What's new

New Vikings Blade Meiji Adjustable

I’m already familiar with the Emperor Augustus, a long handled version of this new release. I’m a big fan of the VB long handle. Although the adjustment is different geometry, the long handle’s head is remarkably similar to the Gillette TTOs from the early 60s until late 80s. If you have a Slim or any SA, you see the resemblance immediately and the head size is also the same. The long handle’s neck also resembles the look of the nylon baseplates on those later SAs. I found the shave with the Emperor long handle to be closer to the Variant than the Gillette’s. Very nice shave and a solid, well built razor. It is heavier than most, but if you have a rotation that includes stainless, the weight won’t bother you. Although a great addition, many asked about the release of a short handle.

Received the short handle Meiji today and my first thought was this is a gorgeous razor. I loved the cognac color of the long handle but this new color is really nice and I think it was a great choice. I wouldn’t exactly call it grey but it isn’t pewter either, it has an almost refined, aged look to it. The bronze adjustment ring and silo doors appear to be the same but also look to be darker. This may be reflective more of the lighter pewter/greyish color in contrast to the brown cognac so I may be wrong about that.

I used old school scales to weigh my Rex and the Meiji. I found my N series Rex to be hovering in around 105 grams. The Meiji feels lighter in hand than my Rex but saw it came in at about 122 grams. Although a shorter handle on this new offering, the handle is still longer than the Rex. I think the stockiness of the Rex gives the allusion that it is heavier. Was surprised though.

Although it has some weight, the balance is terrific and it feels comfortable in the hand. Still love the long handle but I think I prefer the Meiji’s dimensions. Going back to Gillette similarities, the new knurling is quite close in appearance to the 195, minus those concentric rings. The overall look and feel just have me thinking about my 195, Slim and Super 84. I can only guess what Gillette plans in the future regarding any new Heritage release, but if they choose an adjustable, don’t produce them and buy an existing razor design like the Heritage/Mühle, this would be a great choice for a future Heritage series. Don’t want to assume too much and jump ahead but this Meiji really feels like a heavier Gillette to me.

First shave is tomorrow but I’m not expecting any real big differences, minus of course, balance and weight versus the long handle. As mentioned previously, the handle, silo doors, adjustment ring and knob and tray are brass. I assume the baseplate is zamack like the long handle. Not a big deal as the baseplate is not like threads on a 2 piece therefore wear should be a non issue.

Attachments

• 77966818-5FC4-44CE-8B0A-B0185B236E56.jpeg
    77966818-5FC4-44CE-8B0A-B0185B236E56.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
  • 4DA210AE-82C5-4B27-B950-D81B7705CBA2.jpeg
    4DA210AE-82C5-4B27-B950-D81B7705CBA2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 192
  • 60552315-B13C-416A-9CAF-682BFF53A763.jpeg
    60552315-B13C-416A-9CAF-682BFF53A763.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 203
  • E5688CF9-178D-4ACD-B303-50B4513737B9.jpeg
    E5688CF9-178D-4ACD-B303-50B4513737B9.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 206
  • D67439DD-3451-4587-8844-8739F3E96206.jpeg
    D67439DD-3451-4587-8844-8739F3E96206.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 209
  • 51CC3343-D222-4975-B157-B900C522CC18.jpeg
    51CC3343-D222-4975-B157-B900C522CC18.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211
I'm looking forward to your impressions. I've been thinking about picking this razor up. It is good looking & I really like adjustables so I'm hoping your feedback is positive.

I'm looking forward to your impressions. I've been thinking about picking this razor up. It is good looking & I really like adjustables so I'm hoping your feedback is positive.
It will depend what you prefer light or heavy razor
In my big hands it feels heavier than Rex and Parker Variant

Based on my experience with it’s bigger brother, I’m assuming the shave will go well. Wanted to shave tonight but still smooth from my Timeless 95 OC shave from this morning.

