What's new

New/Upgrade DE

I have the 23C, a 6C and a 6S.

As far as I know, Merkur don't publish technical specs, but the 23C feels rather like a Rockwell R3, or maybe between an R2 and R3.

I preferred R4 for a long time, but the R5 plus Astra SP is, for now at least, the perfect shave. The bulky head, which I was expecting to really annoy me, doesn't give me trouble.

That being said, and since the Rockwell gaps are

...I am now getting very interested in a Razorock Gamechanger 0.68... ;)

Thanks a ton. This really helps to align the 23c with the Rockwell side for the gaps.

What is the gap on this and how does it compare to the Merkur 23c? Without more information, as to why, your post isn’t helpful to me.

Not sure how accurate these numbers are:
Merkur 23c is listed as 0.64 mm
AS-D2 is listed as 0.74 mm

At the top of the page is a disclaimer:
"Clarification: blade gap, angle, weight, and blade exposure collectively influence the aggressiveness of a razor. Each individual factors may contribute relatively more or less for each person based on an his/her skin, hair, prep, choice of blades, or technique. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), and this chart should not be used as a general ranking of aggressiveness, mildness, or efficiency of the various razors. This page is only a (likely imperfect) listing/ranking of blade gaps."

So reading up on the progress, I’ve seen many mention the mergress where it’s been enhanced. What I don’t see or can’t seem to find is where the Mergress is carried or where the progress would be sent to have it tweaked? Anyone have a comparison between the mergress and the 6c/s?

So reading up on the progress, I’ve seen many mention the mergress where it’s been enhanced. What I don’t see or can’t seem to find is where the Mergress is carried or where the progress would be sent to have it tweaked? Anyone have a comparison between the mergress and the 6c/s?

I found it at BullGoose Shaving.

I get their being fans, but being a Bushi aficionado, I actually get the meanings so it does sound funny to me. I guess I’ve become a bit prejudiced because of all the misuse and misinterpretations over the years. By the way, The Met (NYC) had a really nice exhibition 10 or so years ago).

As for the fit and finish, it looks nice, but as eaglesgift pointed out the exposure and gap is different, not only between the models, but even the changes based on the comb being open or closed, which means I need to figure out what fits me before I can look there.

I do wish there were places other than the Art of Shaving overpriced crap stores to get hands on with things.

I am interested in martial arts myself so I understand what u mean although for me the association actually is a positive aspect to me.
I hear you on the lack of bricks and mortar shops all over that feature razors - sadly traditional wet shaving is still a niche interest especially out if the US.

If you like mild yet fairly efficient razors then the masamune is the razor for you whereas if you want more efficiency then the nodachi is the one to get. If you dont like the longer handle and want the shorter one you can order he masamune handle with the nodachi head. If I were you I would stick to the closed comb to start with and you can always get the open comb later if want. If you get te masamune and find u want more efficiency later or if you get the nodachi and find it too aggressive after a while you can mix and match the nodachi cap with the masamune baseplate or vice versa. There are many possibilities within the Tatara system.

But for me the masamune is just fine the way it is.

I am interested in martial arts myself so I understand what u mean although for me the association actually is a positive aspect to me.
I hear you on the lack of bricks and mortar shops all over that feature razors - sadly traditional wet shaving is still a niche interest especially out if the US.

If you like mild yet fairly efficient razors then the masamune is the razor for you whereas if you want more efficiency then the nodachi is the one to get. If you dont like the longer handle and want the shorter one you can order he masamune handle with the nodachi head. If I were you I would stick to the closed comb to start with and you can always get the open comb later if want. If you get te masamune and find u want more efficiency later or if you get the nodachi and find it too aggressive after a while you can mix and match the nodachi cap with the masamune baseplate or vice versa. There are many possibilities within the Tatara system.

But for me the masamune is just fine the way it is.

That’s the thing. I’m at the point of trying to figure out if I want something more aggressive. I can’t complain about the 23c (been many years, shave creams/soaps, and brushes but still the same razor) since I normally do a one pass and done, unless it’s been a few days. I wish the Merkur blades were cheaper (used to love them) but the feather works great and I’ve gotten used to them (were too aggressive as a beginner).

