What's new

new Yaqi adjustable soon

There will ne son a new Yaqi ajustable razor.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Just what the world needs, another replica. It may be of interest to Gibbs owners if that base plate could be used with the original to allow regular blades to be used although I see a member has already made something silimar. To be honest it is so easy to punch a regular blade it is probably not worth it. Looks to be a very reasonable price, almost too cheap. I wonder if the balance is the same as the Gibbs which I find rather head heavy👍

Just what the world needs, another replica. It may be of interest to Gibbs owners if that base plate could be used with the original to allow regular blades to be used although I see a member has already made something silimar. To be honest it is so easy to punch a regular blade it is probably not worth it. Looks to be a very reasonable price, almost too cheap. I wonder if the balance is the same as the Gibbs which I find rather head heavy[emoji106]
The Gibbs is head heavy because of the plastic sleeve (which the Clouds mods fix). This shouldn't be.

If it uses the existing Yaqi head as starting point the geometry will be different from the Gibbs

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Just what the world needs, another replica. It may be of interest to Gibbs owners if that base plate could be used with the original to allow regular blades to be used although I see a member has already made something silimar. To be honest it is so easy to punch a regular blade it is probably not worth it. Looks to be a very reasonable price, almost too cheap. I wonder if the balance is the same as the Gibbs which I find rather head heavy👍
I'm amazed at that price point too. It's within the range of their other razors. Most of the reviews on Yaqi that I've read don't complain about fit & finish, so that would be something if it's rolled out at that price.

I’m still waiting for the Heritage Collection version. This looks similar in the way they solved the blade issue but the baseplate is different than that of the Heritage Collection. This is a good thing.

I like the classic look of the Heritage version more from pictures, especially the handle but I will keep an open mind with this razor. If some of these parts are interchangeable with the original Gibbs, I’d be interested in the spare parts alone for that price. I’d like to see that handle in black. When we find out what it is made from maybe I could have that remedied.

This looks like a nice razor though and for that price, wow. If it shaves close to the original, the razor would make big waves. The Heritage Collection razor appears to have brass threads from the pictures on their website, would be a home run if this one had brass threads also.

I’ve wondered for a while while no one has made a more affordable non stainless offering of the Gibbs. Now there appears to be 2 coming out shortly. Let’s hope for the best Gibbs lovers.

If it is the right fit, you would either have to modify the original Gibbs cap or just use the Yaqi cap and blade tray and drill holes in the original Gibbs baseplate. Again, if it fits.

As a Gibbs owner, if I found the Yaqi to be a poor shave, I’d be interested in the handle, adjustment dial, the spring and possibly the knob for parts. Making something this close, I’m surprised they just didn’t do a flat out copy. I give them some points for the pics so far. Definitely interested.

Is that a clone of the rex ambassador? Sure looks like one.
It looks a lot like a French Gibbs razor to me...

gibbs-1.jpg

It's basically a 1936 design. Razor Emporium did a very nice job of tweaking it with much improved materials and ergonomics. The Rex I'm sure will remain in a different league from any $30 version.

proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I just learned via Instagram that it appears that Heritage Collection Shaving basically got the rug pulled out from beneath them on their Gibbs replica design. I thought the Yaqi was similar, except for the obvious Gibbs connection but it appears Heritage Collection got cut off when the middle man overseas allowed what was learned to be the manufacturer, Yaqi take the basic design submitted by HCS and stick their baseplate and handle on it. This is basically how I understand it.

I think HCS is looking to get a new manufacturer which to me is a real shame. Obviously the original design is Gibbs, but the mods made for blades and new design submission was all HCS. If this turns out to be true, sounds eerily similar to what happened to Vikings Blade when they submitted their design which was snatched up. Also if true, I won’t buy this razor even if it goes for as low as $30 and will wait on HCS.

Top Bottom