What's new

New wedge blade safety razor

I have had a thought in the back of my mind for several years now. Wedge blade razors are my favorite safety razors by a fair amount. I have been lucky to find 8 or so different types of wedge razors. Unfortunately almost none of them ever had a salvageable blade. Over the past few years I have accumulated maybe a dozen good blades.

Enter the Rolls Razor. A wedge on a stick as some call it. These are very plentiful and the wedges are almost always in good shape. The problem with the Rolls blade. It is much thicker than the normal wedge. So they do not fit any safety razor that I am aware of.

While checking out Ebay earlier this week. I came across a Fox wedge safety razor. It really caught my interest. So I was able to find the patent for it. So a few hours of reverse engineering and adaptation. I arrived at The New Fox. A wedge blade safety razor that takes the relatively easy to find Rolls razor. It will be all brass. Fully machined unfortunately. I would have liked to make it stamped or formed sheet brass. Machining is much faster for a prototype.

I am mostly done machining the first prototype. Tomorrow I should have it complete. I will post real pictures then. Anyhow here are a few of the inception creations. There are a few variations to these compared to the prototype.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

dangerousrazor

I bid on the auction mentioned and lost. I am a fan of Fox razor and I've never thought a modern version it would come out. Hope to see the real razor soon and I believe it will shave amazingly like your previous creations!!! :)

Way to nice to shave with. Great project

Do you anyone who could use one of these 3D printers and make some in a tough resin or alloy?

I reckon most SE guys would had a go at shaving with something like this. You're on the cusp of a niche market here at B&B. It's great to see innovation.

Last edited:
A modern wedge razor sounds incredibly appealing. I'd buy something like this. IMO wedges are more interesting than straights, and would like to get into them one day.

Great work. I will be following this.

Can you explain the adjustability?

Ok. Here are a few pictures. With the handle removed. That exposes a screw that pushes up on the pivot plate. This supports the blade. At the front where it pivots, the blade rests there. Keeping a constant blade gap. When you dial the screw up. It pushes the back of the pivot higher. Decreasing the gap for the blade to fit. By doing this. It restricts how far the blade can move forward.

Hence the adjustability. The pivot is designed to have some spring to it. This along with the back securing screw locks the blade into position.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

A few more pictures. I will be honing my 2 blades up this weekend for the maiden shave Sunday evening.

One picture I am trying to show the balance point. Also the weight with blade and s few other angles.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

One more. Size comparison to a Kampfe 1896
proxy.php

D

dangerousrazor

A few more pictures. I will be honing my 2 blades up this weekend for the maiden shave Sunday evening.

One picture I am trying to show the balance point. Also the weight with blade and s few other angles.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

One more. Size comparison to a Kampfe 1896
proxy.php

Another great addition to your already fantastic creations! I love the elegant, beautiful art deco design of original Fox razor. but I also love simple, industrial look of your razor!

You should let us know how it shaves!! :)

Made a few more changes. Getting close to the finished razor. I made a brass and wood handle on Monday. It was too light. The razor was head heavy. So today a made a second handle with more brass. It worked out fine. I also decided to not let the first handle go to waste. I made a Stropping handle out of it. This way I can use a real strop on the blades.
Edit:
Sorry don’t know why the pictures load backwards. Last picture is the first handle. I turned that into the Stropping handle.
FEDD879B-2C95-4044-B98D-3F23C6BCF631.jpeg
1C948249-92D1-4E31-B9C2-D0426728DFAB.jpeg
9B8CAA10-4909-4BE2-BB96-1C4CC2DB4FE8.jpeg
23BBE0F5-8238-4CA0-B6D0-EFEE908AA280.jpeg

D

dangerousrazor

Made a few more changes. Getting close to the finished razor. I made a brass and wood handle on Monday. It was too light. The razor was head heavy. So today a made a second handle with more brass. It worked out fine. I also decided to not let the first handle go to waste. I made a Stropping handle out of it. This way I can use a real strop on the blades.
Edit:
Sorry don’t know why the pictures load backwards. Last picture is the first handle. I turned that into the Stropping handle.
View attachment 1158733View attachment 1158734View attachment 1158735View attachment 1158736

The wooden handle is more appealing aesthetically than your original brass handle!! and it adds more authetic wedge blade razor feel to it!! I really love the look! Congratulations on your another successful creation and thanks for sharing the pics!! :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Job well done Tom, Have you ever seen adjustable blade stops on a lather catcher from the glory days. I think the handle brings a nice eye candy to the new creation also.

Top Bottom