What's new

Newb question

Hi guys I'm a new Wet Shaver and had a question. I've been using a Merkur Future with Israeli Personnas. I've played around with settings and number 6 really seems to be the sweet spot for me and I'm trying to figure out why. On number 6 I don't have to think about angles my hand seems to go to whatever position that is. I'm wondering if having more of the blade exposed makes the angle more forgiving? Or am I just a aggressive razor guy? Also I've never understood the whole hot shave thing. For me hot shaving makes me feel the blade more and I get more irritation. When using cold water I get a much closer shave with allot less work. Another thing I've seen allot of stuff on the net recommending how often you should replace the blade. Not sure if it's the blade quality or something else but one blade easily lasts me a week. After my shave I pull the blade and flip it. Anyways this post is getting a little long so ill end here. Thanks guys!

Mike

Hello Mike, welcome to B&B.

Having more blade exposure will offer you a wider range of effective shaving angles, which means you can choose between shallow, steep and pretty much everything in between and the razor will still be efficient.

That's the biggest advantage of aggressive razors like the Futur, R41, etc ... IMHO, with these razors (aggressive razors, not the Futur in particular as I have no experience with it), steeper angles work better. Many others still prefer the shallow angles even if they're using an aggressive razor, so it's a YMMV thing and you have to go with what works on your face.

As for the temperature of the water, I get good results with both cold and hot water. Irritation is damaged skin, which usually is caused by too much pressure or incorrect blade angle. Might have something to do with temperature of the water, but not in my experience.

The blades, they're too cheap so I bin them after 3 or 4 shaves. One week is perfectly reasonable though and I'm sure many others here do the same.

And then there's these guys ...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/448783-128-shaves-on-a-NOS-Wilkinson-blade

Good luck!

Hello Mike, welcome to B&B.

Having more blade exposure will offer you a wider range of effective shaving angles, which means you can choose between shallow, steep and pretty much everything in between and the razor will still be efficient.

That's the biggest advantage of aggressive razors like the Futur, R41, etc ... IMHO, with these razors (aggressive razors, not the Futur in particular as I have no experience with it), steeper angles work better. Many others still prefer the shallow angles even if they're using an aggressive razor, so it's a YMMV thing and you have to go with what works on your face.

As for the temperature of the water, I get good results with both cold and hot water. Irritation is damaged skin, which usually is caused by too much pressure or incorrect blade angle. Might have something to do with temperature of the water, but not in my experience.

The blades, they're too cheap so I bin them after 3 or 4 shaves. One week is perfectly reasonable though and I'm sure many others here do the same.

And then there's these guys ...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/448783-128-shaves-on-a-NOS-Wilkinson-blade

Good luck!

Impeccable advice from Edgar. Two things. First, welcome to B&B. Second, there is no need to flip your blade.

Welcome to B&B ,
There is really no need to flip the blade, but if it works for you, go with it. As far as blade longevity. Everyone will have a different opinion. Some change after one or two uses, others can get a month out of a blade. It is a personal thing. When the shave starts to get uncomfortable change the blade. I personally like the more aggressive / efficient razors. I get a closer shave with less effort. Cool water helps too. Again that is a subject that you will get a lot of different opinions on. Best advice would be to read the threads on techniques and experiment. When you find what works for you stick with it. Just try not to change to many variables at one time and don't drive yourself crazy chasing a BBS shave.

Enjoy the shave.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Mike; Welcome to B&B! Use a blade as long as you see fit; There's no rule about it and it varies with each of us. Just always do what's enjoyable and comfortable for you.

I flipped blades at one point in time but no longer do so, having found no noticeable benefit to doing so.

Some people use a blade once and toss it, some use it for dozens of times. I find I can get at least 7 comfortable shaves from any quality brand blade if I'm doing prep and lather correctly. You may get more or less than that, depending.

Though I've collected a few adjustables, my daily shavers are non-adjustable. I guess I'm just finding out I prefer the simplicity of one pre-set and working with it rather than adjusting back and forth.

Welcome to B&B! Glad to have you here! Good advice from the others for you, and if you have any more questions, ask away!

Top Bottom