What's new

New York Shaving Company

I just got in an order I placed with them last week or so and decided to give it a spin tonight.

In the shipment I received:
Tonsorial Shaving Cream
Elizabeth St Shaving Cream
and 1 Mariner short handle safety razor.

Tonight I chose the Tonsorial and loaded the Mariner with a Med Prep.

My first impression of the cream is that it's soft. Very soft. Fragrance is nice and not too strong. I was a bit worried about what kind of lather it was going to produce since the jar says it can be used with or without a brush, but it lathered up fine in my mug with a silvertip brush.

On the skin it felt pretty good at first, creamy and moist. After a bit it started to burn some, but I'm not sure if that was due to the new razor. It's plenty slick and has pretty good cushion. Overall, not a bad experience.

Now for the razor. Out of the box, it doesn't look like it's made all THAT well. Not sure what the base plate is made from but it looks pretty cheap. The knurling on the handle gave it a good grip and it's actually pretty heavy. Decent balance. Fair mount of blade gap on the head too. Being the owner of 2 r41s I can say it's not the most aggressive razor that I own, but it's up there.

As for the actual shave, I made about 1 and a half passes before I put it down and finished with my slant. It just didn't feel like it was going to end well.

So I guess to sum up, I like the cream, not so much on the razor but at 35$ it wasn't a huge loss and I can always gift it to someone later. Next shave (in a couple of days) I'll use the Elizabeth St cream and I'll be back here to post thoughts on it.

The only thing keeping me from trying their line of shave cream is that I've read so many reviews of their cream burning/irritating people's faces.

The only thing keeping me from trying their line of shave cream is that I've read so many reviews of their cream burning/irritating people's faces.

I had the same burning experience. I pif'd it away. Alot of creams seem to burn so I like to stay with soaps.

So it was definitely not as aggressive as the R41?

Definitely not. Not too far from it, but definitely not as aggressive.

I had the same burning experience. I pif'd it away. Alot of creams seem to burn so I like to stay with soaps.

I had burning with the Tonsorial, but again, my skin may have already been a bit irritated from the Mariner. I didn't have any burn at all from the Elizabeth Street cream this evening. It was a thoroughly enjoyable shave and the frag pairs well with Proraso AS splash.

Top Bottom