What's new

new Yaqi adjustable soon

What was the ASR acquisition?
American Safety Razor Co. purchase of the Pal Blade Company, its UK and Canadian subsidiaries and Treet and Personna brands in summer 1953.

Here is an ad dated April 53, three months prior to the sale of the company to ASR.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
Actually though, the Personna says made in Britain on the head, so it must have been made under license there by Pal. A lot of trouble for a short lived issue if so.
proxy.php

R

romsitsa

Actually though, the Personna says made in Britain on the head, so it must have been made under license there by Pal. A lot of trouble for a short lived issue if so.
proxy.php

I’m not sure what was required back then to mark something made in Britain, maybe local assembly was enough. Like the made in England Single rings when there was no production in England.
The Palmera, on the other hand, looks pretty crude, so it could well be that both factories bought the licence from Gibbs.

Adam

China's manufacturing costs are incredibly low so the price of less than 50 dollars with good finish and even full adjustability doesn't surprise me. Which is why I find the very high prices of some US brands that are in fact made in china to be beyond acceptability - even beyond $100 and sometimes multiples of $100!
Agreed. And those US brands, at those prices, could be made in the USA. I thought the original Yaqi price was suspiciously low even by Chinese marketing/manufacturing standards. I note the price now says $36.00 - which I expect to be raised again before they actually bring it to market.

I'm interested to know the material. Surely it's not SS, right?
For $30, China made, and adjustable it will be without a doubt all Zamac!! It is truly a shame what happened to HSC but it pays to know exactly who your doing business with nowadays...just ask Rod @ Stirling!!

The Gibbs is head heavy because of the plastic sleeve (which the Clouds mods fix). This shouldn't be.
There's metal Gibbs as well, the 17 is not head heavy at all.

I’m still waiting for the Heritage Collection version. This looks similar in the way they solved the blade issue but the baseplate is different than that of the Heritage Collection. This is a good thing.
They took the HCS mods and then stopped working with/for HCS. See earlier in the thread. Rather ratty hing to do if you ask me.

There's metal Gibbs as well, the 17 is not head heavy at all.

They took the HCS mods and then stopped working with/for HCS. See earlier in the thread. Rather ratty hing to do if you ask me.

Right, I posted that message before yesterday and posted thereafter about what happened to HCS on this and another thread. See above.

I also contacted HCS yesterday and he is still moving forward. I applaud his attempts to recreate the look and feel of the Gibbs using standard blades. Regardless of any influences by others that had a relationship with Gibbs back in the day (As mentioned by others here regarding the Palmera and of course, the Micrometric), he worked hard to bring this to fruition. I first saw the Palmera yesterday and the design is very close but at the end of the day it is still a Gibbs that can accept standard blades via cap posts, to me anyway. As you know, the Micrometric put the posts on the plate and adjusted the cap to fit. Two good solutions, but to me, they are both Gibbs at heart, just modified, just like HCS was trying to recreate.

I’m going to wait for his razor. I just don’t like what happened to HCS here. I don’t fault anyone for buying the Yaqi, I’m just not going to purchase it.

I’d like to add that I hope he is able to get it done in all brass or maybe aluminum like his handle was going to be. To me, that would be terrific. Titanium would be amazing but very costly of course.

I’d like to add that I hope he is able to get it done in all brass or maybe aluminum like his handle was going to be. To me, that would be terrific. Titanium would be amazing but very costly of course.
Is there any confirmation on the materials?

I thought it would probably be zamak

Is there any confirmation on the materials?

I thought it would probably be zamak

I don’t know about the Yaqi release, but HCS had only released a few material details about his version pending the final prototype. The handle was to be aluminum. From the pictures on the HCS website, the threads appear to be brass but other than those parts, I’m not sure about the others. The blade tray appeared to be aluminum also but that is just a guess on my part as it matched the look of the matte handle. 3 handles in black, polished and matte aluminum. Like I mentioned previously, an all aluminum razor would interest me. His new manufacturer will fill him in from there. Never tried the Gibbs in aluminum but many love that version also.

My only experience is with brass. The balance point is on the dial, but have never found it head heavy but obviously the head is more weighted than the handle.

I like the look and durability of Claudio’s handles and will probably get one down the road but find the shave incredible with my plastic handles. Users tend to prefer his handles with the brass.

In my rotation, the top second and third shavers for me are the Super 84 (Alternates with my Old Type between first and second every month) and the Gibbs respectively. Interestingly, both the Super 84 and brass Gibbs are seen as head heavy by users. The Super 84 has the pre-nylon baseplate.

Again there is a weight difference with the aluminum handle but it still balances perfectly at the dial. I’ve wondered for quite some time if the more weighty heads improve performance for me with my technique. More recently I saw this with the purchases of the Gillette Heritage and KCG. I seem to do better with the much lighter Heritage handle with the shave. I switched handles and had the same result with the KCG.

An all aluminum version, if it’s feasible nowadays with the Gibbs in mind respective to cost might balance very nicely and make everyone happy.

This is why the’m buying a Taiga when they’re back in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed the Taiga for about a year, fell in love with the prototype and had my wallet waiting to order. The looks of the final version of the razor though just didn’t do it for me. I liked the classic Gibbs look of the prototype and they changed it last minute. If they change it back, I’m going to get one. From everything I’ve read, it’s an incredibly well made razor, great shaver and those 2 plates are an awesome idea.

Top Bottom