What's new

New user and looking for advice

I’ve recently gotten into more natural soaps and thinking about wet shaving. I’m looking for suggestions on quality products made in the USA or anything other than China. Good quality starter kit would be ideal that isn’t too expensive.

Welcome to B&B.
Do you have a budget in mind?
Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89 are good razors and try a blade sampler pack. A boar brush may be a good first brush and there many choices in that kind of brush.

Looking to put a kit together for maybe $100 or less. I probably can't afford much more than that right now. I've seen kits for sale on Amazon and places for cheap but I assume that stuff is all made in China.

You could order from Maggard's. Maybe a Fatip Razor (Italy) which I can't personally recommend (i haven't tried one), but people seem to say good things about them. Personally, I would recommend maybe a Semogue 610 brush (Portugal), but a lot of people like the Omega's or any number of synthetics. There are multitudes of soaps and creams to choose from. Add to that a sample pack of blades, and you should be able to do it for less than $100 . . . maybe like $75.

Looking to put a kit together for maybe $100 or less. I probably can't afford much more than that right now. I've seen kits for sale on Amazon and places for cheap but I assume that stuff is all made in China.
Forget kits, they will not be good value.
For a boar brush get an Omega 10049 or 10108 or 20106 or 10098. Semogue brushes are more expensive.
For a razor the Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 34C or Fatip Gentile Grande. This is the main tool so don't opt for the cheap Chinese imports.
A blade sampler pack
One or two soaps of your choice and you are good for many shaves. Order from the same vendor and you will probably get P&P free. All will cost well within the budget.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome @The Wandering Narnian ! I am sure you have seen other threads similar to yours and understand you are about to be bombarded. I can vouch for the Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle r89 Merkur 34c, Van Dar Hagen TTO (preference in that order) as great places to start. How much of a hurry are you in to get started? You can get the VDH at your local super duper. There is a King C Gillette that seems to have a Muhle r89 head available at Walgreens for $30.

I would highly recommend a synthetic brush, a Yaqi Tuxedo Knot would serve you well at about $18.

I saw Maggards mentioned above. West Coast Shaving has always done well by me. Anyway, don't get overwhelmed by all the opinions coming your way. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Best!

Welcome @The Wandering Narnian ! I am sure you have seen other threads similar to yours and understand you are about to be bombarded. I can vouch for the Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle r89 Merkur 34c, Van Dar Hagen TTO (preference in that order) as great places to start. How much of a hurry are you in to get started? You can get the VDH at your local super duper. There is a King C Gillette that seems to have a Muhle r89 head available at Walgreens for $30.

I would highly recommend a synthetic brush, a Yaqi Tuxedo Knot would serve you well at about $18.

I saw Maggards mentioned above. West Coast Shaving has always done well by me. Anyway, don't get overwhelmed by all the opinions coming your way. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Best!
Not in a big hurry. I'm checking out websites and prices. A lot of great suggestions, thanks.

If you want vintage instead of new, look at a Gillette Fat Handle Tech. They can be purchased in good shape for $15 & under. Many here love them. New razors are mentioned above & they are nice choices as well. I've used many modern razors but now I'm a fanboy of vintage. To each their own.

Brush. Two ways to go to keep costs down - boar or synthetic. Boar will have more scrub & you'll feel the bristles on your face, synthetics are softer. Boar needs time for breaking in, synthetics you use from day 1. Both have their fans, just a personal taste type of decision. I would suggest starting with synthetic, easier to use for a beginner.

Just a word of warning on synthetic brushes — many are made in China, or use fibres made in China. Same with badger brushes. That doesn't mean some aren't good, but it's something to be aware of. Boar brushes are a much safer bet if you want something made in Europe.

Great advice above!

I echo the recommendations for either a Merkur 34C or one of the EJ89 series razors. You should also purchase a blade sampler pak or two.

Most boar and synthetic fibers come from China, so a boar would be your best bet for a brush.

Mainly, enjoy the journey!! :clap: :clap:

+1 for the EJ DE89 or the Merkur 34c. The 34c is slightly better in my opinion. I wish either of these had been my first razor. You can assume you've got a great piece of hardware and focus solely on your technique.

I also second the Yaqi synthetic. That's a great brush for $19, approximately. It is Chinese, however. I steer away from Chinese goods as well, but that's more difficult when it comes to brushes. ALL badger knots come from China and so do a lot of the synthetic knots, regardless of where the brush is assembled.

Astra SP and Gilette Wilkinson Sword are very inexpensive blades and two of the best. Tabac is one of the best soaps and it costs about $16 for a refill puck. It really is superior.

Merkur 34c : $40
Yaqi synth: $19
Blades: $10
Tabac soap: $16
Clubman Whiskey Woods Aftershave: $9

That's a winning lineup right there! And within budget, basically. You can order the whole thing from West Coast Shaving.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Echoed concerns for Chinese products for several reasons. However, if you are not opposed to the origin, and it's in stock ie West Coast Shaving, pull the trigger on a Yaqi brush.

I am considering it all Budget wise
For USA soap I would visit stirling very nice price performance ratio.

American razor most likely a used gillette tech or black beauty. If you want budget since lots of the affordable others are made in Asia.
Budget no issue lots of American razors out there.

Alternative a Se a vintage gem...

Blades are another nice one most likely you end up with personna.
Brush is the real problem (as member Chandu made painfully clear in his May d in the USA challenge). Handles are turned in the USA or Europe but the knots are typically Chinese.
Personally get a Yaqi (or stirling or razorock, etc) and live with That fact.

Happy hunting it is all about the chase!

Top Bottom