What's new

New too the forums and str8 shaving :)

hello i recently picked up straight razor shaving after dabbling with my shavette on and off. was mainly a de shaver. my first razor was a zy stainless that i ordered from ebay i took it straight out of the box and did my first shave 3 passes noticed it was a little lacking in the sharpness department(major razor burn) but just loved something about shaving with the straight so i then ordered a boker king cutter 5/8 and shaved with that out of the box... the results were actualy worse then the zy..... i kinda knew that going in but wanted to test it anyway. so i ordered a 12k naniwa to compliment my already diverse stone collection that i have from sharpening knives. i took the boker through 1000,3000,5000,8000,12000 and did the treetoping test and was quite disapointed at this point because it wouldnt even pick up a hair.... untill i hit the leather then wow it realy popped i will be waiting cple more days to test shave with it hope it works :)

Welcome. Give it 30 shaves and the results will start to improve. I would also suggest sending razor out to a professional for honing. That way you know what a truly shave ready razor feels like. After that you can hone your own and know if your razor is honed properly. If you need a recommendation, PM me.

hello i recently picked up straight razor shaving after dabbling with my shavette on and off. was mainly a de shaver. my first razor was a zy stainless that i ordered from ebay i took it straight out of the box and did my first shave 3 passes noticed it was a little lacking in the sharpness department(major razor burn) but just loved something about shaving with the straight so i then ordered a boker king cutter 5/8 and shaved with that out of the box... the results were actualy worse then the zy..... i kinda knew that going in but wanted to test it anyway. so i ordered a 12k naniwa to compliment my already diverse stone collection that i have from sharpening knives. i took the boker through 1000,3000,5000,8000,12000 and did the treetoping test and was quite disapointed at this point because it wouldnt even pick up a hair.... untill i hit the leather then wow it realy popped i will be waiting cple more days to test shave with it hope it works :)

Since you are a veteran at using sharpening devices, I would recommend you follow the "burr method" next time. Setting the Bevel with the Burr Method

I've been using a SR about 6 weeks everyday. New users will think the razor is tugging or resisting. I have 12 SR. I've prepared all, but three resulting in as effective shaves as I ever achieved using vintage DE or SE razors. Stay the course.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I fear they are right. Gettin atraight razors is like getting fleas. They multiple quickly. Razors are more fun though.

Greetings.

When you have questions, this community will be here to help. These guys can get anyone shaving well. Lurk around, catch up on some of the info in the straight razor shave clinic, and in the honing compendium (razors are not knives, but your prior experience will serve you well when you learn the couple of key differences). You're well underway.

As was pointed out to me after my first straight shave - "You already have infinitely more experience than more than 99% of men"!

Top Bottom