What's new

New to wetshaving, new to the forum

I'm gonna start off by saying thanks.

Thanks to this online community for the wealth of knowledge and information posted here on threads and in the wiki that has been valuable for wetshaving newbies like myself. In particular to @ambrose for his method to break in shaving brushes, @Marco for his soap lathering method, @Dragonsbeard for his World Shave-off thread, @jamesspo for his Excalibur thread with info to getting the most out of a DE blade, @ShavingByTheNumbers for his infographic on blade angles, @Cal, @Raven Koenes, @Chan Eil Whiskers +@Esox for the information posted on Fatips, and many many others.

Like most people nowadays, I've been using cartridges and canned goo since I was old enough to shave, but have recently converted to DE wetshaving for a better quality and environmentally friendlier shave. It's supposed to be cheaper too (at least that's what I told myself to justify this new activity, it's not like I'll get any razor, soap, blade, brush and other acquisition disorders and end up spending loads, right guys? Right?:biggrin1:.....).

My dad uses cartridges and always has, so unfortunately I don't have the family connection or childhood memories many of you guys have of watching your fathers shave with DEs/SEs/straights when starting out with traditional shaving. This means I've had to rely on only the good old internet for my wetshaving information. After lurking various forums, reading guides and watching many of the wetshaving youtube channels such as mantic59, nick shaves, Michael Freedberg, geofatboy, Shave Tank , Kevy Shaves, Executive Shaving, PaulHfilms, Friendship Shaving, Another Cut Above and others (feel free to share any other great youtubers to learn from), I decided to take the plunge and dive right in.

This is what I have (so far):

Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84 - I know the usual advice to beginners is to get a razor like a 34C, or a DE89/R89 before moving on to something else but I wanted something fairly efficient for my dense coarse beard that is not made of zamak. A mid-aggressive/large blade gap razor that will punish bad technique but also give me a wider range of usable blade angles will hopefully be beginner-friendly too. I also take a "buy it for life"/ "he who buys cheap, buys twice" approach, so I'll pay a bit more for a 316 SS razor that will last rather than buy a zamak one and keep replacing it once it corrodes/accidentally breaks after a drop.

I'm having my first few shaves using the conventional 3-pass WTG/XTG/ATG approach (ATG is particularly challenging since beard-mapping shows that my neck grain goes sideways) and it's going well so far, bar the occasional nick/weeper caused by poor technique and pressure, a bad habit developed from years of cartridge use.

Also have a Fatip piccolo on the way intended to use as a travel razor. This was bought new so it will be the less aggressive v2 with the slightly wider top cap, but still efficient enough for every-other-day shaving.

I've picked the DE format due to the wider availability of modern razors/ blades/information out there (compared to SEs) + relative ease of use and speed (compared to using a straight).

Brushes: Simpsons Colonel X2L best badger (22mm knot, 45mm loft, broken in with the Ambrose method), Maggards tuxedo synthetic (24mm knot 58mm loft).

Blades: Astra SP (only ones I have used so far, on my 15th use of a blade that is still going strong thanks to the Excalibur thread info), feather hi stainless, polsilver SI, voskhod, personna platinum, rapira platinum lux, Derby

Soaps: MWF, Proraso Red, Phoenix+Beau Pall Mall, Tabac shave stick for travelling

Creams: Castle Forbes Lavender, TOBS Cedarwood

I'm based in the UK and like supporting local businesses hence my British creams and soaps (with the exception of tabac and proraso)

I look forward to posting more/getting to know the wonderful people on here!

Last edited:
Welcome! I wish I purchased something better right off the bat like you did. Now I'm spending time trying to get an actual first razor. Sounds like you have done everything right so far.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome! Great choices, sir.

Remember, prep is key. And a light touch with the razor!

Indeed, I learnt that lesson rather quickly during the first couple of shaves after using pressure (as one would with cartridge razors) and getting some nice little nicks to show for it.

Welcome! I wish I purchased something better right off the bat like you did. Now I'm spending time trying to get an actual first razor. Sounds like you have done everything right so far.

Thanks! I don't get why beginners in many different hobbies+activities (e.g. outdoor sports, cooking, musical instruments, metalwork/woodworking, specialty coffee etc) are often advised to first obtain cheap, bottom-of-the-range equipment then upgrade later. Usually the better equipment (mid-range and upwards) will have extra user-friendliness or other features that make it easier for beginners and will also have good resale value if the beginner doesn't take to the hobby, as opposed to the cheaper equipment which can be temperamental or requiring greater skill to get the most out of.

Personally enjoying the GC .84 so far, not sure if it will be up your alley with the wider blade gap and supposedly mid-aggressive blade feel (I say "supposedly" because I personally have no reference point or experience in razor aggression having only used a grand total of 1 DE razor, just going by what I have read). Then again I have dense, coarse stubble and quite thick skin (in more than one sense) and have somehow not got razor burn/redness despite poor technique

Last edited:
hanks! I don't get why beginners in many different hobbies+activities (e.g. outdoor sports, cooking, musical instruments, metalwork/woodworking, specialty coffee etc) are often advised to first obtain cheap, bottom-of-the-range equipment then upgrade later. Usually the better equipment (mid-range and upwards) will have extra user-friendliness or other features that make it easier for beginners and will also have good resale value if the beginner doesn't take to the hobby, as opposed to the cheaper equipment which can be temperamental or requiring greater skill to get the most out of.
I bought a Weishi one night simply because it was cheap. Shaving has always been a burden to me, I wasn't going to spend a lot of cash on something that I dreaded doing each day. Plus I already had everything I needed to get me through a work week. I had no idea that was all going to change, and change is what it is costing me now. A couple years ago, I would have laughed at anyone spending $10-15 on shave soap, yet, here I am....

I bought a Weishi one night simply because it was cheap. Shaving has always been a burden to me, I wasn't going to spend a lot of cash on something that I dreaded doing each day. Plus I already had everything I needed to get me through a work week. I had no idea that was all going to change, and change is what it is costing me now. A couple years ago, I would have laughed at anyone spending $10-15 on shave soap, yet, here I am....

Hey if the Weishi works for you, that's great too. I've read that their Merkur Futur clone is supposed to be pretty decent.

I too am finding that shaving used to be a burden/unpleasant necessity, but since converting to DE razors it is now a meditative, almost therapeutic activity which is also multisensory (tactile feeling of brushes+blades, smell of the soap, sound of the razor cutting stubble etc). I guess we can justify spending more on shaving soap when replacement cartridges cost so much

Welcome to the forum! There are several online shaving supply companies that seem to have good prices on shaving supplies.

Top Bottom