Seeing as I need to test out the range of what I like and then move to the specifics, I decided on adjustables. I looked more closely at the the 6c/s but with having to change the heads, I felt that would be a bit of a burden. The Rex was way too expensive at this point, and folks loved the progress and the variant (I wasn’t going to do the cheap Chinese knockoffs). Then I read about the Mergress and how the issues with the progress were addressed making it the best version of the progress out there. I looked at the handle lengths and weight compared to the 23c and picked this up. I think this will get let me learn the gaps a lot better which will let me delve into specifics with these other razors (Tatara, Karve, Feather, Razorock, etc).

That’s the thing. I’m at the point of trying to figure out if I want something more aggressive. I can’t complain about the 23c (been many years, shave creams/soaps, and brushes but still the same razor) since I normally do a one pass and done, unless it’s been a few days. I wish the Merkur blades were cheaper (used to love them) but the feather works great and I’ve gotten used to them (were too aggressive as a beginner).

Seeing as I need to test out the range of what I like and then move to the specifics, I decided on adjustables. I looked more closely at the the 6c/s but with having to change the heads, I felt that would be a bit of a burden. The Rex was way too expensive at this point, and folks loved the progress and the variant (I wasn’t going to do the cheap Chinese knockoffs). Then I read about the Mergress and how the issues with the progress were addressed making it the best version of the progress out there. I looked at the handle lengths and weight compared to the 23c and picked this up. I think this will get let me learn the gaps a lot better which will let me delve into specifics with these other razors (Tatara, Karve, Feather, Razorock, etc).

That sounds like a good plan. If you want an adjustable that is said to be better (more smooth but just as or almost as eficient) than the rex you may want to keep an eye open for the homelike Taiga that is going to come out later this year un uts second iteration - it will cost around the same aw the reX ambassador though. Another interesting razor coming out sometime soon is the Tatara adjustable but no pricing information yet on that one.

That sounds like a good plan. If you want an adjustable that is said to be better (more smooth but just as or almost as eficient) than the rex you may want to keep an eye open for the homelike Taiga that is going to come out later this year un uts second iteration - it will cost around the same aw the reX ambassador though. Another interesting razor coming out sometime soon is the Tatara adjustable but no pricing information yet on that one.

Searched and saw the posts for the Taiga. I don’t have the rubles for that. Rex and Wolfman are too much at this point (blew through the budget). Just got notice the Mergress is prepped for shipment. Will soon be able to see if I need the more aggressive shaves and how I like the slightly shorter handle with more weight.

Searched and saw the posts for the Taiga. I don’t have the rubles for that. Rex and Wolfman are too much at this point (blew through the budget). Just got notice the Mergress is prepped for shipment. Will soon be able to see if I need the more aggressive shaves and how I like the slightly shorter handle with more weight.

No worries - the mergress will at least give you an idea of what you need in the future and at best could be the razor that solves your RAD!

I need suggestions for a new (same as) or upgrade DE. I’ve been thinking of an upgrade for a while now but there’s so much. I’m not looking to spend hundred of dollars but want something quality (I’m not gonna live 100 more years so I don’t care that it’s not going to be passed down to great grand kids).

My first and main is a Merkur 23c (or 108) using feather blades. I’ve learned on it and have no issues.
My second as a trial for a butterfly and travel (in case I lost it) was a Weishi Long handle using the same feather blades. While it’s Not bad looking, for me it doesn’t get as clean a shave as the Merkur, and on a non-prepped face (no shower, soap and go) tears me up.

I have a full goatee and can get it all done with the DE (in a rush I will use a Gillette fusion to trim close to the goatee but that’s rare).

My list so far (yes, if I’m happy with a brand I tend to stick with it, and I like Solingen steel)
Merkur 38C HD Long (not expensive and is an upgrade from the 23c)
Merkur Progress Adjustable (maybe it’s time to play with settings? But is it needed if my current angle works.)
Merkur Future (was intrigued when it first came out).

I’ve heard folks mention these.
Tatara Nodachi (is it really worth the price?)
Razorock Gamechanger (how much more aggressive is it?)

Oh, and I’ve seen people mention the Fatip, but from the reviews, although it’s all brass the finish won’t be as clean but most important the blade can slip so I’m adjusting more because of the weld points so that’s ruled out.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. The recommendations and input were great.

I ended up going with the Mergress XL (arrives Thursday), for adjustability and ease of adjustments (no changing out like the 6c/s). I believe this will get me most of what folks have mentioned, let me find what matches the 23c, and test out the adjustments to determine what I like from there.

Top Bottom