What's new

New VALET Blades "RustLess Finish" ... Try or Not ?

I just got in a nice Valet razor in the original box along with some blades. I received 2 boxes of genuine Valet blades and
one of the two boxes is still sealed in cellophane! I remove one blade from the open box and it shows no sign of rust .. the blade says "Rustless Finish".

Would you try (of course, after sanitizing razor & blade) using these blades?
20200302_133647.jpg20200302_133606.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Absolutely. Valet blades were made to be stropped and used multiple times. Worst case is it'll feel a little rough, but I'm assuming you'll be using an Autostrop razor, so you should be able to strop it back to smoothness.

Go for it! - Given the age, I might give the blade a quick splash in barbicide, just to make sure it's disinfected, but would try them. Looks like a stainless blade in the picture, hence the 'rustless finish' in the name, may not respond to stropping if it is.

It will feel rough - I tried one once. They are carbon steel under that paint or whatever the coating is. No need to sanitize it but if it makes you feel better hit it with some Scrubbing Bubbles or hot water and dish soap. Palm strop or cork it for sure.

I used one of those for half a shave and then put it in an old AutoStrop utility knife/cigar cutter. It lasted a long time in that.

Obvious solution, strop them in the razor! :D It is an Auto-Strop and designed to do it, why use your palm.

If you don't have the strop, it's basically just a 16-18 inch piece of leather, that's approximately 1.75 inches wide, and maybe 1/16. Add a strap or hook on one end to attach to a door knob, handle, or some other fixed object, and strop the bugger 10-20 times. I've stropped a couple of KAI BEST blades for use in my OneBlade, which are also carbon steel. - Works better with some rouge rubbed onto the blade side of the strop. (I used green, which seems to have worked well).

With a bit of modification to the blade holder, you can get a very nice edge using an Allegro sharpener.:001_smile

Disinfecting the blade first is good advice.... if the shave is rough just keep the blades for collecting only.

Top Bottom