What's new

New wet shaver

after a couple of decades of shaving with an electric shaver, I've started wet shaving.

On the start of a month-long holiday, my battery powered travel shaver died so I picked up some cheap disposable BIC razors. Following this, I noticed that I preferred manual shaving over electric.

On my return, I research, and picked up a Muhle r89, Astra blades, Cella soap and a cheapo frank brush.

I followed the first YouTube 'how-to' lather and it didn't work out well. The second YouTube how-to was more detailed and emphasised the loading of the brush in the soap pot. Needless to say, it worked following this method.

No nicks, no cuts and no razor burn. I'm a happy chap.

One thing I noticed is that when I rotate my brush clockwise the lather builds, but when I rotate the brush counter-clockwise it defeats the lather. I examined the brush and noticed that one side is firm and the other not so firm. I suppose this inconsistency is causing the problem.

So my question is whether I should be looking for a firm brush or a soft brush?

Welcome to the B&B forums. Brushes are dependent on individual preferences. I like a brush with a bit of backbone. However, others may prefer a more floppy brush.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Welcome aboard! Difficult to answer your question. For me (100% face lather) a brush with more backbone is the ticket!

Welcome to B&B. You have started with some great equipment.
Your brush problem is confusing. I have never come across that problem.
Don't worry about hard or soft brushes. I have used hard and soft brushes and adapt my technique to the brush in use.

If you're using soap you'll need some backbone in the brush. Creams, less so.

I started with Cella, amongst others, and noticed it needed watering to become the lather monster that it soon becomes. If it's not producing the lather required out the door, put a table spoon of hot water on the puck before you take a shower to loosen it up.
Welcome aboard!

Thanks everyone. And thanks Dombangers, I took your advice and this morning added more water when lathering. It seemed counter intuitive, but it helped.

Following the shave, my skin felt a bit dry so I rummaged around and found some old Nivea moisturiser. It helped, but it leaves a greasy feeling to touch. Can someone recommend me something to put on my face post shave?

Welcome friend! Do you need to exfoliate, heavy beard, or like the scratchy feeling? Firm brush. Have sensitive skin or getting a rash from a boar? Soft brush. I started with a soft Razorock 24mm synthetic and added a Semogue 610 super backbone and couldn't be happier. Total cost, about $30.

Best, JM

Top Bottom