What's new

New Toy! Flat bottom Tech

IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG
Finally arrived from England. Flat bottom Tech with thin handle. I've been wanting to try one for a while. I'm kind of on a Tech binge. My fist razor was a 50's Feather Tech clone. Have a Feather traveler from 2006, a post war English Tech, and a 50's US Tech that was generously gifted to me by @ccpastork. The 50's Feather is my favorite, closely followed by the 50's US Tech. Actually the US Tech has been my most used razor lately. And yes, I've put off shaving the last few days until after the mail came in anticipation. Loaded it with a Feather blade with unknown number of shaves on it, but it was sitting out, rather than in the bin, so should be good.

Razor is in good condition. Starting to lose a little plating on the corners of the top plate, but nothing serious given it's age. The thin handle is in good shape. No thick handle to compare it to, but the last shots are with the English post war, then the US Tech on far right. Shave report to follow.

Looks good!

How many of us alter our shave schedule because something is due in the mail? I'm guilty. NRD* is as exciting now as Christmas was when I was a kid.

*New Razor Day

Well first shave in the books.
I've read comments that implied the English Gillette's were perhaps machined/assembled to a higher level of quality than their US counterparts. This one doesn't really have a US counterpart, but just putting it together suggests some one was paying attention. Screwing in the handle there's that slight vacuum "suck", as air leaves a finely machined space. That little resistance of the bolt on a custom bolt action rifle, or screwing on a silencer. Most of the 3 piece razors I have show small amounts of slop in initial threading. Not this one.

It's head heavy, probably due to the bottom plate. Overall weight is somewhat less than the 50's Tech.

The shave.
Wow! Very different from the 50"s US Tech. A lot more blade feel, and moderate audible feedback. The 50's US Tech is almost dead silent to me, with minimal blade feel. Sometimes wonder if it's cutting it's so quiet. The heaviness of the head is unnoticeable in use. The shave result was extremely good. For a first use, darn near amazing.

I'm trying to master the One Pass Wonder Shave. Still had to do a second pass ATG under my jaw, which is common, but there wasn't much left to take off. Excited to see how it will do with some time and practice.

Excellent shave report, HH! Love my British Flat Bottom Tech, too! I reach for it way more than my pre- and postwar US Techs. I think I got mine from esteemed member @rabidus.. (who if memory serves likes the post-war Tech the best).

@G.W. - NRD is an instant classic acronym. I was racking my brain trying to figure that one out. Oh and that girl on your avatar makes me weak in the knees every time..

- NRD is an instant classic acronym. I was racking my brain trying to figure that one out. Oh and that girl on your avatar makes me weak in the knees every time..

It just popped into my head as i was typing, though I surely can't be the first to think of it. Heretofore, I am taking it to the streets, though. NRD will be known around the world!*

Yeah, I like the Brut ad, as well.

*I have a very active imagination that I can only just barely contain.

It just popped into my head as i was typing, though I surely can't be the first to think of it. Heretofore, I am taking it to the streets, though. NRD will be known around the world!*

Yeah, I like the Brut ad, as well.

*I have a very active imagination that I can only just barely contain.

Come on guys, this is potentially better than birthdays. They only happen once a year!
Sorry it's to late to edit the title. "NRD!!!!"

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
NRD YES! lol. It's a thing now haha.

Nice post, but I have to wait 48 hours before trying my new Tech.

Top Bottom