What's new

New, with questions!

Hi there -

I'm relatively new to the wetshaving thing, having been badgered into it by a co-worker and I havent looked back! I've had a great experience from the start with a Merkur HD and Merkur blades (Israelli's didnt do it for me).

The questions/problems are:

1. I have large hands and want a razor that has the heft/weight/head of the Merkur but with a much more substantial handle in terms of weight & length (the Merkur long handle is just too thin I think).

2. I started off with smooth shaves, no irriation or cuts, but lately that hasnt been the case. Im changing blades frequently (every 3 shaves at least) and obeying all the many rules and regulations I've read on here! Am I just getting too confident and sloppy?

Any suggestions?

jmathew said:
Hi there -

I'm relatively new to the wetshaving thing, having been badgered into it by a co-worker and I havent looked back! I've had a great experience from the start with a Merkur HD and Merkur blades (Israelli's didnt do it for me).

The questions/problems are:

1. I have large hands and want a razor that has the heft/weight/head of the Merkur but with a much more substantial handle in terms of weight & length (the Merkur long handle is just too thin I think).

2. I started off with smooth shaves, no irriation or cuts, but lately that hasnt been the case. Im changing blades frequently (every 3 shaves at least) and obeying all the many rules and regulations I've read on here! Am I just getting too confident and sloppy?

Any suggestions?
Perhaps this razor could be what you are looking for.

To provide any insight into your shave, details on your prep, equipment, and procedure will be helpful.

Forgive me for being rude...Welcome to B&B.

If you like larger razors, take a look at the Merkur Futur (or Vision). As for changing blades so often, it is more likely insufficient prep causing you to believe it is the blade' fault. If you post more details, I am sure we can help you out.

Welcome!

Ooooh I like that razor....

The usual process is:
-shower (warm to hot)
-usually proraso with a silvertip brush. Proraso seems to be the best - Ive tried some samples from Scotto and a couple seem to be a bit "drying" - dont remember exactly which, but do know that Avacodo wasnt one of them.
-N->S passes, gentle SE->NW passes and the occasional against the grain when I need a reallllly close shave. The irritation seems to be mostly around the chin, which takes many frequent passes.
-As for "aftershave" - I've been using Oil of Olay for years believe it or not, tried it by accident when it was the only thing available off my wife's side - and I love it, not greasy, soothing etc. I've tried the Proraso aftershave cream and love that as well (you can tell I've been to Target).

Here's a picture from Ron.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was all for trying the Futur or Vision or whatever....but have basically been scared off by reading alot of the posts and deciding that I just "wasnt ready" for an adjustable....

Hmmm. I hear you on the chin - that is my most difficult area as well. My advice is "less is more" for a while to get your skin back in shape and figure out what really works for you.

Some random thoughts:
  • I am not sure which way your beard runs, but perhaps try a pure across-grain pass after going N-S. By this I mean ear-centerline. I would avoid against the grain completely until you figure out what is causing the irritation.
  • Are you using a cold water rinse after finishing shaving?
  • Take your time lathering up to get things nice and soft. You might also try a warm washcloth in the shower to soak that beard well
  • I assume you are rinsing with warm water and re-lathering betweem passes...

I have super-thick chin whiskers and it has been a bear over time to find something that gets me close without causing irritation. Here is how I do my chin area:
With 1st pass, I do straight down
With 2nd pass, I do an angled cut from edge of mouth to center of chin on each side
With 3rd pass I do a lateral cut from outside of chin area to center of chin
(With all of these I contort my chin to get things flat and the most whislers exposed)
At this point I'll stop and debate whether going against the grain is worth it.​

My chin whiskers are some sort of composite metal....I've tried going straight down N->S with HORRIBLE tugging/pulling. With my old sensor, it was the EASIEST place to shave with simple against the grain aggressive strokes without real problems (I've even considered bringing it back just for the chin). I am NOT rinsing & relathering...and I do the chin last....hmmm, perhaps thats the issue?

I cant believe Im asking shaving questions...do any of you feel that way, or does it just overtake you after a while? Maybe a teethbrushing board/forum is next....

jmathew said:

Any suggestions?

I've also hit a number of "plateaus" after having good success for a long time--it just happens from time to time. Hang in there and switch 1 thing at a time in your routine--blade angle, cream, razor, prep routine, etc. See what happens, and keep remembering how much better your shaves are now, even in a plateau, than they were before.:biggrin:

Is it just me? Everytime I see A Merkur Vision I think of the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and the Giant Robot "Gort" "Klaatu Barada Nikto" :w00t:

cooncatbob said:
Is it just me? Everytime I see A Merkur Vision I think of the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and the Giant Robot "Gort" "Klaatu Barada Nikto" :w00t:

"to Infinity, and beyond!" That's what I think of when I see the Vision.

JMathew,

Two things. First, forget about N-S, S-N, E-W, whatever. You need to focus on "with the grain", "across the grain", and "against the grain". Be sure that you understand the direction in which your beard grows. I shave downward to the jawline, but under the chin and jawline, my beard grows in different directions. Also, are you stretching your skin? Learning to properly stretch my skin eliminated all irritation that I had on my neckline.

Randy

jmathew said:
My chin whiskers are some sort of composite metal....I've tried going straight down N->S with HORRIBLE tugging/pulling. With my old sensor, it was the EASIEST place to shave with simple against the grain aggressive strokes without real problems (I've even considered bringing it back just for the chin). I am NOT rinsing & relathering...and I do the chin last....hmmm, perhaps thats the issue?

I cant believe Im asking shaving questions...do any of you feel that way, or does it just overtake you after a while? Maybe a teethbrushing board/forum is next....
If you can't go N-S without pulling, I would guess your razor angle is wrong as well, and you are scraping instead of cutting. Make sure to get that handle as parallel to the floor as you can while still cutting. You might want to explore other blades, like Derbys, as well.

Ive always been confused about the handle parallel to the floor part....when that happens, the only part touching my skin is the rounded head of the razor, the blade isnt even close. Am I not understanding this part?

Should I be tightening the Merkur to the point of no resistance, where the razor blade "bows" or should I try to keep it flat?

If you start out with the handle paralell and then rotate it down until it starts cutting...people will say approx 30 degrees. This position allows the blade to slice through the whiskers instead of scraping which causes irritation. If you are used to a cartridge style razor then the handle runs more parallel to your face. This is why people say keep the handle up on a DE.

As for the blade...just screw the knob on the bottom until it is tight...the blade will conform to the top piece of the razor. I am assuming you weren't shaving with this loose?

Make sure you Prep properly - Wet Shaving - the clue is in the name...., the face needs to be wet, the lather needs to be as wet as possible, just so that it doesn't start dripping on your face.

Too much cream, too little water & the razor will drag and cut.

Regards
John

PS An adjustable is not a 'step-up', more of a step sideways at best.:smile:

jmathew said:
Ive always been confused about the handle parallel to the floor part....when that happens, the only part touching my skin is the rounded head of the razor, the blade isnt even close. Am I not understanding this part?

Should I be tightening the Merkur to the point of no resistance, where the razor blade "bows" or should I try to keep it flat?
You got a good answer from Bob O aka... already. The "handle up" line is to remind people that unlike a cartridge razor, the blade on a DE is perpendicular to the handle. Thus, tilting the handle up as much as you can while still cutting whiskers is a good position in that it provides slicing action instead of scraping. Focus on this on your chin area, along with zero pressure, and see how it works out.

BTW - tighten that razor up all the way! No loose blades, please....

Top Bottom