What's new

New user - shaving since 1996, planning to try DE safety razor tomorrow

Hi, I'm Morse.

Tomorrow is the 25th aniversary of my first shave. For the first few years, I used Gillette Sensor Excel and then switched to Mach3. A few weeks ago I dropped my Mach3 razor, and a small piece of plastic that held the blade chipped off. At first, I planned to buy a new Mach3, but then I started seeing ads on Facebook for the Henson AL13 razor (why on Earth does Facebook know I need a new razor?). After a short research, during which I stumbled upon many recommendations for AL13 as a good razor for DE newbies, I decided to buy it. It arrived a few days ago, but I decided to wait until this anniversary (also, I'll have two days to recover from the bloodbath that I expect to happen, before going to work on Monday).

I'm a bit nervous about this. I'm 41, I shave for a quarter of century, and I'm nervous about losing some blood. Pathetic.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I understand how you feel Morse. I was so scared of using a DE razor as I couldn't see the blade's edge on my face. For this reason, I went directly from carts to a straight razor (SR). That was almost two years ago and I haven't looked back since.

Now I, like most other SR shavers, wish I have started SR shaving in my teens.

Welcome to B&B. Just use a light touch and everything will be OK.

Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on the photos to show the pics.

why on Earth does Facebook know I need a new razor?
Because Big Tech is watching.
Welcome to the DE community. Beware the Rabbit Hole.

130FF0C1-B27A-4508-B911-C84125D22FEB.jpeg

I understand how you feel Morse. I was so scared of using a DE razor as I couldn't see the blade's edge on my face. For this reason, I went directly from carts to a straight razor (SR). That was almost two years ago and I haven't looked back since.

Now I, like most other SR shavers, wish I have started SR shaving in my teens.

And I thought that I'm the only one feeling anxious! SR is not an option for me and probably won't ever be. Since childhood, I have had a slight tremor in my hands, so the idea of putting a straight razor on my throat doesn't sound particularly attractive :001_302:

Because Big Tech is watching.
Welcome to the DE community. Beware the Rabbit Hole.

Nah, rabbit holes are not a problem for me. I only have 9 different mechanical keyboards, 4 grills and 11 mechanical watches, so I'm obviously resistant to falling in the rabbit holes. :biggrin1:

OK, now seriously. When I was younger, I fell victim to several rabbit holes. But at the moment, in fact, I only have 3 mechanical keyboards, 1 grill and 4 mechanical watches. I got rid of the rest.

The moment I started researching wet shaving, I noticed the Rabbit Hole-potential. However, I'm older and wiser now. I'll heed the warning!

Last edited:
Just a short thank you to everyone. I'll write an update tomorrow. Hopefully not from the hospital.

Welcome to the DE club. You’ll love it. I’ve bookmarked this thread because I love your post and looking forward to the next chapter of a great journey. Can’t wait to read your thoughts of your new Henson.
Welcome to the journey, Morse. Best of luck on your maiden voyage.
Welcome to B&B. Just use a light touch and everything will be OK.
Welcome to B&B. Enjoy your DE shaves.
Welcome aboard! I suggest you read through the WiKi which has a ton of useful information. Take it easy and recognize that ‘traditional’ wet shaving is a skill set that takes a bit of time to develop!
Welcome to the world of DE shaving... It's a learning curve in the angle and pressure department but, it's an amazing improvement over cartridge shaving... Your face will thank you in the long run.
Welcome to wet shaving! I also had only used carts before I picked up a DE a few years ago. A lot to learn here at B&B.

Nah, rabbit holes are not a problem for me. I only have 9 different mechanical keyboards, 4 grills and 11 mechanical watches, so I'm obviously resistant to falling in the rabbit holes. :biggrin1:

OK, now seriously. When I was younger, I fell victim to several rabbit holes. But at the moment, in fact, I only have 3 mechanical keyboards, 1 grill and 4 mechanical watches. I got rid of the rest.

The moment I started researching wet shaving, I noticed the Rabbit Hole-potential. However, I'm older and wiser now. I'll heed the warning!
Haha! Like you I recently started wet shaving. I am up to four razors and a bunch of soaps and creams already.
My suggestions are to have time put aside as it takes longer, and don't press the blade on your skin as you slide.
Enjoy the shave.

Top Bottom