What's new

New vintage razor did I get ripped off?

They are kind of unique in their level of hollow and the steel. Apart from wostelholm shoulderless $3.00 razors, they are the only Sheffield hollows I really like.

They are kind of unique in their level of hollow and the steel. Apart from wostelholm shoulderless $3.00 razors, they are the only Sheffield hollows I really like.

I've heard this a lot. Must be true then, thanks for the info you have no clue how happy this makes me that it's not just a regular no big name razor. It's special great quality in my opinion. I can only compare it to my sight unseen stoobard and kendall that wasn't as shave ready as advertised. This guy I got it from is great talked to me for hours sent me the video if him honing it because I told him the last razor I got wasn't shave ready when he said it was.

It depends on a lot of factors, but if you consider that just honing goes for about $20, 55$ is a lot less than what you would pay for an entry level Dovo.
If you hunt the BST here, you'll sometimes find some cheaper ones, but not by much and the condition, size and brand might not be as desirable.
Overall, I think you got a pretty good deal.

Thanks I'm happy with my purchase.

As Marc said on average honing a razor is in the $15-$20 range so $50-$60 for a quality blade is a good bargain so shave, strop and repeat and when stropping won't cut get it honed but if you strop correctly a decent edge can last along while.

How long about I don't grow much hair and its very fine hair.

How long about I don't grow much hair and its very fine hair.
The first time might come earlier as we all make mistake stropping initially. But once you get the hang of it, if you only have fine hair, it might last a long time. Especially if you maintain using a linen cloth strop which is slightly more abrasive than leather. And once that does not work any longer, you can extend further using a Chromium Oxyde pasted strop.
I have coarse, Mediterranean thick hair and in over 3 years of straight shaving, I have not had to re-hone a razor I honed (granted, I don't have just one).

Will make a deal for the OP, if you roll the edge send it to me and I will hone for free and send it back to you free of charge, it's kind of a pay it forward thing for me as this is a great Forum.

Will make a deal for the OP, if you roll the edge send it to me and I will hone for free and send it back to you free of charge, it's kind of a pay it forward thing for me as this is a great Forum.

Really?!? Thanks very kind of you to help a beginner like me. I will be able to compare see if my razor was shave ready ill pm you when it needs to be done thank you so much.

The first time might come earlier as we all make mistake stropping initially. But once you get the hang of it, if you only have fine hair, it might last a long time. Especially if you maintain using a linen cloth strop which is slightly more abrasive than leather. And once that does not work any longer, you can extend further using a Chromium Oxyde pasted strop.
I have coarse, Mediterranean thick hair and in over 3 years of straight shaving, I have not had to re-hone a razor I honed (granted, I don't have just one).

That's great to know thanks

Top Bottom