The long handle had good balance but the Meiji is better. The balance point is just below the adjustment ring. Started staying with Kai blades for the long handle but had more experience with the Lab Blue initially. Probably will drop in a Lab Blue tomorrow. Kai is almost a cheat, wider blade, more exposure so I’ll stay honest, at least to do a proper comparison.

It will depend what you prefer light or heavy razor
In my big hands it feels heavier than Rex and Parker Variant
I usually like 80 to 100 gram razors but I'm hoping the balance will make this razor feel right. I'm waiting for my preorder for the Rocnel Sailor which is 146g. Now that is a whopper.

I usually like 80 to 100 gram razors but I'm hoping the balance will make this razor feel right. I'm waiting for my preorder of Rocnel Sailor which is 146g. Now that is a whopper.

The Meiji isn’t light but it isn’t a brick either. I have plenty of stainless offerings so razor weight doesn’t faze me. Other people may feel differently. If a razor balances well, that’s all that matters to me personally. I feel you eventually get used to the weight of any razor you use. I have a rotation and I’m more careful not to go to extremes like using my stainless Timeless 95 OC after my aluminum Standard Razor. I remember once thinking my 195 felt like a disposable after using the Timeless Bronze.

I usually like 80 to 100 gram razors but I'm hoping the balance will make this razor feel right. I'm waiting for my preorder for the Rocnel Sailor which is 146g. Now that is a whopper.
According to the Amazon description it's 95 gram and this why I purchased it but it feels heavier than I thought it would be. After I complete testing the Rex, just 2 shaves left, I will try 3-4 shaves with Muiji using different blades before I decide what to do with it

According to the Amazon description it's 95 gram and this why I purchased it but it feels heavier than I thought it would be. After I complete testing the Rex, just 2 shaves left, I will try 3-4 shaves with Muiji using different blades before I decide what to do with it
Cool, I look forward to seeing your in-depth thoughts on it. It might be wrong for me too if the weight still feels too heavy even if the knurling & balanced are good. I might have to worry about the Rochnel purchase if the weight is still an issue. Especially when I'm trying to get comfortable atg passes. Sometimes a heavy razor with mild knurling feels like it might slip from my hand.

Just double checked Amazon, They list the weight of the Meiji at 124 grams. The length of the handle, bottom of head to handle listed as 95 mm.

I trust scales more than digital, so it should be 122 even. Rex is listed higher on RE, but I have 105 grams even. Augustus is listed at 134 grams but I have not used scales to double check the weight.

Just double checked Amazon, They list the weight of the Meiji at 124 grams. The length of the handle, bottom of head to handle listed as 95 mm.

I trust scales more than digital, so it should be 122 even. Rex is listed higher on RE, but I have 105 grams even. Augustus is listed at 134 grams but I have not used scales to double check the weight.
Thanks for correction
Now it makes sense that Parker Variant feels lighter since according to included instructions it weight 110 grams while having longer handle

Thanks for correction
Now it makes sense that Parker Variant feels lighter since according to included instructions it weight 110 grams while having longer handle

Right, 95 mm is just the total handle length.

I’m mainly used to the bulk of my modern razors weighing up into the 130s and beyond like my Timeless razors, etc. Most of the vintages and modern aluminums (Minus lead infused like my SBS) and titaniums are a lot lighter. I don’t think too much about something in the low 120s.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a lovely razor. Certainly slipped under my radar. Congratulations and looking forward to your review.

Proraso Red soap, RR Plissoft Brush and a fresh Lab Blue.

2 pass BBS like the long handle. Felt easier, more balanced in hand than long handle and a smooth, irritation free shave.

Going to keep using it through this week in the least before moving on in my rotation. Had a long lasting BBS Timeless shave yesterday in am so I will see if I can maintain that 2 pass BBS shave throughout the week.

