What's new

Newb wanting to get started

I'm a total neophyte with regards to DE shaving. I just got done thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail last month and grew the beard (about 7 months) in the photo below. Upon my reentry to "proper society" the beard had to go, although I did like it. And no, I have not appeared on Duck Dynasty...... After having a barber remove the beard, I found my old electric shaver was lacking and started to look into other options. That is when I stumbled onto DE shaving. It caught my interest. I do like good things.

I'd like to start out with some good stuff. After doing some research I'm leaning toward the Merkur 38C or 38M with their matching brush and a nice stand. That is not set in stone, just a thought from my readings.

The selection of the "preshave", "cream/soap", "aftershave" seems even more daunting. Living in Central Illinois I don't think I have a store nearby where I can even find out what this stuff smells like. I'm thinking it's quite a crapshoot ordering that kind of stuff blindly online. I'd like a pleasant subdued smell over something that announces my entry into a room......

I welcome suggestions in what products to start with. Cost is not a major concern. I am thinking of ordering from The Superior Shave website, if for no other reason than I like the guy's humor on his website.

The Before and After
$before.jpg$after.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to include a sample selection of blades from various brands. This will give you an opportunity to experiment a little and find a favorite or two. There are so many combinations of creams/soaps and aftershaves it is difficult to suggest something that would fit your individual preference. You may get numerous suggestions from members, pretty much based on their individual preference. You might want to look at getting samples of a number of products. There are custom repackers who sell small quantities for helping to facilitate choice.

Heya. I got my start with a Merkur 180 (similar to the model you are considering) and it was a good choice, and the Vand der Hagen luxury shave set, which was a good starter soap (easy to produce a thick lather) with a pleasant but relatively mild scent. The VDH soaps can be had at many drug stores if you wanted to take a whiff. You can go to something fancier or more exotic later, eh?

Very few aftershaves have a scent that lasts for more than, say, 20 min after the shave or so, if that is any comfort!

Welcome!

Personally I would guide you toward Edwin Jagger rather than Merkur. The reason being that Merkur has been know to have blistering occur in the chrome plating. Generally it hasn't been anything serious, but it does keep them from being the kind of consistent quality that one might want to pass down to his children. As to post shave, I've been using Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel since it has very little scent and excellent soothing/moisturizing properties thanks to glycerine, aloe vera, lavender included in the formla. For lathering agents there are a number of high value products with very low costs: RazoRock Classic or Fresco ($7) and Speick ($6.50) for creams, and for soaps RazoRock also has $9 tubs of artisan soap that I've heard is very good.

Absolute killer of a beard!

Id start with Proraso's stuff, it's so damn good!
If you like menthol/ eucalyptus smells go with the green, if you're more of a wood man go with the red but if you find you have sensitive skin and want a more neutral (very mild smelling) cream, go with the white.

I started with a Merkur 34c (HD) and can not rate it high enough, such a good razor.

All the best and welcome to B&B!

Somewhere deep in the Louisiana bajou, Phil Robertson just spit etoufee all over his laptop and is screaming randomly into the night sky. Welcome to the forums.

I'd recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89. Their quality is spot on, plus this razor is efficient yet not too aggressive. As far as blades go, get a sampler pack, as everyone has their own favorites....blades are the most subjective choice in the whole equation. Proraso in the tube is a great cream for a newb...or a veteran. I envy you for hiking the A. trail, it is a dream of mine also.

I'd recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89. Their quality is spot on, plus this razor is efficient yet not too aggressive. As far as blades go, get a sampler pack, as everyone has their own favorites....blades are the most subjective choice in the whole equation. Proraso in the tube is a great cream for a newb...or a veteran. I envy you for hiking the A. trail, it is a dream of mine also.
Thanks for all the input. I've been chatting with TheSuperiorShave via email. I think I'm set for my opening purchases.

Re the Appalachian Trail: The 2185.9 miles took me from March 4 to Sept 17 to finish. It was a life-long dream of mine as well. Maine about killed me. My blog is at http://www.trailjournals.com/chinmusic

Top Bottom