What's new

Newbie Alert 🚨

First time poster; long time lurker and here is my story so far.

For 10 years I had been shaving with a double blade cartridge razor from Dollar Shave Club and liked it due to it's mild effects on my somewhat acne prone skin. That razor combined with Aveeno therapeutic shave gel has given me the best results, though far from perfect. I have always and still shave every other morning after a shower.

Fast forward to late October 2021 and a stop into an AOS store. The staff there walked me through how to properly shave and I walked out with a Pure Badger brush, brush stand, AOS Sandalwood pre-shave oil and shave cream... the salesman did their job and I'm currently falling into the rabbit hole. At that time I didn't purchase a DE razor due to my lack of knowledge and fear of what it might do to my "sensitive skin". I began shaving with my new AOS supplies using the DSC double blade cartridge (1 pass WTG). My acne flared up within 1 week and I switched back to my Aveeno, but I didn't want to give up. I began researching DE razors and watching "how to wet shave" videos on YouTube while my skin healed. I decided to go with a Chieftain Jr. razor and asked my wife for it for Christmas along with a sample pack of blades. I began using that razor with my AOS supplies and ran through blades somewhat hastily (2 shaves each) in search of the perfect blade for me. I felt the Chieftain Jr was too harsh on my skin (I don't think it was, I think my technique was terrible) so I put it down and purchased The Winning Razor and began shaving with that, again using my AOS software and trying different blades (always 1 pass WTG). I like the feel of the Winning Razor in my hand, but it really caused my skin to breakout on my lower cheeks. I think the irritation was a combination of poor technique and the excess drag due to the head rubbing or suctioning to my face. Combine that with the ingredients of the AOS oil and cream and I was a frustrated. In mid-January I continued to use the Winning Razor, but I switched to Proraso White preshave and shave cream and began using alum (for feedback) and witch hazel post shave. I found I was more successful, but still had the irritation on my lower cheeks although it was much milder.

Within the last three weeks I've made 1 change per week that have combined to change my experience and boost my confidence and enjoyment:

Week 1 - through my "tour of blades" I settled on the Voskhod in my Winning Razor. What a difference this blade made for me. No weepers, no nicks and super smooth with even less irritation than I had been having, but the razor still felt too mild and I didn't want to test my skin with more than 1 pass.
Week 2 - I spent the better part of 2 evenings scouring B&B in search of the perfect shave technique and decided I was going to shave with zero (more like very minimal) pressure and switch back to the more aggressive Chieftain Jr with the Voskhod blades. I really have to focus and tune into my skin during my shave, but it has made an unbelievable difference! I still use 1 pass WTG, but, at this point I have minimal irritation and get a shave that's good enough for work.
Week 3 - I decided to make the switch to soap after researching that soaps could really help with sensitive skin as compared to creams. I received my order of PAA Unscented shave soap (I suspected irritation from perfumes). What a great, slick soap that lathers well. I've had 3 shaves with it and they're the best I've had yet! I'm still doing one pass WTG, but the results are good enough for me (for now) and the irritation is almost nonexistant.

In summary here is where I am after only 4 months in this new (to me) wet shaving world:

-Using the Chieftain Jr with a Voskhod blade - it is more aggressive than the Winning razor, but still fairly mild and gives a "passable shave" with just 1 pass. Minimal to no pressure is the key!
-Using unscented shave soap from PAA with Proraso White preshave - I feel that I'm sensitive to fragrances and will stick with this unscented, slick soap. I do like fragrances and also purchased some soaps from PAA so I get my "scent fix" each day.
-Using the alum block for feedback and rinse it off within 30 seconds.
-Using Dickenson's witch hazel post alum block.
-Using Neutrogena Healty Skin facial moisturizer with SPF 15.

I look forward to many great conversations and soaking up all the advice as I join in on the fun of shaving. Now where is my wallet?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
First time poster; long time lurker and here is my story so far.

For 10 years I had been shaving with a double blade cartridge razor from Dollar Shave Club and liked it due to it's mild effects on my somewhat acne prone skin. That razor combined with Aveeno therapeutic shave gel has given me the best results, though far from perfect. I have always and still shave every other morning after a shower.

