What's new

New traeger, any tips?

As the title states, I just bought a junior elite traeger today. I am about to try grilling/smoking some salmon on it tonight.

Any tips on which setting to use? my temperature control has smoke, medium, and high. I have my thermometer in there and high looks to be between 450 and 500. Not sure on medium or smoke.

How expensive would it be for a numerical temperature control?

What setting should I set the traeger for different temperatures recipes call for?

Thanks!

Just bought a traeger junior elite.

Every recipe I read calls for a specific temperature, however, this grill only has smoke, medium, and high.

What setting would I use for salmon? Low and slow cooking I assume would be beef, chicken or turkey.

How much would it be, and is it possible to add a digital controller?

Any other traeger general tips for a new pellet user?

Thanks for the advice!

I was in the mess hall. No clue how this got into the stock exchange.

Something with tapatalk maybe?

Now I am looking into the ortech controller and the traeger insulating blanket. It should help things come out much better. Keep more consistent Temps and have better control

Now I am looking into the ortech controller and the traeger insulating blanket. It should help things come out much better. Keep more consistent Temps and have better control

For more stable temps and quicker recovery you may want to try adding some firebrick in the bottom around the fire pot, I have a Lil Tex and have 5 in mine. I haven't seen a need for insulating blanket, even with ambient temps in the single digits it hasn't been a problem, burns a few more pellets is all. I would highly recommend upgrading to digital controller, I am actually upgrading mine tomorrow from digital to an aftermarket PID style controller for even more control. Experiment with different brands of pellets, Traeger brand are overpriced and not as good as others IMO.

Thanks for the info. I have 3 bricks I am gonna put into the bottom to help. They aren't fire bricks, but should help by adding some mass.

I am gonna get the ortech controller, unless there is a better option out there.

What other pellets are good brands to try? I would love to find some local also.

Thanks for the info. I have 3 bricks I am gonna put into the bottom to help. They aren't fire bricks, but should help by adding some mass.

I am gonna get the ortech controller, unless there is a better option out there.

What other pellets are good brands to try? I would love to find some local also.

I have settled on Lumberjack pellets, they are good quality and price is good. If you know a couple of other people, or recruit some after they try the 'Q you make, order them in bulk. I have organized two group buys splitting a ton with several friends and we can buy them for about $.30/lb. bbq'ers delight and cooking pellets are other brands I've tried and liked.

Top Bottom