What's new

New Vielong horse hair brush

Having heard horse hair brushes are a nice alternative - not as soft as badgers, not as stiff as boars - I bought a new Vielong from Maggards. Just had my first shave with it this morning. Had that new-brush stank, which I know will pass. It was also a bit floppy for my taste. Wondering if that will improve (or whether I'll just get used to it). Obviously you can't judge a new brush by just one shave, so I'll try to keep posting thoughts over the next few weeks.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200216131443034_COVER.jpg

Horse hair brushes do not get a lot of love around here, but they are a nice alternative to badger, boar and synthetics. The characteristics of horse hair brushes depend on the diameter of the knot and the mixture of mane and tail hair. Most brushes will come with either 50% mane hair/50% tail hair or with 35% mane hair/65% tail hair. Since tail hair is coarser than mane hair, the former brushes will be softer and less stiff while the later will be less soft and more stiff. I like softer brushes, so mine are 50/50 blends, but to keep the brushes from being too floppy, I like 24mm diameter.

My vie long horse hair brush was the worst brush ive ever used. Everything about it was a poor alternative to boar, badger, or synthetic.
Never again. Life is too short.
stinky
Floppy
Pokey
Tangly
Etc. awful.

Do you remember which model you purchased? They do vary in characteristics.

Unfortunately, all horse hair brushes are subject to tangling, but that can be prevented by occasionally combing out the hair with a coarse comb.

Yeah, I think the pokey part is supposed to be the “exfoliating” characteristic of the boar brushes.

This model is the 04312 Cachurro. Someone online said it was 50% mane, 50% tail, but not sure where that information came from originally.

I have one Vie-Long brush, which is a chubby 24mm x 50mm loft, white horsehair, 50% mane +50% tail. This brush is not floppy because the knot is dense and the loft is short. It is intended for face lathering.
vie12705b.jpg
The short loft avoids the tangling issue some people have with horsehair. I comb it out from time to time when the brush is dry, same as any other brush. The white 50/50 hair is soft once the brush has been soaked for 3-5 minutes.

For a bit larger horsehair brush, I might go with a Zenith, such as this one. 27mm x 51mm Extra Soft Model 507u:
zenith-horse-hair-extra-soft-shaving-brush-olive-handle-507u-xs.jpg
Note the dense knot and short loft which minimizes the tangling issue. I don't recommend "smashing" any brush against your face, though some people love doing this. Lather is generated at the tips, and a gentle splaying or painting motion works fine to generate lather. Horse hair is a bit more fragile than boar or badger, so your brush will stay in better shape if you can avoid smashing it while running it in circles.

I did a transplant from a Vie-Long 24mm Brown Horse Hair knot to put into a Rubberset 400 and I love it but you do have to comb them to stop the tangling issue.

Having heard horse hair brushes are a nice alternative - not as soft as badgers, not as stiff as boars - I bought a new Vielong from Maggards. Just had my first shave with it this morning. Had that new-brush stank, which I know will pass. It was also a bit floppy for my taste. Wondering if that will improve (or whether I'll just get used to it). Obviously you can't judge a new brush by just one shave, so I'll try to keep posting thoughts over the next few weeks.

View attachment 1063688
The horse hairbrush seems to me to be the most varied in description and personal experience. I’m not talking about basic dimensions loft etc, just horse hair vs other. I bought a Zenith horse hair a few months back. Very glad I bought the brush and it is a favourite, but it was a very very tough brush to break in. Every hair harvest has differences just because of the individual animal. My horse hair must’ve come off the toughest, dirtiest horse in Italy. I’ve only broken in two boar brushes before I got the horse so my break in experience is limited.

Attachments

• EA20A3F5-27FF-4353-AD21-4512E5A11369.jpeg
    EA20A3F5-27FF-4353-AD21-4512E5A11369.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 19
  • A9A6CB99-5CDB-49E7-B904-3C9C06D6AF90.jpeg
    A9A6CB99-5CDB-49E7-B904-3C9C06D6AF90.jpeg
    637.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
I can follow Jim above on this as we got the Zenith brushes around the same time here is my 3 Horsehair brushes

1 Zenith Horsehair 50/50 shaving brush black resin handle 507N 27mm knot
2 Rubberset 400/4 Vie-Long 24mm Brown Horse Hair knot transplant
3 Unknown 24mm 50/50 Horsehair

20200217_005316.jpg
20200217_005354.jpg
20200217_005418.jpg

Love using these 3 fantastic brushes

Last edited:
I have one Vie-Long brush, which is a chubby 24mm x 50mm loft, white horsehair, 50% mane +50% tail. This brush is not floppy because the knot is dense and the loft is short. It is intended for face lathering.

I almost went for that one. I’m wondering if that would have been a better choice, given the dense knot and short loft. I’m a face latherer. Depending on how the Cachurro breaks in, maybe I’ll switch it out for the chubby. I like the feel of the hair, so far it’s the floppiness that I’m having to get used to.

