What's new

New toy

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Picked up an inexpensive mountain bike today. It's not a $2,000-$3,000 one but when you push the pedals it goes. It's a 21 speed, which is something I'm going to have to get used to. The only thing I've had are the old single speeds.

It's a dual suspension, which is probably good here. The road in front of the house is a 2 lane highway with no shoulders an a lot of semi truck traffic. Now way I'm riding on that. I'll just ride down the 1/10th mile driveway to go get the mail or ride around in the 2 acre yard, and I have about 12 acres of pasture to pedal around in. Should give me a bit of cardio.

I was wondering a bit about parts since Alexander's bicycle shop here closed years ago, but I looked up online and there are two fairly new bike shop that have opened in town.

1570495656361.png

Parts are pretty modular.

I'd say that will introduce you to off road biking. I'm not going to badmouth inexpensive big-box store bikes because I am not a bike snob and they can be a gateway to a great pastime.

If you find you like it and want to get more serious about your rides, there are always lots of bikes on Craigslist that will perform with you as your skills increase.

Enjoy! I love a good ride.

Congratulations. I don't measure the value by the price tag. I measure it by how much it is enjoyed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Parts are pretty modular.

I'd say that will introduce you to off road biking. I'm not going to badmouth inexpensive big-box store bikes because I am not a bike snob and they can be a gateway to a great pastime.

If you find you like it and want to get more serious about your rides, there are always lots of bikes on Craigslist that will perform with you as your skills increase.

Enjoy! I love a good ride.

Yeah, I don't think an expensive bike would work well for me right now for what I want to do. No need to spend big bucks for something that I won't get the full potential out of. At my age I don't think I'm going into hard core mountain biking. That's for the youngsters. :biggrin1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was enough of a fool on a motorcycle when I was younger. I'm more cautious now.

If I were to go down a steep hill on a mountain bike, then hit a jump, it would probably end with something like this:

If you're going to be riding on bumpy terrain, check out a custom seat specifically designed for a man's anatomy. I found it a big improvement over a stock seat. Like member @sneefy said, "The best bike is the one that gets ridden". A quick google search will tell you how to fit your bike to your body for comfortable riding.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like it. A bike is a great way to get the heart pumping without harsh impact on the joints.

Yeah, the Army killed my knees, ankles, and shins running in combat boots through the sand and on asphalt. We pushed the hills of California all the way to Canada.

I rode the bike down part of the driveway awhile ago, only about 80 yards or so...out of breath and legs hurting a bit. The front tire was wobbling a bit and don't know if it was me or the way the bike handles. Probably me...haven't ridden a bike in decades.

Last edited:
Enjoy it. My youngest son is an avid off road biker. He said it starts inexpensive and climbs. Something like traditional shaving!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Enjoy it. My youngest son is an avid off road biker. He said it starts inexpensive and climbs. Something like traditional shaving!

I've been thinking about getting one of the retro bikes, the single speed with fenders, and see if it handles different. Saw a couple of the cheap ones like that at the store...then I could put a basket on the front and carry Toto.

Might get a girl's style one, then SWMBO could go riding with me...that ain't gonna happen.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Those single speed retro bikes aren't much fun other than on flat hard surfaces.

Yeah, that's why I got the mountain bike, but I had the retro ones since the '60s. My long driveway is hard packed pea gravel and is pretty smooth...in most places. They have a bike/walking trail in town that runs about 70 miles through several counties so far. I saw the planned route is 130 miles or so. It's been in town for a few years and I heard the city has neglected the upkeep on it (surprise, surprise...yeah, a real surprise. Not.) and there have been a few assaults and a couple of shootings on it. Once the grant money runs out the city seems to forget about things. Glad I have the lightweight .38 to carry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom