What's new

New vs Old Adjustable shave comparison: Rex Ambassador vs Vintage Gibbs # 17

The Rex interests me simply for the fact that it's U.S made and stainless. My grandkids could theoretically use it because it would last. But with all of the alignment issues I've read about there's no way I'd drop $250 on one. For that kinda scratch it had better be perfect.
I'd get a signed affadavit from your progeny that they'll accept your generosity before laying out $250 because grandkids real or imagined could theoretically have the slightest interest in your wacky hobby....(I'd like a Rex though).

Well we're using somebody's grandfather's Gibbs/Apollo/Merkur razors which sure ain't stainless steel..not bullet proof but they can hold up though the Gibbs does have a couple of problem areas (spring and adjustment dial).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Rex interests me simply for the fact that it's U.S made and stainless. My grandkids could theoretically use it because it would last. But with all of the alignment issues I've read about there's no way I'd drop $250 on one. For that kinda scratch it had better be perfect.
I agree it has fit, finish and alignment issues that need to be corrected in the next batch.

I'd get a signed affadavit from your progeny that they'll accept your generosity before laying out $250 because grandkids real or imagined could theoretically have the slightest interest in your wacky hobby....(I'd like a Rex though).

Well we're using somebody's grandfather's Gibbs/Apollo/Merkur razors which sure ain't stainless steel..not bullet proof but they can hold up though the Gibbs does have a couple of problem areas (spring and adjustment dial).

I hear what your say but honestly I’ve got 5 Gibbs Adjustables and I’ve only had an issue with one where whoever had it before me didn’t align the dial numbers properly. Probably happened when that person tried taking it apart for a cleaning and couldn’t figure out how to put it back together correctly.
Love how they shave!

You finally got it! Congrats and now that you’ve got the right hole punch it will be a breeze to madify a blade. A little tip. Use a ruler and a marker to line up a dot which will be visable through the top of hole punch.

Happy shaves Amigo!
:a17:

Thanks Frank, good advice as always! I really look forward to trying it on when I return from travelling. May need your advice though just to check that the Gibbs is set up right. I don’t have the razor in hand right now but it seems like all tightened up it does not have its marker hitting setting ‘1’. Which would seem like the logic thing? - So maybe seller assembled it wrong... Will revert!

Thanks Frank, good advice as always! I really look forward to trying it on when I return from travelling. May need your advice though just to check that the Gibbs is set up right. I don’t have the razor in hand right now but it seems like all tightened up it does not have its marker hitting setting ‘1’. Which would seem like the logic thing? - So maybe seller assembled it wrong... Will revert!
Ok get in touch with me when you have it in hand. Message me and I’ll give you my phone number.
Take care!

I hear what your say but honestly I’ve got 5 Gibbs Adjustables and I’ve only had an issue with one where whoever had it before me didn’t align the dial numbers properly. Probably happened when that person tried taking it apart for a cleaning and couldn’t figure out how to put it back together correctly.
Love how they shave!
I see quite a few online where the seller or prior owner has broken the adjustment dial, I have one like that, I also have another missing a spring which from photos on the French forum are rust candidates. The plastic sleeve of course will crack if you twist it if the works are jammed up. Now I think if you're careful with them they'll soldier on just fine.

I see quite a few online where the seller or prior owner has broken the adjustment dial, I have one like that, I also have another missing a spring which from photos on the French forum are rust candidates. Now I think if you're careful with them they'll soldier on just fine.

I completely agree. I’ve taken two apart and fixed the dial numbers alignment and cleaned the springs. One I gave away and the other came out so good it’s at Frugal Shave for a new custom handle and then I’m having North Shore do a gun coating on it.
I’ve got 2 NOS and one Mint in the box and one that’s in nice shape I use in my rotation. There was a very nice uncased one on the UK eBay that sold for about $145 US Dollars so prices seem to be going up on these lately. I’ve had my best luck getting them from France.
Still looking for the very rare all solid brass version.

I see quite a few online where the seller or prior owner has broken the adjustment dial, I have one like that, I also have another missing a spring which from photos on the French forum are rust candidates. The plastic sleeve of course will crack if you twist it if the works are jammed up. Now I think if you're careful with them they'll soldier on just fine.

Oh and if your handle cracks send it to Aaron at Frugal Shave he can make you a new one for a very reasonable price.

Oh and if your handle cracks send it to Aaron at Frugal Shave he can make you a new one for a very reasonable price.
I may do that. Does Aaron do aluminum or other metals or just plastic? Been hoping for a nice metal sleeve for one of mine.

I may do that. Does Aaron do aluminum or other metals or just plastic? Been hoping for a nice metal sleeve for one of mine.

Yeah I'm not sure on any other material as he does 3D printing to create items and I believe they are all plastic. He has some other plastic that he said had a different feel to it as he's doing a custom insert on a case for me as well and suggested this other that feels like it has a velvet texture to it but I don't know if I'd want that for a razor handle. If I were you I'd get in touch with him and see if he works with any other materials to be sure. I did see a guy who made a metal sleeve for one on his. That was a while ago and I also saw one that a guy did in wood. Hey let me know how you make out.

Yeah I'm not sure on any other material as he does 3D printing to create items and I believe they are all plastic. He has some other plastic that he said had a different feel to it as he's doing a custom insert on a case for me as well and suggested this other that feels like it has a velvet texture to it but I don't know if I'd want that for a razor handle. If I were you I'd get in touch with him and see if he works with any other materials to be sure. I did see a guy who made a metal sleeve for one on his. That was a while ago and I also saw one that a guy did in wood. Hey let me know how you make out.
I shall. I know from visiting some 3d printing sites that using metals has become a lot more practical.

I shall. I know from visiting some 3d printing sites that using metals has become a lot more practical.

I think I'll message him as well as that would be nice to have a metal one also. Thanks for the info! :thumbup1:

E5E1C9B4-601B-46F7-A686-6433A6B0D4D5.jpeg
Last week I bed for Perssona Precision Micromatic and someone grabs it for almost 800 Euros
I saw that! It’s nuts. I was going to bid on it but had a feeling someone would come in high as they are very rare. I backed off when I saw bids going up. I’m very content with my Gibbs. Esentually the same razor.

Top Bottom