What's new

New TOBS Fan

I say this with the utmost respect for the brand but for some reason I have some issues with the two tubs of TOBS I’ve bought.

I love the slickness and the performance of the cream and I like the ease of getting a lather from it but I have problems with the scents.

I have the coconut cream which smells nothing like coconut to me and I bought the sandalwood cream and the scent to me smells almost like a bar of Ivory soap(which I do like the scent of Ivory, reminds me of childhood)

I know as with all parts of wet shaving your mileage may vary but has anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I got into wet shaving about a decade ago there weren't as many artisan suppliers like you have now. Back then TOBS was considered a top tier supplier for English branded products. We often talked of the '3 Ts' - Trumpers, TOBS, and Truefitt & Hill with reverence. Eventually, I think we decided they all used roughly the same cream base manufactured by Creightons with their proprietary scents added. They were good, smelled great when you had your scent picked out, and often had matching AS and colognes ( shampoos, hand soaps, etc ) so you could load up for bear.

Now there are tons of shave products being produced all over the world and the 3 Ts have fallen back to the pack a little, while still being good. I still have various TOBS scented products in the St James, Rose, Mr. Taylor, and Avocado lines that I use regularly, and will replace many of them when I use them up. In a similar vein I'll definitely replace my Trumper's GFT cream as well.

I think most of the selling point of TOBS now lies in their refined scent catalog, and the opportunity to get matching products for your shave cream/soap in the other grooming products they sell for many of their scent lines.

Just ordered the organic. I try to avoid scents and this was one of few options as far as unscented creams goes. Will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Back then TOBS was considered a top tier supplier for English branded products. We often talked of the '3 Ts' - Trumpers, TOBS, and Truefitt & Hill with reverence. Eventually, I think we decided they all used roughly the same cream base manufactured by Creightons with their proprietary scents added.

It's true that the 3Ts (and DRH) were made by Creightons.
But just to clarify, TOBS now is no longer made by them. (Same for DRH.)

It's true that the 3Ts (and DRH) were made by Creightons.
But just to clarify, TOBS now is no longer made by them. (Same for DRH.)

I thought that was the case but wasn't 100% sure. I liked the Creighton's cream enough that I picked up some Real Shave Company stuff that Creighton's made back in the day and that used to be available at one of the main drug chains here in the US ( may have been Rite-Aid but I can't recall ).

I must admit I'm not a giant cream fan anyway, but the TOBS scents are just good enough to keep me coming back when I run out of one.

I thought that was the case but wasn't 100% sure. I liked the Creighton's cream enough that I picked up some Real Shave Company stuff that Creighton's made back in the day and that used to be available at one of the main drug chains here in the US ( may have been Rite-Aid but I can't recall ).

I must admit I'm not a giant cream fan anyway, but the TOBS scents are just good enough to keep me coming back when I run out of one.

Indeed. It's a fine cream. Not amazing, but the scents and price make up for performance that isn't necessarily the best. My tub of peppermint is almost empty and when it comes time to replace it the only other well known pure peppermint cream or soap that I am aware of is Art of Shaving. I'm sure it's good, but is it $13 better than the TOBS? (I doubt it).

TOBS Sandalwood is a staple here in this community, many guys here swear by them, and use them daily. I used the Sandalwood not too long ago and burned through a tub of it. I like it and thought it was a good cream, nice and thick and lots and lots of protection. The only thing that was a disappointment was the smell, it wasn't really what I thought it was going to be, when I was comparing it too Proraso Red.

I'm actually eye balling a tub of Geo F Trumpers now, but we will see.

Sandalwood is actually a fougere. I think those expecting a real sandalwood end up disappointed. It's a nice fougere though.

I like the St. James! I Just wish the sent was a little stronger since there is no post shave balm for the St. James
St. James and Eton College are my two go-to creams. I use them with the aftershave and colognes, respectively. I find that aftershave splashes are just fine if you put on moisturizer first--kind of like making your own balm.

If you really like the St. James scent (as I do), then you should try the deodorant. I find that it actually keeps me smelling better than any other deodorant out there. The scent is truer to the cream than even the cologne!

I have used Sandalwood, Mr. Taylor's, Grapefruit, Rose, Almond, and Lavender in the past. All were good. I need to try Royal Forest and Cedarwood--I have high expectations!

Top Bottom