What's new

New user - shaving since 1996, planning to try DE safety razor tomorrow

One option might be to consider shaving at night before you go to bed. Stick with this and you will get the results you want!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
🤔 you, like me are not a morning person. BigJ hit the nail on the head. You my friend are lined up to be one of us on here that are part of the Brotherhood known as the Circle of Night Shavers.
I find that shaving at the end of the day acts as a sort of meditative relaxation time to finish up my day. Also most of the time a Dam Fine Shave the night before still allows you still have a Socially Acceptable Shave the next day.
I, too, have adopted the bedtime shave. Plenty of time, no pressure, and much much more enjoyable.

Thank you all, this is hugely helpful!

I often have trouble falling asleep, and my main method of fighting insomnia is having good evening routines in the last hour before going to sleep. It never crossed my mind that shaving could fit well in that system. I'll definitely try.

Probably more than just the blades. The soap had a huge effect I’m sure. I mean, you think your yellow bar of dial soap is slick, when you get a good soap with some free fats in it all lathered up…watch out. With experience you can do a few strokes in a single lather. Not really full passes, but touch ups and “rosette” patterns for those stubborn areas. Also figuring out what direction works well, no simply mapping, but what direction WHEN and how much pressure/angle per pass.

For example:
I found doing W-X-A (with across against) the grain made for a very sensitive face after. No bumps or anything, but verging on sunburn. I found WAX works better for me. Also the left cheek is like sand paper on the X pass while the right the A pass is a little rough.

I also found giving “facets” a break during the shave works nicely. Like I’ll do the cheeks a full pattern (I use a OneBlade Genesis and get super results one smooth pass, one hacking pass) and move down to some long swipes on the neck. Now that area is clear of soap and the cheeks are rested I’ll go back and do a south to north double pass. And go back down under for another pass on the neck. And back up top again. It also keeps from shaving tunnel vision from occurring (hyper focused on that stubborn rosette next to your adams Apple..,..mf-er I hate you!).

Also…sometimes you need to know when to throw in the towel. I’ve got some places on my neck that go to hamburger if I get carried away. Sometimes close is good enough. You may run into the Bermuda stubble. You swear it’s there, you can feel it as you shave, as you search for errant follicles, even as you rinse….but your put that razor down and finish your routine to the end…hey it’s gone! Some people say it’s engorged follicles that relax when dry. I dunno, but it appears sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 49, was a Mach 3 shaver until last year. Unlike cartridge shaving, which is too easy, traditional DE shaving takes skill, and TIME. A good soap/lather makes all the difference, but still won’t compensate the right razor and blade combination for YOU.

If after a week+ of shaving with your DE razor, you’re still regularly blood letting, I would suggest a different approach. Consider switching to a single edge razor. The shave technique, IMHO, is much closer to cartridge shaving. The SE blade is also thicker, allowing for smoother strokes.

Might I suggest you invest in a Blackland Vector, coupled with a Kai Captain Mild Pink blade? I promise you won’t be disappointed, and if you are, Shane at Blackland will accept your return, no questions asked.

PS: I too love mechanical watches and have a small (10) collection.

Just like you I'm pretty new to this and have tried out a couple of tips from this forum.

I have the advantage of still having to work from home, so I can take things slow in the morning.

I need 20-ish minutes per shave (pre-shave-finish and clean up included).
This is bound to go wrong when I'm expected to turn up at the office.

I guess taking your time really does make the difference.
For me using the rinse and lather face, apply hot towel, relather technique helpend alot. Perhaps you could try that, although it too will set your planning back for like a minute.

Also I think if you are scraping only lather instead of hairs you might not be holding your razor at the right angle.

Pretty sure I'll end up joining the circle of nightshavers when I'm expected back to the office in the morning.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

I made it about 35 before I tried wet shaving which is odd because I grew up watching my grandfathers shave with a DE and injector respectively. I guess I thought it was just dead and gone?

Anyway, my first attempt was with a Merkur 3 piece razor, whatever blades they included, a hilariously pathetic boar brush, and a tube or C. O. Bigelow shaving cream. It was a disaster and I quit after a dozen or so attempts.

Looking back on it now, I’m convinced that the blades were at fault. I still have them and am unable to identify what kind they are. I’ve tried different blades and found some that suit me. It seems like this time it will stick since I’m enjoying it so much!

Top Bottom