. Been two shave and no new bumps have popped up

Hi and thanks for the quick reply’s.
It has been about 8 weeks I am into it. Seems like I got many more bumps with the Astra blades. So I’m thinking it could be the blades even though the astra blades felt better.
Right now I am using my Acqua di Parma shaving cream and the Gillette sensitive cartridges. Been two shave and no new bumps have popped up

OK stick with the AdP shave cream for now.
Once your face is completely healed, you might try going back to the DE.
Although you mentioned your fast-growing beard, you did not mention how tough it is. If your beard is not all that tough, you might be able to use a less aggressive DE blade like a Derby Extra or Shark blades.

There are two versions of the Astra blades, the Astra SP (Superior Platinum) and the Astra SS (Superior Stainess). The SS is sharper (more aggressive) than the SP. They are fairly similar in sharpness to the Personna Lab Blue (made in USA). The Israeli made Personna blades (Israeli reds and Crystals and many generic drug store brands) are sharper. If you used the SS blades, you might want to try the SP.

Many guys who have closets full of kit and thousands of hours DE and SR shaving have realized that cartridge razors are superior way to shave compared to anything else. If good shaves and comfort is the only thing you're after, there's no reason to switch from carts to DE. I personally like DE's because they remind me of when I learned shaving with my dad's kit, remembering how my granddad shaved. I enjoy the experience, the challenge, learning a new skill, even if it gives me irritation, cuts or weepers.

One example of many out there.

Howdy,

Change just one thing at a time. For example, use your canned goo and the safety razor. Or, use shaving soap and a cart. Then you can determine what is causing irritation.

Don't expect to master a DE in a week.

Suspect a big part of the problem is you are pressing too hard, using the DE like a cart.

Mac

Great advice!!

DE is a skill that takes awhile to master!! The main things to concentrate on are:
#1. NO pressure!
#2. Maintain proper razor angle!

Stick with this and you will get far better results than with carts!!

Thanks for all the great advice.
The Astra blades are SP. I’m going to stick with the AdP and cartridges until I heal up. I think my beard is pretty tough. I shave in the morning and by evening I have stubble and a 5 o’clock shadow. Stubble feels like sandpaper.
I would like to continue with the safety razor because I enjoy the process and like the relaxful feeling with the prep and shave. Hopefully I find the right routine without enduring more bump break outs.

First, welcome to B&B.

Preparation, lather, no pressure and blade angle are vital to a good, irritation free shave. DE shaving is different from cartridge shaving in that you must be sure you are not putting any pressure on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. This post may help you. For a good post on blade angle, look here.

For some reason the pictures don’t appear...any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use what works for you. If you consider that most of us had no choice when we started, we got good at using a DE. No need to use something else if you are already getting good results.

I’m 16 months in, and I’m just starting to feel like I can get a comfortable BBS with almost any set up. As others have noted, change one variable at a time. Pay attention to the pre-shaves, Soaps and AS you are using (i.e. software). Many people have small to moderate reactions to various ingredients in the software. Once you eliminate any reactive software and identify a combo that makes your face feel soft and comfortable 2-3 hours after the shave, you’re on your way. Never give up. Now that I’m dialing it in, my quality wet shaves are one of life’s great pleasures. Happy shaves!

Keep at it and take your time. It's all about technique. One thing I've found is coming from a razor with a pivoting head to a fixed head DE razor you need to seriously slow down and watch razor angle. You can have a poor technique with a pivoting head razor and it will not matter. With a DE razor it does matter.

Work on your handling of the DE razor. Once you get it, you'll wonder why it took you so long to to switch.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a learning curve. Take your time, no pressure and watch your angle. You will get there in the end. I still use my carts from time to time. They still give me great shaves with only 2 passes. Have a read through the Shave Wiki there is some great information to be read there. Good luck.

@Gerryp68
go find @AimlessWanderer and read his guide for beginning DE users.
Carts to DE.. like learning to ride a bicycle.. a whole new set of skills to learn.
Welcome and thanks for asking questions.. it makes some of us (read: me) feel smarter than we really are..:001_unsur

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@Gerryp68
go find @AimlessWanderer and read his guide for beginning DE users.
Carts to DE.. like learning to ride a bicycle.. a whole new set of skills to learn.
Welcome and thanks for asking questions.. it makes some of us (read: me) feel smarter than we really are..:001_unsur

You rang? :D

Welcome aboard, Gerry. Here's the guide...

The Wanderers Guide To DE Shaving

Part 4 has a section on irritation that should help you with those bumps. My guess would be angle is a big factor for you at the moment.

Thanks for all the great tips! Going to read over that guide a few times. Seems like it must be my Angle. Hopefully these bumps are gone by next week, they are getting better each day, and i’ll give it a try again. Going to try and take it much slower and concentrate on that angle
I’ll update my progress.

I hope you get it worked out. DE shaving is a skill, & once you have proper technique, it's a skill that provides much pleasure & relaxation.

Top Bottom