What's new

New use for menthol crystals: Soothe a sore throat :(

Whatever virus my wife had last week has now passed to me. No fever but the chest congestion and coughing are obnoxious :(

A few months ago I bought a couple ounces of menthol crystals to add to aftershave splashes. It's powerful stuff, such that I've had to double wrap it to keep the whole bathroom from smelling of menthol.

And now I'm inhaling the fumes straight out of the bag to ease the throat irritation, because the menthol cough drops aren't strong enough to do the job.

This stinks. I'm going back to bed. TV works fine in there and there's football to watch

Boiling water into a bowl, few drops of menthol oil, or in this case a crystal or two, put a kitchen towel over your head, and get in there. Breathe it deep. Always works for me :D

Boiling water into a bowl, few drops of menthol oil, or in this case a crystal or two, put a kitchen towel over your head, and get in there. Breathe it deep. Always works for me :D

I like how you think. Hot steam would feel good

Heh, doesn’t take long after exposing oneself to this concoction to remember it’s less painful with eyes shut.

The problem is that it got cold too quickly, until LOTH reminded me that we own an electric personal steam inhaler for exactly this purpose. Now I feel much better.

The annoying part is, I’m still not really recovered yet. Probably going to have to work from home to avoid annoying all my coworkers, though I don’t really feel that poorly anymore.

I’ve always done this leaning over the sink, with hot water flowing, towel over the head. A good facial can be had along with the nasal invigoration, by adding thyme, rosemary, and sage.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Use the steam and menthol to open everything up, blow out what you can, and then follow up with a neti pot to rinse out more. Recovery will speed up like you don't know.

Top Bottom