Like it’s big brother, the main spring needs a slight break in period as adjustment is a little tight initially. It will loosen up as it did for me with the long handle over about a week. If you play with the adjustment and TTO before use, you would essentially break it in. TTO is perfect, just remember that the blade tray on these is set up so that if the blade goes in and is not flat on the tray, the silo doors won’t close, this is a safety feature. There is no quarter turn like Gillettes because there is no collett so treat the TTO like a Super Speed, Weishi or Parker, you don’t have to torque it, just go a few mms when it closes snug. The handle knurling lines up perfectly after tightening with the knurling of the adjustment knob, which I like, not needed but looks prettier regardless.

very nice

So I had my second shave with Meiji using GSB blade, which was used once during Rex Ambassador trial, and got very smooth shave, better than with Astra SS, but still less efficient than with Rex. Because of the substantial weight of razor there was a lot of blade feel and post shave face feel. If you prefer heavy, over 110 gram, you should definitely try Meiji
I will try a few more blades before making final decision

So I had my second shave with Meiji using GSB blade, which was used once during Rex Ambassador trial, and got very smooth shave, better than with Astra SS, but still less efficient than with Rex. Because of the substantial weight of razor there was a lot of blade feel and post shave face feel. If you prefer heavy, over 110 gram, you should definitely try Meiji
I will try a few more blades before making final decision

I wonder if you need to tighten the silo doors more after dropping in a blade. The post-shave feel you describe are similar to ones I’ve had with my vintage Gillettes when I didn’t fully tighten the TTO. This will affect the shave also. As I mentioned above, you don’t have to torque it but the blade needs to be secure. For my face, this is a very smooth razor. My Old Type, Gibbs and Super 84 are at the top of the list, but this is up there in my rotation.

I wonder if you need to tighten the silo doors more after dropping in a blade. The post-shave feel you describe are similar to ones I’ve had with my vintage Gillettes when I didn’t fully tighten the TTO. This will affect the shave also. As I mentioned above, you don’t have to torque it but the blade needs to be secure. For my face, this is a very smooth razor. My Old Type, Gibbs and Super 84 are at the top of the list, but this is up there in my rotation.
My blade is secure and I am always making sure that doors are closed properly and I completely agree that this is very smooth razor but it is just too heavy and I still want to try 3 more blades before making final decision

My blade is secure and I am always making sure that doors are closed properly and I completely agree that this is very smooth razor but it is just too heavy and I still want to try 3 more blades before making final decision

A couple of things you might try before giving up on the Meiji. Pay attention to which side of the razor you are using. I find the serrated side feels anywhere from one-half to one full dial number more aggressive than the smooth side. I use the smooth side on my neck since that is more tender than my face. Also, one of the advantages of having an adjustable razor is the ability to easily change settings in the middle of your shave. I dial it down on my neck, and dial it up on the sides of my face where the contours are flatter.

I don't think there is anything you can do about the weight though. I usually prefer lighter razors but the balance on the Meiji is outstanding, and I have gotten some really good shaves with it.

eric.

A couple of things you might try before giving up on the Meiji. Pay attention to which side of the razor you are using. I find the serrated side feels anywhere from one-half to one full dial number more aggressive than the smooth side. I use the smooth side on my neck since that is more tender than my face. Also, one of the advantages of having an adjustable razor is the ability to easily change settings in the middle of your shave. I dial it down on my neck, and dial it up on the sides of my face where the contours are flatter.

I don't think there is anything you can do about the weight though. I usually prefer lighter razors but the balance on the Meiji is outstanding, and I have gotten some really good shaves with it.

eric.
I already know that I should use smooth side only and setting 2 or 2.5 but you are right about the weight

Found today that I could lower the Meiji to 6 on the first pass and drop it to 3 against the grain on pass 2 and still get BBS on just those 2 passes. I like to start adjustables out high then work my way down. I don’t want to say that this is more aggressive than the Augustus without measuring gap, but it feels that way. I think a change in balance might have something to do with this so I might shave with the Augustus next week to know for sure.

Really noticed today that the handle is quite grippy when wet. I’m good either way but that is a plus for some I think. Anyone with a Standard Razors aluminum razor might know what I mean, it appears to have more grip than when dry.
Been a fun week with this one, revisiting Augustus one more time then back to my Rex.

Top Bottom