What's new

Newb checkin

Thanks for all the words of welcome. Since joining I have added some new gear to my MerkHD, '62 slim adjustable, and my grandfather's old Ever ready 1008 badger with thinning hair, which I used for years with ordinary bar soap and disposable trac II. I now have a 52 super speed which looks like new, an RR plissoft, and most importantly, some WSC Rustic actual shaving soap and some Prorasso preshave cream. I'm working my way through a blade sample pack. I also started off with 100 Feather blades after seeing that brand mentioned often, but found them a bit terrifying for my newb skill level, and ordered 100 Astra SPs, which are a little less risky. I also stumbled across the Excalibur thread and have read through much of it. The idea of stretching blade life appeals to the experimental as well as the thrifty aspects of my nature. My shaves are slowly improving, and the blood loss is much diminished. If I spend the time (I'm retired) I can always get a shave that feels very smooth stroking with the grain and even across the grain but still feeling some short stubble stroking against the grain. The exception is my mustache area which I have not learned how to shave safely or effectively against the grain, so that stubble is longer. Apparently those whiskers are tougher. I'm not sure where to address future posts. My main interest for the time being is to improve my skills, safety, and shave quality before the gearhead in me goes wild collecting razors, brushes, soaps, etc. I've learned a lot already from every thread I've followed. It all started just a few weeks ago when I became disgusted with disposables and googled "what's the best de safety razor?" I should have known there would be a worldwide cult to answer that question. I'm happy to be part of it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Greetings one and all. I just returned to double edge shaving for the first time in almost 60 years.
This is my first membership and post in any chat room, so apologies in advance for any faux pas. I've been consulting this site for several weeks and have already learned a great deal. There is so much good will here I'm sure I can trust that my inevitable chat room blunders will be corrected.
I started off with a Merkur 34C, then found this site and ordered a 62 slim adjustable. It arrived with some issues, but fortunately I found some posts recommending Chris Spencer at Backroads Gold. The slim arrived back from him today with all issues set aright. The slim and Chris are just two excellent leads I've already found at badger and blade.
With retirement and now two plus years of covid there's been at times and excess of solitude, so thank you all for having an open door. If I can survive the initial loss of blood, I look forward to being here.
Do not be shy my friend! Jump in. We are a friendly bunch.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Top Bottom