Fast forward to late October 2021 and a stop into an AOS store. The staff there walked me through how to properly shave and I walked out with a Pure Badger brush, brush stand, AOS Sandalwood pre-shave oil and shave cream... the salesman did their job and I'm currently falling into the rabbit hole. At that time I didn't purchase a DE razor due to my lack of knowledge and fear of what it might do to my "sensitive skin". I began shaving with my new AOS supplies using the DSC double blade cartridge (1 pass WTG). My acne flared up within 1 week and I switched back to my Aveeno, but I didn't want to give up. I began researching DE razors and watching "how to wet shave" videos on YouTube while my skin healed. I decided to go with a Chieftain Jr. razor and asked my wife for it for Christmas along with a sample pack of blades. I began using that razor with my AOS supplies and ran through blades somewhat hastily (2 shaves each) in search of the perfect blade for me. I felt the Chieftain Jr was too harsh on my skin (I don't think it was, I think my technique was terrible) so I put it down and purchased The Winning Razor and began shaving with that, again using my AOS software and trying different blades (always 1 pass WTG). I like the feel of the Winning Razor in my hand, but it really caused my skin to breakout on my lower cheeks. I think the irritation was a combination of poor technique and the excess drag due to the head rubbing or suctioning to my face. Combine that with the ingredients of the AOS oil and cream and I was a frustrated. In mid-January I continued to use the Winning Razor, but I switched to Proraso White preshave and shave cream and began using alum (for feedback) and witch hazel post shave. I found I was more successful, but still had the irritation on my lower cheeks although it was much milder.

Within the last three weeks I've made 1 change per week that have combined to change my experience and boost my confidence and enjoyment:

Week 1 - through my "tour of blades" I settled on the Voskhod in my Winning Razor. What a difference this blade made for me. No weepers, no nicks and super smooth with even less irritation than I had been having, but the razor still felt too mild and I didn't want to test my skin with more than 1 pass.
Week 2 - I spent the better part of 2 evenings scouring B&B in search of the perfect shave technique and decided I was going to shave with zero (more like very minimal) pressure and switch back to the more aggressive Chieftain Jr with the Voskhod blades. I really have to focus and tune into my skin during my shave, but it has made an unbelievable difference! I still use 1 pass WTG, but, at this point I have minimal irritation and get a shave that's good enough for work.
Week 3 - I decided to make the switch to soap after researching that soaps could really help with sensitive skin as compared to creams. I received my order of PAA Unscented shave soap (I suspected irritation from perfumes). What a great, slick soap that lathers well. I've had 3 shaves with it and they're the best I've had yet! I'm still doing one pass WTG, but the results are good enough for me (for now) and the irritation is almost nonexistant.

In summary here is where I am after only 4 months in this new (to me) wet shaving world:

-Using the Chieftain Jr with a Voskhod blade - it is more aggressive than the Winning razor, but still fairly mild and gives a "passable shave" with just 1 pass. Minimal to no pressure is the key!
-Using unscented shave soap from PAA with Proraso White preshave - I feel that I'm sensitive to fragrances and will stick with this unscented, slick soap. I do like fragrances and also purchased some soaps from PAA so I get my "scent fix" each day.
-Using the alum block for feedback and rinse it off within 30 seconds.
-Using Dickenson's witch hazel post alum block.
-Using Neutrogena Healty Skin facial moisturizer with SPF 15.

I look forward to many great conversations and soaking up all the advice as I join in on the fun of shaving. Now where is my wallet?
What an encouraging post. I’m so glad you posted, sharing your journey. May you continue to pursue and find joy in the routine of shaving!

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing of your next acquisitions as your wallet goes down the rabbit hole. Mine's already down there somewhere. But seriously, shaving becomes fun when it changes from a chore to a hobby.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great first post. I like these introductions where a lot of thought has gone into it. Welcome to the forum from Australia and thank you for the fantastic introductory post.

Great first post. I like these introductions where a lot of thought has gone into it. Welcome to the forum from Australia and thank you for the fantastic introductory post.
I'm glad you liked it... I was afraid I was a little to long winded!

Yesterday’s shave went pretty well, but I noticed that as I slowed down and focused on no pressure the blade seemed to tug a little bit and I also had a weeper. Was I shaving too slow or could it be a dull blade? It was my 4th shave with a Voshkod.

Top Bottom