What's new

Newb to single edge. Need some advice.

Howdy all,

I've been pondering on adding a single edge to my lineup however I have never tried one. If I were to give one a go what would you recommend? Brand or model of razor? Blades?

I am no stranger to DE or Straight shaving but I'd like to expand my options, experience and collection at the same time.

Robert

Get yourself a Schick injector! The type G razors are plentiful and cheap. They are very easy to master.
20200321_113322.jpg

As weird as I am if I buy something I want it to be something solid metal and a tad more modern in case I do keep it. I was looking at the RazoRock Hawk but I don't know enough about single edges to make a choice.

As weird as I am if I buy something I want it to be something solid metal and a tad more modern in case I do keep it. I was looking at the RazoRock Hawk but I don't know enough about single edges to make a choice.

solid metal lol.

20200322_120236.jpg

camo

An interesting option would be to go old school and modern at the same time. Pair a One Blade Core (about $20.00) with a vintage Vallet Auto Stop ($10-$20 on e_bay). One is modern and high tech and the other is almost Victorian but they both take the same Feather single edge blade and are good shavers.

I would recommend the RazoRock Hawk unless you happen to prefer vintage razors. The only vintage SE I have tried (and still use) is the MMOC, but I wouldn't suggest that as your first SE. Whiterook's suggested Supply injector is a good choice if you want something more substantial feeling than the aluminum Hawk. But for that price I would recommend going with the Classic Shaving Enoch. Like the Hawk it's an AC razor, but it is all stainless steel.

I agree with the GEMS and injectors. You can find some amazing deals on eBay and pick up a featherweight GEM or G bar for under $10. If you have never shaved with an SE I would do those options that way you are not spending a lot to see if you like it.

I went ahead and ordered a Hawk V2 and some Pro Guards to see how it goes. I figured I'd use the Pro Guards first so I get the hang of it without looking like a got beat up by Edward Scissorhands.

Dangerous to start with an AC razor, though the Hawk is the safest AC choice I suppose.

A Schick Injector type L is an excellent candidate. There are a few blade choices and it's a quality razor for ~$20. Very hard to beat.

I own around 30 single edge razors, including an AC type (Jefe). If I had to recommend just one, it would be the L type injector.

Best of luck! Whatever you choose, you'll love single edge shaving :)

So how does a Gem compare to DEs? What about injectors vs DEs? I have 15+ DEs and 3 straights but no single edges. My dad had an adjustable Schick Injector years ago, but it's long gone.

I came from shaving with a muhle R103 (r41)

GEMs require some respect.......but to me are smooth and efficient with less focus required.

this of course varies by which GEM you are using.

our opinions on efficiency/aggressiveness versus comfort factor vary among our group I think.

for example, some rate the regular Micromatic as aggressive while I believe it to be an extremely smooth mild efficient shaver.

the razor I used today is extremely smooth and comfortable........yet highly efficient.

if you do some searches within you will find some useful comparisons pics and diagrams by Ron.

camo

So how does a Gem compare to DEs? What about injectors vs DEs? I have 15+ DEs and 3 straights but no single edges. My dad had an adjustable Schick Injector years ago, but it's long gone.

Single edge razors don't bend or torque the blade, and thus require a good razor, designed to achieve blade rigidity. Some of the 1912 type GEMs can be bent and have heavy wear on the blade stops, resulting in an almost "loosened" grip, causing chatter or making it more difficult to achieve the right angle needed for shaving comfortably. When these razors are tight and well cared for, they make excellent blade holders, and with some patience and respect, they will provide you with very enjoyable, comfortable shaves.

A type L injector (as opposed to the earlier models which more often have similar issues with becoming loose over time) holds a thicker, more rigid blade to begin with, and it holds that blade tightly. Less risk but it's always there as with any razor. It just does such a damn fine job. It's sharp, efficient, smooth and enjoyable. It also takes most of the guess work out of getting the angle just right, due to its design.

Single edge razors don't bend or torque the blade, and thus require a good razor, designed to achieve blade rigidity. Some of the 1912 type GEMs can be bent and have heavy wear on the blade stops, resulting in an almost "loosened" grip, causing chatter or making it more difficult to achieve the right angle needed for shaving comfortably. When these razors are tight and well cared for, they make excellent blade holders, and with some patience and respect, they will provide you with very enjoyable, comfortable shaves.

A type L injector (as opposed to the earlier models which more often have similar issues with becoming loose over time) holds a thicker, more rigid blade to begin with, and it holds that blade tightly. Less risk but it's always there as with any razor. It just does such a damn fine job. It's sharp, efficient, smooth and enjoyable. It also takes most of the guess work out of getting the angle just right, due to its design.
Thank you. I think you just sold me on a Type L.

Can’t speak to the Gem type single. But I have a lot of experience w Schick injectors. YMMV the E type is the most aggressive but the J gives the best shave. The G is very forgiving. The L doesn’t perform as well because the stainless head doesn’t glide as smoothly as the J’s brass. I’d have a G for looks and a J for performance. Both will give you fantastic shaves. Schick figured out the cutting angle for you and covered the blade corners for a boob-proof shave. Oh yeah, and only use CHICK blades!

Can’t speak to the Gem type single. But I have a lot of experience w Schick injectors. YMMV the E type is the most aggressive but the J gives the best shave. The G is very forgiving. The L doesn’t perform as well because the stainless head doesn’t glide as smoothly as the J’s brass. I’d have a G for looks and a J for performance. Both will give you fantastic shaves. Schick figured out the cutting angle for you and covered the blade corners for a boob-proof shave. Oh yeah, and only use CHICK blades!
I have to admit, it is a close call for me. The J type is indeed a very nice injector and I really like the handle but there is quite a bit more blade exposure and I thought the L would be a good entry level model. Definitely a J or a L will make you fall in love with Injectors and single edge razors in general.

Top Bottom