What's new

New/Upgrade DE

I need suggestions for a new (same as) or upgrade DE. I’ve been thinking of an upgrade for a while now but there’s so much. I’m not looking to spend hundred of dollars but want something quality (I’m not gonna live 100 more years so I don’t care that it’s not going to be passed down to great grand kids).

My first and main is a Merkur 23c (or 108) using feather blades. I’ve learned on it and have no issues.
My second as a trial for a butterfly and travel (in case I lost it) was a Weishi Long handle using the same feather blades. While it’s Not bad looking, for me it doesn’t get as clean a shave as the Merkur, and on a non-prepped face (no shower, soap and go) tears me up.

I have a full goatee and can get it all done with the DE (in a rush I will use a Gillette fusion to trim close to the goatee but that’s rare).

My list so far (yes, if I’m happy with a brand I tend to stick with it, and I like Solingen steel)
Merkur 38C HD Long (not expensive and is an upgrade from the 23c)
Merkur Progress Adjustable (maybe it’s time to play with settings? But is it needed if my current angle works.)
Merkur Future (was intrigued when it first came out).

I’ve heard folks mention these.
Tatara Nodachi (is it really worth the price?)
Razorock Gamechanger (how much more aggressive is it?)

Oh, and I’ve seen people mention the Fatip, but from the reviews, although it’s all brass the finish won’t be as clean but most important the blade can slip so I’m adjusting more because of the weld points so that’s ruled out.

My suggestion would be to try heavier, stainless steel razors. The ones you mentioned may not be more aggressive -- rather they are just as good at cutting hair while feeling extremely smooth, something I attribute to how well they hold down the blade.

6S
Gamechanger
Tatara
Karve

^All have plenty of reviews that they are solid performers.

Rockwell 6S or 6C

Very well made with a selection of 6 blade gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. The adjustability is by changing the base. The getrockwell site won’t load for me. How does 2 and 4 compare? For example is it a distance change between 1-3 and then one is a more aggressive angle?

I have not tried the tatara nodachi but I have a masamune and it is my favourite razor so far. Amazingly beautiful design to my eyes, with impeccable fit and finish, and very comfortable and smooth to shave with and it is efficient 3nough for me. If you want something more efficient but the same advantages of the masamune then the nodachi should do the trick imho.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Game changer is definitely the most worthwhile choice in your list of "processing/price".
Its comfort and efficiency are very similar to the Merkur standard head. And there are better quality full mechanical processing + beautiful and strong materials.

My wife and I have no children, but I bought the gift for myself-used as the first mechanical processing razor to collect.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a Game Changer 84 among other Game Changer variations. I also have many high Zoot fancy-pants razors. Every time I shave with the GC 84, I think about how it could totally be my only razor, and how much money I would have saved. It’s that good. But, variety is the spice of life, and I love shaving with my fancy-pants razors... so no regrets. 😎

with your adjustables I was thinking you have all the different levels of aggression covered maybe it's time to try a slant Merkur 37c, 39c, or razorock german 37, or more expensive is the razorock wunderbar.

If the reader can afford it, just buy the 6S first.

I bought the 6C "cheap", and then after I'd got the point, bought my 6S, at 1½ times dear...

I do agree. I have over 50 safety razors, mostly vintage but also some modern. The 6S never fails, has numerous adjustments, and isn’t particular about the blade model....they all seem to perform well.

My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second support of the game changers. I had the 6S and sold it. It shave nicely, but with 6 different blade gaps I still felt that the aggressiveness and efficiency range was not broad enough to warrant the price and keeping it in my rotation.

Fit and finish of the game changers is way out front compared to a 6S. Admittedly, if one buys a Gamechanger, likes it, then lots to buy the other baseplate they will spend about the same amount of money as you would on the 6S. But you’ll have two really nice, well finished options.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I second support of the game changers. I had the 6S and sold it.

Same. I found the 6s to be big and bulky. The head looked like some kind of industrial part rather than a finely crafted stainless razor. It shaved well, but I need a little more out of my razors. And it is hard to fit that bulbous razor head under the nose. At the end of the day, it got spit out the back of the pack, and I sold it. The GC series is miles ahead of the 6s in every way for me.

Great list above!

I will add two very reasonably priced options for your consideration:
Vintage: Gillette Slim (truly a classic and a fine shaver IMO)
Modern: FaTip

Buy BOTH!! :clap: :clap:

I have not tried the tatara nodachi but I have a masamune and it is my favourite razor so far. Amazingly beautiful design to my eyes, with impeccable fit and finish, and very comfortable and smooth to shave with and it is efficient 3nough for me. If you want something more efficient but the same advantages of the masamune then the nodachi should do the trick imho.

Thanks. When I went to the site it Tatara is the brand, masamune is the model, nodachi is the long handle. It looks nice but the Japanese name on a Portuguese product turned me off.

I need suggestions for a new (same as) or upgrade DE. I’ve been thinking of an upgrade for a while now but there’s so much. I’m not looking to spend hundred of dollars but want something quality (I’m not gonna live 100 more years so I don’t care that it’s not going to be passed down to great grand kids).

My first and main is a Merkur 23c (or 108) using feather blades. I’ve learned on it and have no issues.
My second as a trial for a butterfly and travel (in case I lost it) was a Weishi Long handle using the same feather blades. While it’s Not bad looking, for me it doesn’t get as clean a shave as the Merkur, and on a non-prepped face (no shower, soap and go) tears me up.

I have a full goatee and can get it all done with the DE (in a rush I will use a Gillette fusion to trim close to the goatee but that’s rare).

My list so far (yes, if I’m happy with a brand I tend to stick with it, and I like Solingen steel)
Merkur 38C HD Long (not expensive and is an upgrade from the 23c)
Merkur Progress Adjustable (maybe it’s time to play with settings? But is it needed if my current angle works.)
Merkur Future (was intrigued when it first came out).

I’ve heard folks mention these.
Tatara Nodachi (is it really worth the price?)
Razorock Gamechanger (how much more aggressive is it?)

Oh, and I’ve seen people mention the Fatip, but from the reviews, although it’s all brass the finish won’t be as clean but most important the blade can slip so I’m adjusting more because of the weld points so that’s ruled out.

Going to add the Feather AS-D2 (tight blade fit) to my list, as well as the Rockwell 6S/C (like the adjustability)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
$99 gets you a Blackland Dart. That's considered a high end razor at an affordable price. I can only speak to the handle as I bought the handle for my Timeless to reduce the weight of the stainless steel razor, but I know some of the fellas that have posted here have experience with the actual razor itself.

Top Bottom