What's new

NEWB QUESTION

I live in Ontario where the tax on a cigar is in the 40-50% range on the retail price. I stopped in at a tobacco shop attached to a local grocery store, and discovered that one of my preferred cigars (MF - Flor des Antillas) is about $2.00 per unit cheaper than the specialty shop I have been frequenting.

Is it strange that, even this morning, I am still tickled pink over this? I mean, from everything I have been told, it is not a "great" cigar, but it is a solid one for a beginner like myself. I am just ecstatic that (price-wise) this can now fit into my budget as an every day smoke (well, I am a weekend smoker, but still), as opposed to the "budget" House Blend sticks at the specialty shop.

Do any of you more experienced fans still get a thrill out finding a "deal", however meager that deal may be?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yes! A 15% discount is enough motivation for me to make a purchase. You might want to play Canada Customs Roulette and order some tobacco over the Internet while US companies are still shipping overseas. I get the feeling it will all stop soon.

I'm close enough to the border to make the drive, should the mood strike me. Erie PA is only 2-3 hours away depending on traffic. And Black Friday IS coming.

Even if US e-tailers are willing to ship, most are unwilling to "help" with their labelling (and no arguments from me on that point). Thus the risk of Duties, taxes, etc. just is not worth it to me, as it would inevitably eat up any real savings very quickly, especially given current exchange rates.

When ordering from SP, I keep my orders small. A few cigars or 7oz (200gms) of pipe tobacco and I keep the price under $20. International shipping is only $4 or so. I always request it to be sent in an envelope as boxes always seem to incur customs. (And the boxes also don’t fit in my mailbox) I normally get dinged on average about once every eight orders and it runs me around $50(CAD) to get my package. This has been my experience but YMMV. Various duties and taxes are supposed to be about $15/50gm + HST on everything + $10 customs clearance from Canada Post.

75E98D4A-A478-4BAB-B826-615C2999540A.jpeg

Usually I only order bulk but I wanted to try Carolina Red Flake while it was available. These two tins cost me $47 to get from the post office. (In addition to the actual cost and shipping). Even though I requested that it be shipped in an envelope, these came in a box so there’s no guarantees in that regard either. When it ships in an envelope, I usually get it in 1.5 weeks. Boxes usually take longer.

Hell yes, I’m always looking for any excuse to buy more tobacco. So Canada tacks on that much tax when you order online?? Damn

Not when you order, but when it crosses the border. If it gets stopped by CBSA, yeah, you're pooched. It's not a gamble I'm ready to take yet.

When ordering from SP, I keep my orders small. A few cigars or 7oz (200gms) of pipe tobacco and I keep the price under $20. International shipping is only $4 or so. I always request it to be sent in an envelope as boxes always seem to incur customs. (And the boxes also don’t fit in my mailbox) I normally get dinged on average about once every eight orders and it runs me around $50(CAD) to get my package. This has been my experience but YMMV. Various duties and taxes are supposed to be about $15/50gm + HST on everything + $10 customs clearance from Canada Post.

What is SP? I failed acronym class . . .

Also, I am not sure I would trust a shipment of cigars to an envelope, even the bubble wrap ones.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I think my address has been red circled now for special attention. Even so I don't think I've ever paid more than what I would pay at a local store. Theoretically I think the duty can be up to 200% of the price plus GST and the 10 bucks handling.

I don't think they really understand bulk pipe tobacco at all. Tins . . 50/50 ... 100% tax or just GST and handling . . . .anything that looks like a cigarette . . they understand and bop you hard.

I'm fine with paying the tax. These are the rules. If I can vote for less tax on these sinful items. . . yes I am there.

What is SP? I failed acronym class . . .

Also, I am not sure I would trust a shipment of cigars to an envelope, even the bubble wrap ones.
Never had a problem with their cigars in envelopes. Smoking pipes normally packages pretty well. Then again, if something gets damaged, my orders are small enough that I don’t lose any sleep.

Top Bottom