Do you remember which model you purchased? They do vary in characteristics.

Unfortunately, all horse hair brushes are subject to tangling, but that can be prevented by occasionally combing out the hair with a coarse comb.

unbleached paleon.

“This brush is loaded with unbleached, natural horse hair, the perfect balance of economy and function. Since it is typically cheaper than badger hair but still has great water retention and whips up a great lather. Made with 35% mane and 65% tail hair, this grooming option has a firm backbone and a scratchy face feel (that many prefer). Vie-long sources all their hair from the normal grooming process for the horses so no animals are harmed to produce these brushes. The hair is placed in a unique squared off, redish handle. Clean, polished acrylic is sure to stay looking great for years to come.Overall height: 103 mm Handle height: 46 mm Knot diameter: 23 mm Bristle loft: 57 mm”

the scratchy hairs in the middle felt like nylon 1,000 lb test fishing line . Like plastic pubic hair. So bad.

My only horse is the Zenith.

Seems like there’s a lot of love for the Zeniths. I see a guy on eBay is selling them with a reduced loft.

I’m anxious to try this one again. Today’s shave was so good though that it might take a couple of days to need to hit the razor again. I’ll try shampooing the brush once or twice to cut down on the smell.

unbleached paleon.

“This brush is loaded with unbleached, natural horse hair, the perfect balance of economy and function. Since it is typically cheaper than badger hair but still has great water retention and whips up a great lather. Made with 35% mane and 65% tail hair, this grooming option has a firm backbone and a scratchy face feel (that many prefer). Vie-long sources all their hair from the normal grooming process for the horses so no animals are harmed to produce these brushes. The hair is placed in a unique squared off, redish handle. Clean, polished acrylic is sure to stay looking great for years to come.Overall height: 103 mm Handle height: 46 mm Knot diameter: 23 mm Bristle loft: 57 mm”

the scratchy hairs in the middle felt like nylon 1,000 lb test fishing line . Like plastic pubic hair. So bad.

The 35/65 blends do tend to be rather scritchy. That is why my brushes are bleached 50/50 blends. They are much softer. The 50/50 blends, however, do tend to be more expensive as there is more tale hair on a horse than mane hair.

I almost went for that one. I’m wondering if that would have been a better choice, given the dense knot and short loft. I’m a face latherer. Depending on how the Cachurro breaks in, maybe I’ll switch it out for the chubby. I like the feel of the hair, so far it’s the floppiness that I’m having to get used to.
It takes quite a few lathers to break in. It will get softer. If your brush is floppy new, it will continue being floppy. You can adjust by just using the tips of the brush. When you load the soap, keep the brush fairly wet and don't mash it into the soap, just hold the soap sideways or upside down and run the brush over the soap gently, it will pick up plenty of soap this way. On the face, use more painting motions or lazy circles without much pressure. Horsehair can generate a good lather using the tips of the hair. You don't have to mash it.

I like the chubby brush and use it in rotation. If you get it, make sure you get the natural white unbleached horse hair with 50% mane + 50% tail hair. That has the softest hair with the least scritch. (This brush is being sold under the Epsilon brand name nowadays).

Seems like there’s a lot of love for the Zeniths. I see a guy on eBay is selling them with a reduced loft.

I’m anxious to try this one again. Today’s shave was so good though that it might take a couple of days to need to hit the razor again. I’ll try shampooing the brush once or twice to cut down on the smell.
The best prices on Zeniths recently have been at yourshaving.com. Shipping is expensive from Spain, but it's not too bad if you buy some other things to spread out the shipping cost.

To de-funk your brush, try a solution of Oxiclean and laundry detergent. Let the bristles soak for a few hours. Rinse and repeat. Final rinse with a solution of vinegar and water.

I love the horse knot from shave forge. Graydog put one in a zebra wood handle for me and I love it. I had 3 vielong horse brushes and got rid of all 3. Didn't really care for them very much.
20191108_194942.jpg

Horse hair brushes do not get a lot of love around here, but they are a nice alternative to badger, boar and synthetics. The characteristics of horse hair brushes depend on the diameter of the knot and the mixture of mane and tail hair. Most brushes will come with either 50% mane hair/50% tail hair or with 35% mane hair/65% tail hair. Since tail hair is coarser than mane hair, the former brushes will be softer and less stiff while the later will be less soft and more stiff. I like softer brushes, so mine are 50/50 blends, but to keep the brushes from being too floppy, I like 24mm diameter.
my story as well...A 24mm knot will give you fuller face feel and create a rich lather quicker...Don't forget, only very light pressure when lathering, horse knots will create a center "hole" if you apply too much pressure. Note: the Vie Long Pro Barber brushes have long, thin hairs , very floppy indeed. But once you learn to use only the very tips you will get tremendously fine shaves.

Top Bottom