What's new

newbe questions

Hi,
I am new here at B&B.
I have been using DE for several years but straight razor for just a couple of month now and I think get pretty decent shaves, but to be able to get futher in my shaving, i need answeres of a couple of questians.

1) How aften do you need to hone your straight razor?
I have read that you will have to hone your razor ones or at mest a couple of Times' a year.
I have to hone maybe ones a month, could I do the stroping wrong or something else?
What is common misstankes to damage the sharpness?

2) I try to use both hand equally during my shave, but I have some issues.
What different grep shall i use when shave the neck? I have tried to watch youtube but still I dont get it.

3) what is the pro and cons to have a straight razor of the size 5/8 and 6/8?

BR
andreas

Hi,
I am new here at B&B.
I have been using DE for several years but straight razor for just a couple of month now and I think get pretty decent shaves, but to be able to get futher in my shaving, i need answeres of a couple of questians.

1) How aften do you need to hone your straight razor?
I have read that you will have to hone your razor ones or at mest a couple of Times' a year.
I have to hone maybe ones a month, could I do the stroping wrong or something else?
What is common misstankes to damage the sharpness?

2) I try to use both hand equally during my shave, but I have some issues.
What different grep shall i use when shave the neck? I have tried to watch youtube but still I dont get it.

3) what is the pro and cons to have a straight razor of the size 5/8 and 6/8?

BR
andreas

1. Some people maintain a razor by using a pasted strop once it begins to tug facial hair. You might do that on a weekly basis or every 2 weeks or when ever it's needed. If you do that you may not need to hone more than a few times a year. If you don't use a pasted strop to maintain then you will probably hone on a finishing hone that often.

2. Shaving the neck is harder. I shave the top half of the neck the same way I shave the cheeks. I shave the bottom half of the neck from the bottom up and I open the razor all the way open (scales all the way open) for that.

3. Razor size is just a preference. I prefer 6/8 and don't have any razors narrower than 5/8. The weight is better with larger razors for me and they are easier to hone for me.

So I have very little knowledge so take what I say with a tiny grain of salt.

From what I have ascertained honing needs are by usage and how well you strop the razor. When stropping make sure the blade sits flat on the strop and do not use too much pressure. If you do not have have one get or make yourself a pasted strop (search the stropping section it's right in the stickies section).

I finally started being able to use my off hand for shaving, still a little shaky but a lot better than when I first started out. It takes time do not rush and before you know it you will be shaving off hand nearly as good as with your strong hand. For the neck area at first I would kind of hold the blade and scales across in a straight line. Then once I was more comfortable, which did not take long, I just hold the razor as I do when shaving my cheeks and switch hands to cover my whole neck. When I was still learning with my off hand I would do the straight line hold to do the opposite side of my neck.

Welcome to B&B!
1.) With honing, there are a lot of variables. It depends on how often you use it, your facial hair, the blade itself, the edge you put on it, and the stropping. I am sure there are other things that would affect the edge as well. As mentioned above a pasted strop of some sort may help you increase the time between hones. I use the same razor 6 days a week, my facial hair is probably average (not too thick, not too thin), and I do not regularly use a pasted strop. I probably hone every 2 months, but usually it's just a touch up honing.

2.) The neck can be tricky. I use both hands as well. For my neck on passes going down I use my right hand for the right side and left hand for the left side. Chin extended out and up with my head turned slightly to the opposite direction and I use my opposite hand to stretch the skin upwards. I use the same hold as I do on my cheeks. Maybe just rotate the blade slightly in my fingers. For across the grain, I typically go from the ear to the chin. I use the right hand on right side and left hand on the left side. I usually have my hand up by my cheek with the razor point down and shave towards my chin. If I do a pass up, or against the grain I use my left hand for the right side and right hand for the left side. I actually hold the razor similar to how I hold a spoon. Scales inside my palm and blade between my thumb and finger. If that makes sense.

3.) Size is a preference thing. A bigger blade will give you more weight which can help with thicker beards. It will also give you more surface area for lather. You will have to clean your blade off less. A smaller blade is easier to move around. So they might be easier to get tight spaces or odd spaces on your face. My everyday shaver is a 5/8. I have used from 4/8 to 6/8. For me there is very little noticeable difference in that range. If I miss a day or two for some reason, the 4/8 struggles a little on that first shave with a couple day's growth. If I am shaving every day, there isn't much of a difference. I might have to do a little extra buffing with the 4/8. I would really like to try a 7/8 or 8/8. Someday maybe I will pick one up.

Hope that helps, enjoy the shaves!

Welcome to B&B!
1.) With honing, there are a lot of variables. It depends on how often you use it, your facial hair, the blade itself, the edge you put on it, and the stropping. I am sure there are other things that would affect the edge as well. As mentioned above a pasted strop of some sort may help you increase the time between hones. I use the same razor 6 days a week, my facial hair is probably average (not too thick, not too thin), and I do not regularly use a pasted strop. I probably hone every 2 months, but usually it's just a touch up honing.

2.) The neck can be tricky. I use both hands as well. For my neck on passes going down I use my right hand for the right side and left hand for the left side. Chin extended out and up with my head turned slightly to the opposite direction and I use my opposite hand to stretch the skin upwards. I use the same hold as I do on my cheeks. Maybe just rotate the blade slightly in my fingers. For across the grain, I typically go from the ear to the chin. I use the right hand on right side and left hand on the left side. I usually have my hand up by my cheek with the razor point down and shave towards my chin. If I do a pass up, or against the grain I use my left hand for the right side and right hand for the left side. I actually hold the razor similar to how I hold a spoon. Scales inside my palm and blade between my thumb and finger. If that makes sense.

3.) Size is a preference thing. A bigger blade will give you more weight which can help with thicker beards. It will also give you more surface area for lather. You will have to clean your blade off less. A smaller blade is easier to move around. So they might be easier to get tight spaces or odd spaces on your face. My everyday shaver is a 5/8. I have used from 4/8 to 6/8. For me there is very little noticeable difference in that range. If I miss a day or two for some reason, the 4/8 struggles a little on that first shave with a couple day's growth. If I am shaving every day, there isn't much of a difference. I might have to do a little extra buffing with the 4/8. I would really like to try a 7/8 or 8/8. Someday maybe I will pick one up.

Hope that helps, enjoy the shaves!

I really appriciate the answeres, some of your answeres was News to me, other i allready know, but the give alot to know how other people shave and handle the razor and that I probably do something Wright.

Top Bottom